Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I could not have bought one at GenCon even if I wanted one since Eric said they had some shipping snafu and they are stuck at the docks or something, but I looked at the demo copy they had as closely as I could. Anyway, here is the skinny on what the troll does:

Deploys on the field
Ordered normally (as a blue unit), or pay 3 lore to move out of section
Move 1 and attack or 2 and no attack
Morale: Bold (but MUST ignore first flag);Retreat: 2 spaces and trample
Weapon: Cleaver- melee only
Damage: 6d
No bonus strikes
Ignores enemy bonus strikes
Gives support but can not be supported

Starts game with 2 lore token "hit points". Takes one point of damage for each blue helmet rolled on an attack against it. If it takes damage when it has no hit points, it is defeated. If the troll rolls lore on its attack, it can replace hit points but can never have more than two.

I mentioned to the game guide how disappointed I was with the way it was being packaged since I hated the idea of paying for a paper map I'll never use. I want the cardboard hex piece and deployment cards. He basically agreed but then quickly added that this was how it was being sold, which I would call "toeing the company line."

(edited Saturday, 8-16 after a much closer look and review)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Troll stats
Ordered normally as what colour of unit? (I'm guessing blue)

Moves how far?

DoW once said that, whgile the first three creatures all cost 1 'lore level' each, there would one day be creatures that cost more than one lore level in council declaration. Is this one?

"Takes one point of damage for each blue helmet rolled on an attack."

This is to mean for blue helmets rolled AGAINST it in attack, right? It could be read to mean he hurts himself when he attacks...

I'm also to assume the "on an attack" also includes on battlebacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the regeneration mechanic. Very troll-like.

That 6d is massive damage.
Seems extremely powerful compared to some of the other creatures, but I'll have to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhuntin1 wrote:

I mentioned to the game guide how disappointed I was with the way it was being packaged since I hated the idea of paying for a paper map I'll never use. I want the cardboard hex piece and deployment cards. He basically agreed but then quickly added that this was how it was being sold, which I would call "toeing the company line." :p

I hope they do better when an official announcement is made next week. If not, I find it interesting they missed the chance of selling this stuff at GenCon. This was probably their biggest chance of selling this mappack...

Anyways, this looks like a pretty tough beast.
The regeneration ability looks quite nice. But 6 dice in damage sounds fairly evil.
Looking forward to trying this one, with a replacement miniature of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Ordered normally as what colour of unit? (I'm guessing blue)

Moves how far?

Good question. Move 1 and attack or move 2 and no attack. It is ordered as a blue unit since it has a blue flag.

Quote:
DoW once said that, while the first three creatures all cost 1 'lore level' each, there would one day be creatures that cost more than one lore level in council declaration. Is this one?

On the paper map, it shows up as only taking one space in the war council.

Quote:
"Takes one point of damage for each blue helmet rolled on an attack."

This is to mean for blue helmets rolled AGAINST it in attack, right? It could be read to mean he hurts himself when he attacks...

I'm also to assume the "on an attack" also includes on battlebacks?

Only when it is attacked.

I forgot to mention that there is a custom terrain piece on the new map that amounts to a stone bridge. I do not remember the rules exactly (I had enough trying to remember everything the troll does), but I think that regular units may ignore one flag and the troll may ignore an additional one.

Also, forgot to add that the troll gives support but can not be supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhuntin1 wrote:
I mentioned to the game guide how disappointed I was with the way it was being packaged since I hated the idea of paying for a paper map I'll never use. I want the cardboard hex piece and deployment cards. He basically agreed but then quickly added that this was how it was being sold, which I would call "toeing the company line."
)

Thats just SADshake

I had hoped for something that could restore some faith
in DoW handling of BL when Eric returns to address the issue.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roobarb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Old Dwarf wrote:
jhuntin1 wrote:
)

Thats just SADshake

I had hoped for something that could restore some faith
in DoW handling of BL when Eric returns to address the issue.

OD

atleast dick turpin wore a mask cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhuntin1 wrote:

Deploys on the field
Ordered normally (as a blue unit), or pay 1 lore to move out of section
Retreat: must ignore one flag, all others retreat 2 spaces and rampage
Weapon: I do not remember the name, but it is melee only
Could not see if bonus strikes, but I would imagine it does
Ignores critical hits

Starts game with 2 lore token "hit points". Takes one point of damage for each blue helmet rolled on an attack against it. If it takes damage when it has no hit points, it is defeated. If the troll rolls lore on its attack, it can replace hit points but can never have more than two.

i wonder...

why only pay 1 lore to move out of section?
is rampage actually trample?
why is the damage 6d when it is blue? maybe the weapon doubles the number of dice?
maybe no bonus strike to balance the number of dice?

i like the critical hit being ignored because of the troll regeneration. and i suppose the lair allows it to become double bold

im happy with the troll (not the price though), though the lore movement seems out of place. 6 dice i can deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:

i wonder...

It is actually trample. I could not remember the exact word but I knew what it did, and I did not have my copy of the game with me to remember what it was.

I'll try to double-check if it has bonus strike if I can get another look at it when I go back to GenCon tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
jhuntin1 wrote:

Deploys on the field
Ordered normally (as a blue unit), or pay 1 lore to move out of section
Retreat: must ignore one flag, all others retreat 2 spaces and rampage
Weapon: I do not remember the name, but it is melee only
Could not see if bonus strikes, but I would imagine it does
Ignores critical hits

i wonder...

why only pay 1 lore to move out of section?
why is the damage 6d when it is blue? maybe the weapon doubles the number of dice?

i like the critical hit being ignored because of the troll regeneration. and i suppose the lair allows it to become double bold

im happy with the troll (not the price though), though the lore movement seems out of place. 6 dice i can deal with.

Definitely seems odd that it costs 1 lore to move out of section..since with 6D makes it very powerful to attack. I definitely would think with 6D, that bonus strikes probably wouldn't hit (since with odds of 6D, you probably get at least 1 hit with that many dice).

If someone could ask why 1 lore vs the normal 3 lore for other creatures for out of section, that would be interesting to know the answer.

As for the weapon, I believe it is called a cleaver - sure looks like one.

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that they probably made it 6d so that you have more chances of getting lore when you roll dice, and probably no bonus for balance. well at least i hope so, or else this will be a really unbalanced creature.

also, from what i read, it doesnt get hit by bonus strikes? to simulate semi-critical hits? is this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone makes it down this far, I have made corrections to the original post after I was able to get a better look at it today (and did not have to try and remember everything at once). Important changes are that it takes 3 lore to move out of section and it does not count bonus strikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So are you saying that a roll of 3 blue helmets would take it from "as strong as it can be" to dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how the card reads. It doesn't follow the same critical hit rule that the other creatures do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool. so seeing as how it doesnt hit on bonus strikes, all the 6d does for it is give it lots of lore (which means it wont die EVAR) and lots of black flags, which basically says everything is afraid of it.

cool. i likee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lots of lore" may give it a chance to repair itself, but since it can't build up more than 2 hits, I think I'll wager that it dies a lot sooner than "not EVAR."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.