Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be doing a road trip sometime in the first 2 weeks of August. I'm not sure when within that window. The general path is up from NY through Vermont, up to Burlington, then over to New Hampshire, working our way down. Not much purpose other than "see some states we haven't seen".

So, I was wondering - while I've looked at the FLGS listings here, I seek a specific type of game store - one that has been around for a while and usually has some dusty shelves of older boardgames and/or used boardgames. I'm not interested in selections of newer stuff.

Also, are there any game days or boardgame meetups of local clubs during the first half of August in Burlington, Monpelier, Concord, or Manchester, or points between?

As an aside, we aren't going to Boston on the trip - our focus is VT and NH.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hickernell
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, depending on the route you take up to VT you may pass through Greenfield, Mass. which has an excellent FLGS that appears to meet your criteria: Greenfield Games (www.griffongames.com, 228 Main Street).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy that's tough. There used to be a game store in Meredith, NH (near Lake Winnipesaukee) but I think it's closed. In any case I think they carried newer stuff.

There's Charlies Comics & Games in North Conway, but that's WAYYYY off the beaten track, and I have no idea what their selection is like. But it might be in just such an out-of-the-way store that you find dusty old, shrinkwrapped copies of Betrayal at House on the Hill or something. Who knows. You could call them and see what they have:

(603) 356-7020‎

Other than that, I'm not sure what to say. There's probably a game store in Manchester, but I'm unaware of any. Possibly Concord too, but Googling doesn't seem to bring anything up.

Oh, there's The Game Castle in Nashua Londonderry, but that's a retail shop with all new stuff, I think. They MIGHT carry used games, but you'd have to call them:

www.thegamecastle.com
(603)-425-7400

Good luck and have a nice trip. It's a beautiful part of the country, and if you get to spend some time on the Kancamagus Highway, it's pretty cool (and leads near North Conway, of all places)

EDIT: Game Castle is in Londonderry, not Nashua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too look out for the old dusty game store... they are dying off

Quarterstaff Games in Burlington, VT does buy used games, so at times there is a small selection of boardgames sitting in the used section. They have quite a bit of used or on sale RPG material though.

While Quarterstaff was once one of those wonderfully anemic dusty game stores, the new management knows how to run a business and they've moved out all of the old inventory in big sales and via ebay. Quite a good FLGS now though.

There isn't any game store in Montpelier, at least nothing I've heard of from gamers who live there.

You might want to try and stop at Flights of Fantasy in Albany, NY. I haven't been to their new location they moved to in the last year, however they were quite the dusty/musty game store, though their boardgame selection was never huge. They are also a fantasy/sci-fi book store with a lot of older material, so if you want some geeky summer reading they can't be beat.

As for gaming, my wife and I host a game session each Thursday evening that you're more than welcome to attend. We'll be out of town the first week of August, but we'll have our regular session on 14th. We live in South Burlington, Vermont.

Quarterstaff Games has a boardgame session each Tuesday I believe.

http://www.quarterstaffgames.com/

In Montpelier the Langdon Street Cafe has a Tuesday night game session also... well, I think it's Tuesday.

http://langdonstreetcafe.com/

Now, if you're going to be in the Burlington area, what you REALLY want to do in terms of destination game stores would be to take a day trip and head up to Montreal in Quebec, just around 2 hours each way, and go to Le Valet d'Coeur on St. Denis Street. Not only is Montreal worth a peek, you feel like you just got plopped down in Europe, but the game store has an incredible collection of games, some of which fit into the collecting dust category. They have a great euro game selection, better than anything I've seen in the states, with even some older more obscure stuff. They are even having a sale during your travel time!

http://www.levalet.com/

Lastly, there is a game store in Lebanon, NH which fits more into the old dusty game store category. The name escapes me, but it is tucked away in the small downtown walking area by the town green. Colburn Park is the town green, which has parking all around it. It's a good stop for lunch and a peek at the game store on the drive down.

Enjoy your trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, if you're going to be in the Burlington area, what you REALLY want to do in terms of destination game stores would be to take a day trip and head up to Montreal in Quebec, just around 2 hours each way, and go to Le Valet d'Coeur on St. Denis Street. Not only is Montreal worth a peek, you feel like you just got plopped down in Europe, but the game store has an incredible collection of games, some of which fit into the collecting dust category. They have a great euro game selection, better than anything I've seen in the states, with even some older more obscure stuff. They are even having a sale during your travel time!

Oh yeah, I've been to this shop a number of times. It is the best game shop I've been to in the US/Canada. I also order from them online, as they carry some of the Euro lines that aren't at many other shops.

The other great benefit to this one is that there's a gourmet cooking shop across the street, and my partner is a gourmet cook (and not a gamer). So, this location is ideal, in that we each have a "toy store" to explore and we usually each come out with several bags.

But, for this trip, I want to explore Vermont and New Hampshire as destinations and not just paths between Boston/Albany and Quebec.

Actually, if anyone out there has suggestions for cool tourist stuff to see, that would be welcomed.
Ben & Jerry's is on the list. I don't see a lot of festivals/fairs during the time we'll be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, I've been to this shop a number of times. It is the best game shop I've been to in the US/Canada. I also order from them online, as they carry some of the Euro lines that aren't at many other shops.

The other great benefit to this one is that there's a gourmet cooking shop across the street, and my partner is a gourmet cook (and not a gamer). So, this location is ideal, in that we each have a "toy store" to explore and we usually each come out with several bags.

But, for this trip, I want to explore Vermont and New Hampshire as destinations and not just paths between Boston/Albany and Quebec.

Actually, if anyone out there has suggestions for cool tourist stuff to see, that would be welcomed.
Ben & Jerry's is on the list. I don't see a lot of festivals/fairs during the time we'll be there.

My wife and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Montpelier, VT one time several years back. Montpelier has a neat downtown and is just a very pretty area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Castle is in LONDONDERRY, not Manchester . About 3 miles off Rt 93 .

Manchester doesn't have anything to speak of. In fact, NH in general is pretty lame for game stores . Game Castle is mostly minis and Warhammer stuff, with a small smattering of Euros . No used stuff.

Myriad Games in Salem NH is all Euro/parlor type games . Decent selection and friendly staff . No used stuff either.

http://www.myriadgames.com/catalog/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Their website says Nashua Rd, Londonderry. I mistakenly said Nashua as the city in my post. will go up and edit.

Marty S wrote:

Manchester doesn't have anything to speak of. In fact, NH in general is pretty lame for game stores . Game Castle is mostly minis and Warhammer stuff, with a small smattering of Euros . No used stuff.

Myriad Games in Salem NH is all Euro/parlor type games . Decent selection and friendly staff . No used stuff either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith

Cold Spring Harbor
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The store in Lebanon is called Triple Play. They sell miniatures, sports memorabilia, and have a small selection of Euros in the back.

Nice place! I used to do magic drafts there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:

Since I was headed north on I-93, I stopped by Game Castle. Their selection of Euros wasn't huge, but they had a decent amount, including most of the popular stuff (BSG, Agricola). Everything was full retail.

They also had some gaming space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
They also had some gaming space.
which when active is loaded with kids playing mini's, ccg's, etc (I live 10 minutes from them and wish they had euro board gaming but that's not what most game stores around here survive on by promoting/selling, it's those kids that pay the rent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Also, are there any game days or boardgame meetups of local clubs during the first half of August in Burlington, Monpelier, Concord, or Manchester, or points between?

As an aside, we aren't going to Boston on the trip - our focus is VT and NH.
Ah, wish I had seen your post last year... would have been better to post in the New England guild forums... ad hoc list at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/170885

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls