Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd post a description of the changes between the Limited Edition and the re-print that is printing as I write. The changes were based on feedback from the Limited Edition, manufacturing requirements and personal feelings.

First the box design has changed significantly. I wasn't especially keen on the Limited Edition art (though I know a lot of you are), I wanted something simpler and brighter that would stand out on the shelf a bit more. Plus, The Wife hated the grey background and she's my art director . This lead to the new front design:

I also changed the back, I wanted it to be clear from the back that the new edition was in English & German, hence the German text, I also wanted less & bigger text and I had to add a few things (barcode, address, CE mark).

The next change is one that garnered a lot of confusion during demoing the Limited Edition: the leg artwork. This was frequently mistaken for an arm (the pointy kneecap and bulging hamstring/bicep causing confusion). The new art is a bit clearer and hopefully will avoid all the confusion:

This picture also demonstrates the black border around the cards which was requested by the manufacturer.

I also overhauled the player guide, making it twice the size to allow both the game overview and the card distribution to appear on one side. This frees up the other side for a German version. Improvements here include showing the fact that there's three of each coffin & Villagers' Uprising denomination:

The wooden coins have also been replaced with thick card ones (ones and fives, the same size as Puerto Rico with a design front and back.

Finally, there have been some minor rules changes based on feedback. The rules have been edited slightly for clarity, and a couple of minor things have changed:

* You can now pay off a Villagers' Uprising with any combination of cards and coins. This reduces the damage of drawing a four Villagers' Uprising followed by a six (which would have cost you 10 in the Limited Edition, and only costs six in the second edition). Getting lots of Villagers won't finish you off as a result, as lots is no worse than one six unless you've spent them buying cards from graveyards a little too early.

* You can now buy from graveyards using any combination of cards and coins. This makes the graveyards a slightly more attractive option.

Of course either ruleset can be played with either edition, so the early adopters don't get stung

The re-print will arrive at my warehouse in about three weeks. Once they are here I'll fulfill pre-orders first (you've got three weeks left to earn your 30% discount!), then shops and distributors. As yet none of the distributors I'm talking to in the US/Europe have ordered. The Americans in particular want to see a finished product, so it is likely to be a couple of months after the release before it's widely available in the US.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed post about the differances!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
This picture also demonstrates the black border around the cards which was requested by the manufacturer.
Really? Why would they care? What difference does it make?

Great update, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! The new edition looks great.

Although, the rules changes I'm not so sure about. The card-or-coin aspect was one I liked. Guess I'll have to play it both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the limited edition with the new rules the other day. It was an improvement for us, but mostly because we used to try and mix coins/cards before. Now it seems more natural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic Update! Thank you for the detailed comparison.

I am extremely happy I can play my original edition with the updated rules!

Will there be a way for people with the limited edition to download the new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you expect to be contacting those who "pre-ordered" for their payment? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the author prefers the original rules. But the author is also of the opinion that people should play how they like, not how the author likes.

Yehuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:

Thanks for the detailed post about the differances!
You're welcome.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:

Really? Why would they care? What difference does it make?

Great update, btw.
Having solid coloured borders (usually black or white) allows the manufacturer to lay cards next to each other on the print sheet and separate them with a single cut. If they have artwork right to the edges then the artwork needs to 'bleed' off the edge of the card (to allow for print/cutting mismatches) and two cuts are needed.

unixrevolution wrote:

Excellent! The new edition looks great.

Although, the rules changes I'm not so sure about. The card-or-coin aspect was one I liked. Guess I'll have to play it both ways.
Try it both ways and play the way you prefer. The second edition rules address a couple of particular problems, but some people will prefer it the old way, which is more painful

anarchy wrote:

I played the limited edition with the new rules the other day. It was an improvement for us, but mostly because we used to try and mix coins/cards before. Now it seems more natural.
Glad you're happy

Solamar wrote:

Fantastic Update! Thank you for the detailed comparison.

I am extremely happy I can play my original edition with the updated rules!

Will there be a way for people with the limited edition to download the new rules?
I'll put the new English & German PDFs up on my website (and link to them from here) tomorrow.

Aging One wrote:

When do you expect to be contacting those who "pre-ordered" for their payment? zombie
As soon as the games arrive back from the manufacturers, should be in about three weeks.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
Having solid coloured borders (usually black or white) allows the manufacturer to lay cards next to each other on the print sheet and separate them with a single cut. If they have artwork right to the edges then the artwork needs to 'bleed' off the edge of the card (to allow for print/cutting mismatches) and two cuts are needed.
Ah. From the picture there, I thought they already had a white border, and were insisting on a black border instead, which was why I couldn't understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Steven,

No, the limited edition had bleeding artwork (I didn't mind doing the double cuts by hand), and that's what they wanted changed.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the rules update, although I think I'll stick with the LD rules to be fair- I'd say that being able to buy from graveyard with coins/parts in combo would make the game too easy, although I know a friend who complains because you can't do this so fair enough. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Brad,

As mentioned before either set of rules will work for either edition. The cards and coins combo for Villagers was to combat the case where someone got a 4 Villagers and had to pay four, and then got a 6 Villagers. In this case in the Limited Edition you had to pay another six since you couldn't use the Villagers you'd already collected to pay off the next one. Have to spend 10 on Villagers pretty much stuffed you.

As for the cards and coins for the graveyard, this was to combat a perceived problem with the graveyard purchases being too expensive and hence almost never used. Although YMMV. Play with either set of rules - just enjoy the game

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Buying out of the graveyard is too expensive? We've not had anyone say this- it's no different then turning over the top card and paying for it in my opinion, and at least when you are stealing out of graveyards you can see what's on offer!

Thanks for the game. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules are that you pay the cost of the item, or discard a card of equal value or higher, to move the item out of someone's graveyard to the middle of the table instead of flipping a card to the middle of the table. Then you still have to buy or auction the card.

So pulling an item out of a graveyard costs, in essence, double that of buying the random draw.

If you've simply been buying the card out of the graveyard directly to your slab, then you're not playing by the actual rules.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shade_Jon wrote:

If you've simply been buying the card out of the graveyard directly to your slab, then you're not playing by the actual rules.

Yehuda
Opps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eumel 2010
msg tools
mb
Shade_Jon wrote:
Ooops, too. I must have missed this rule-update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eumel2010 wrote:
Shade_Jon wrote:
Ooops, too. I must have missed this rule-update.
Well not to worry, you've almost been playing with the new rules all along! I think the new rules should be an improvement as buying graveyards cards was hardly worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old rules were:
You can get the top card from a graveyard into the middle by discarding a card (of equal or higher value) or the correct number of coins, then you buy, sell or auction it as normal - you pay twice.

The new rules are:
You can get the top card from a graveyard into the middle by discarding any combination of cards and/or coins (of combined value at least as high as the value of the sourced card), then you buy, sell or auction it as normal - you pay twice.

The only difference is it's slightly easier to get the card into the middle.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls