Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PA-FLGS [+] [View All]
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to give a huge thumbs-up to The Games Keep in West Chester, PA. This shop is a gamer's dream - it's well stocked with all of the recent releases as well as a great selection of the classics. The owner, Karl, is a pleasure to deal with and incredibly helpful - this is a place that truly puts the Friendly in FLGS. Karl offers a gaming space in the back with a large number of store copies of games and hosts regular gaming sessions (I haven't been able to attend one due to distance but the fact that it's offered gives them kudos in my book). In addition, the prices are excellent. The store regularly offers a discount of 5%-10% on games - I just stopped today and picked up Railroad Tycoon for $54. To find that in a B&M is a rare gem indeed. (And Karl didn't even blink as my three boys ran around the store!)

The only negative for me is the distance - it's a little too far for me to drive regularly. Still, it's always worth the trip. If you live in the Philadelphia/Reading/Wilmington area, you owe it to yourself to drop in and check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
I wanted to give a huge thumbs-up to The Games Keep in West Chester, PA. This shop is a gamer's dream - it's well stocked with all of the recent releases as well as a great selection of the classics. The owner, Karl, is a pleasure to deal with and incredibly helpful - this is a place that truly puts the Friendly in FLGS. Karl offers a gaming space in the back with a large number of store copies of games and hosts regular gaming sessions (I haven't been able to attend one due to distance but the fact that it's offered gives them kudos in my book). In addition, the prices are excellent. The store regularly offers a discount of 5%-10% on games - I just stopped today and picked up Railroad Tycoon for $54. To find that in a B&M is a rare gem indeed. (And Karl didn't even blink as my three boys ran around the store!)

The only negative for me is the distance - it's a little too far for me to drive regularly. Still, it's always worth the trip. If you live in the Philadelphia/Reading/Wilmington area, you owe it to yourself to drop in and check them out.

Had you posted this 3 days ago, I would have went yesterday (we were in the Philadelphia area for a funeral)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:

I stopped in about 18 months ago when I had some business in Valley Forge. Great place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always buy on line but when I do buy locally in Philly area, I go to the Compleat Strategist in burbs. They carry almost all new and older games but sell at list price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work right there in West Chester and stopped into this shop when they first opened their doors. It is a nice store with nice folks and a good selection. Compared to another game store in the relative area (specifically, Main Street, Newark) this one is a gem! I highly recommend dropping in and checking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow! good find. Hmm, that's like 20 minutes from my in-laws place. Will have to stop by next time I'm up there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a solid store. I just picked up WoW Adventure game, Lifeboats cardgame expansion and Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
I work near West Chester and have bought from Karl once. I've also bought from the Compleat Strategist and Abington Games (Both in the burbs).

I agree that The Games Keep is the best FLGS in the Philly area. Great selection, great prices and friendly owner. I will definitely be going back there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
I work near West Chester and have bought from Karl once. I've also bought from the Compleat Strategist and Abington Games (Both in the burbs).

I've occasionally bought from the Compleat Strategist, but I find their prices to be high and the staff isn't overly friendly. Don't drop by when there's a game on and expect to get any assistance. It's convenient for me though, so they do get a small amount of my business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
remus wrote:

I've occasionally bought from the Compleat Strategist, but I find their prices to be high and the staff isn't overly friendly. Don't drop by when there's a game on and expect to get any assistance. It's convenient for me though, so they do get a small amount of my business.

I agree. Games Keep wins in all three categories. Compleat Strategist has a decent selection, but their prices are too high and the staff is "mixed". I've had friendly and cold experiences there. Abington Games has a very friendly staff, decent prices (not as good as Games Keep off the bat, but they have alot of specials, coupons and discount club cards which easily brings prices as low or lower than Games Keep). Abington lacks in selection, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from the Games Keep, based on these recommendations, and I can add my voice to the chorus. The owner is a really nice guy and very knowledgeable about the games he keeps. Also, the selection was excellent and there were quite a few hard-to-find titles - though slightly fewer after I left!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls