Popular Tags: Chicagoland [+] [View All]
Linda Schmidt

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
www.cat-n-mouse.com
badge
2212 W. Armitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60647 (773) 384-4454
Greetings, Chicago gamers! I'd like to give everyone the heads up that a new game store is coming to Chicago. Cat & Mouse game store is scheduled to open in early September in Bucktown. Visit our web site at http://www.cat-n-mouse.com for more information about the store and updates as we get closer to opening day. Hope to see you there!

Happy Gaming,

Linda Schmidt
Owner, Cat and Mouse Game Store Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow! A potential source for Go, wargames, and Heroscape (judging by your photos) that doesn't require me to drive an hour out to Mount Prospect?! I'm totally there.

Will there be gaming space and/or events? There are quite a few gamers of various persuasions in the city that would be very enthusiastic about helping to develop a gaming hub in the city.

Could you provide a bit more detail about what you will and will not be stocking? If someone were to go to your store looking for a typical genre (Euros, wargames, minis, etc.), roughly how much could they expect to find?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
Hong Kong
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In this day and age it is just great to hear that a new FLGS is opening up.

Wish your venture a huge success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a bit far for me to travel on a regular basis (especially with work on the Edens). However, if you post special events here on BGG, I'll definitely make the trip here and there.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been nice to have this while I was living in Chicago, but, since secondhand info is that the only FLGS in Chicago is closing up shop, this is a niche needing to be filled. Not everyone has a day to run up to Mt. Prospect.

I wish you luck. That's a great area. And, if you see Ted, Jason or Mike (you'll recognize them--they'll be begging you to get ASL stuff in, and maybe Pursuit of Glory), tell them hi from Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there when it opens, and yes I have heard through the grape vine that there will be gaming spaces available. I am looking forward to having a location in Chicago as I know several people are as well.

It is in a great location, easy access off the highway, good restaurants, and close to the blue line.

I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Schmidt

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
www.cat-n-mouse.com
badge
2212 W. Armitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60647 (773) 384-4454
Hi Todd,

What you won't find at Cat & Mouse is easy: no unpainted minis and no RPG's except D&D 4E.

What you will find will be an extensive collection of Euros, from family-friendly games to advanced strategy. American-style games (e.g. the Fantasy Flight behemoths) will also be well represented. We'll regularly stock maybe 15-20 war game titles, depending on the demand. For pre-painted minis, we're starting with Heroscape, D&D, and Star Wars, and might add a fourth if there's a customer base for something else. Classics such as Chess and Go will be there. We'll also have a broad range of children's games including European brands such as HABA and Selecta, puzzles (jigsaw, metal, wood, brainteasers, etc.) and a smattering of toys since the neighborhood is swarming with families. We'll only stock a few core CCG titles, and don't plan on focusing our efforts there.

We started on the shelving today and totally changed the layout that was planned, so things are a bit in flux. However, we do plan on having space for 3-4 permanent tables that will be available for open gaming, and the space will be flexible enough that we can bring in more tables for special events. (We like to throw parties, so YES there will be events!) The space will really be designed for boardgaming, not for setting up miniature armies or running CCG events.

Hope that answers your questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard tale of this new game store, and you have a customer in me. I've played games with Andre many times and have enjoyed it every time.

Now that you're a retailer, you need an avatar and maybe some microbadges to show off. I'll donate some geekgold to get you started.

Mark Wilder
Evanston

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds perfect, Linda - thanks for the detailed response. I'm particularly excited about there being dedicated boardgaming space, as there really isn't anything like this anywhere in the city to the best of my knowledge. I hope you'll reach out to local gamers for help running events - most of us would love to join in.

I look forward to seeing you when you open your doors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
September 6th at 10am this new store will be open! I plan to be at the front door when it's unlocked. I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I saw another thread about a second game store opening, or just open, in Chicago (somewhere on Kedzie?)! Good news all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I finally have a real FLGS!
I just got back from the grand (pre-)opening party, and I've gotta tell y'all just how impressed I was with the setup that Cat-n-Mouse has going on.

The space is very attractive, open, and inviting; it fits in very well with the upscale boutiques in the Wicker Park neighborhood that it sits just on the northern edge of. It's a small space, but they manage to pack a lot of games onto the shelves without sacrificing the feeling of spaciousness. Tonight, the place was packed with more people than would probably be in the store on an average day, but it still wasn't as claustrophobic as the Gamer's Paradise over in the Century Center mall.

To boot, the game selection at C-n-M puts Gamer's Paradise to shame; it's a hobby gamer treasure trove, light on RPG, miniature, and wargame selections, but possessing a fantastic selection of Euros and Ameritrash games. The games are thoughtfully shelved, with a wall for family games and puzzles over there, a rack of lighter Euro fare on this other side, heavier games over there, and a corner full of FFGish chromey goodness. I picked up Yetisburg and the Z-Man reprint of Shadow Hunters, and reckon I'll sneak back in the near future to snag a copy of Stone Age.

As much as I appreciate Games Plus, it's a ways out for us city folk and the old school nerd atmosphere can be kind of off-putting to normal people (like wives). As well, I'm happy to hear about Black Sun, but it seems more focused on miniatures and RPGs. Cat-n-Mouse fills a unique niche in the Chicago gaming culture, and is exactly the kind of store that the hobby needs to expand its reach.

I'm happy to say that I finally have a FLGS in my city!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was at the grand opening party and I really like the store. I especially like the owners... very good people. The place was packed and I was quite surprised at the selection of really great game titles. I walked out with several games I had been meaning to pick up for awhile. There is plenty of space for gaming, the store is very bright and airy, especially when you figure in Chicago space comes at a premium.

Now I like playing Euros but I also like wargames myself and they had a good selection of GMT games, and I was told they were willing to order whatever I wanted with a quick turn around.

I have been waiting for a local store to open up and I look forward to spending my hard earned cash there and attending various game nights. It is not hard to find parking, there are some good restaurants near by and it is one block from the blue line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a special point to write down the date of the grand opening -- too bad I didn't remember to look at what I wrote until it was too late. I'm going to try to see what the fuss is about sometime this week, and hopefully there's still some leftover grand opening cake and cookies to be had.

By the way, I see on the website there's going to be a Board Game Night, September 23, 7-9:30 p.m. They plan on it being a bi-weekly thing.

(And Family Gaming on Sept. 21 (please RSVP) and a Go afternoon on Sept. 27. See their website at http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/events.html.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got in-laws in town during the Heroscape session next week, but hope to make it for Go on the 27th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
I too was at the grand opening party and I really like the store. I especially like the owners... very good people. The place was packed and I was quite surprised at the selection of really great game titles. I walked out with several games I had been meaning to pick up for awhile. There is plenty of space for gaming, the store is very bright and airy, especially when you figure in Chicago space comes at a premium.

Now I like playing Euros but I also like wargames myself and they had a good selection of GMT games, and I was told they were willing to order whatever I wanted with a quick turn around.

I have been waiting for a local store to open up and I look forward to spending my hard earned cash there and attending various game nights. It is not hard to find parking, there are some good restaurants near by and it is one block from the blue line.

I visited the store and bought a few items as gifts.

I was unaware that the store would order requested items! They should advertise this capability on that huge chalkboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls