BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Re : Game Shop(s) in Los Angeles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chow chun man
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Dear all friends,

I live in Hong Kong and will have a trip to Los Angeles next week.

I wonder whether any friends live in Los Angeles can give some recommondation about the local game shop(s) (or other interesting places) that so that I can pay a visit at my leisure time.

Thx all for your reply in advance.

Jack C.M. Chow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stance Nixon
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time do you have? and where will you be staying. That affects what you can do.
Some shop names below, there are more, but I believe you can search for all of these on the Web.
Aero Hobbies
The War House
Brookhurst Hobbies
Gameology

Way to many things to do. Do you like tourist stuff, sporting events, Disneyland (if you have a full day and lots of money). I know of a guy who teaches surfing (if he is back in town). Lots of great places to eat.

There are several gaming groups and your message here on BGG should get you connected to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For stores, I'll also recommend Game Empire in Pasadena. But like the previous poster said, LA is a big place, so it depends on where you are staying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to rank area stores based on overall experience (selection, service, amenities), I'd say:

1. Game Empire (Pasadena)
2. Gameology (Claremont)
3. Seth's Games (Ventura)
4. Brookhurst Hobbies (Garden Grove)
5. The War House (Long Beach)

Otherwise, the rest would be ranked based on your personal preferences. But since you don't have anything logged in (such as games owned, played, or interested in), I can't really suggest any of these over another:

A Hidden Fortress (Simi Valley, mostly collectible games, some boardgames)
Aero Hobbies (Santa Monica, mostly miniatures, some older boardgames)
All Ways Gaming (Chatsworth, mostly Euros and CCG's)
Farrescape (Frazier Park, haven't visited, I understand focused on minis)
Kitty World (Van Nuys, exclusively collectibles)
Knight Ware (Studio City, limited spread of all genres)
The Last Grenadier (Burbank, mostly boardgames and minis)

I also know of at least 2 stores in the Riverside area, but I don't have details about either, much less names.

You'll have to visit Google Maps to get locations, relative to where you're staying. Aero Hobbies and The War House would be the 2 stores closest to LAX airport.

Also, visit http://socalgamers.info for info on groups, scheduled game days and other activities in Southern California.

Hope this information helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been to Game Empire and All Ways Gaming.

Game Empire is a large store with tons of tables already setup. If you like miniatures, they have brandslike Warmachine. They also have CCGs, board games and war games. I'm not too keen with the owner.

The store I live close to is All Ways Gaming. The store is smaller, but it houses a lot of things. They have board games, war gamers, ccgs, abstracts, tv with the wii and xbox, ddr, pcs and even arcades. The owner's name is Beverly and she's real nice. I highly recommend this place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would pass on Always Gaming......it's more into ccg's and it attracts all the rowdy teens. the prices are high and the noisy kids can't stand it if you want to chat with the owner about games. i like the owner.......hate the store.

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacknightjj wrote:
i would pass on Always Gaming......it's more into ccg's and it attracts all the rowdy teens. the prices are high and the noisy kids can't stand it if you want to chat with the owner about games. i like the owner.......hate the store.

stay well,

jj

I don't recall their prices being any higher than retail price. They might be behind the times with a markdown or two (say, for Axis & Allies Miniatures), but I can't say for sure. And they have a clearance table, something most game stores refuse to do.

Are the kids really concerned if you're talking with the owner, or their buddy who works there for her? I've never been interrupted by non-business dealings when speaking with Beverly.

I know the store's been trying to improve its service and selection over the past couple years. But I honestly haven't been to it frequently enough to see if the service has truly improved, but the games selection has improved dramatically. It's clear they're trying to reach out to non-CCG'ers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend the War House. Especially if you're coming from abroad. The place looks like an alleyway pawn shop. And nothing is on sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chow chun man
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for all of your reply.

Helpful and much appreciated.

Jack C.M. Chow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls