Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Barman
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'll be traveling to Portland, OR in the next couple of weeks and would like to check out a games store or two there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ideally I'd prefer if they were downtown, but if there's an exceptional one I'd drive out of town a bit for it. (ie. I've heard rumors of a great one - Rainy Day Games - in Aloha, OR west of Portland but it's a fair drive out of downtown. However, if it's great, I'd go.)

Anyway, any recommendations that people may have would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
-Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who lived in Beaverton (West side of Portland) I will HIGHLY recommend Rainy Day Games. Our gaming group used to meet there once a week on Monday's, and I didn't miss a one for about a year.

And really, it isn't that far from downtown, just head west, get on Hwy 26 and drive through the tunnel, 8 minutes later on 26 you will take the 185th street exit, drive down 185th for 6 minutes or so and take a quick left on TV highway, there you are!

Beaverton/Aloha really isn't that far from downtown, unless you are trying to do it at rush hour (the tunnel can get kind of ugly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Clifford
United States
Seaside
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Rainy Day games... and you should check out Amazing Stories in Vancouver, WA

http://amazingstories.biz/

And there is also Ancient Wonders in Tualatin, OR (not far from Portland)

http://www.ancientwonders.net/index2.ivnu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear the thrift stores in the area are really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are not any game stores downtown. Other than the ones already mentioned, there's also Bridgetown Hobbies on 33rd and Sandy. It's probably the closest to downtown by actual distance.

http://bthobbies.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian Games is downtown-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian games is as close as you'll get to a "downtown" store. It's almost under the Burnside bridge and probably just a few minutes of driving from downtown. They have a very good selection of new and used games. Lots of Euros and a few wargames along with miniatures, CCG's, and RPG stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
HazMatt wrote:
There are not any game stores downtown. Other than the ones already mentioned, there's also Bridgetown Hobbies on 33rd and Sandy. It's probably the closest to downtown by actual distance.

http://bthobbies.com/

I'll heartily second Bridgetown Hobbies. Guardian Games and Rainy Day Games are good stores, but Bridgetown (or Military Corner for us life long Portlanders) has the most knowledgeable staff by far. And they have a great selection, and they're a FLGS that's weathered at least 30+ years in the business.

I don't buy a whole lot from brick and morter stores these days, but Bridgetown almost always gets my business when I do.

And it's easily accessible from downtown by bus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I hear the thrift stores in the area are really good.

No, Portland thrift stores are awful. We all go to Vancouver, WA for all our thrifting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For boardgames in general, I would strongly recommend Rainy Day Games. It has the best selection of Eurogames, family games, and "Ameritrash" that I've seen locally. Its only weakness is that its selection of wargames is minimal.

If you're interested in minis or RPGs, you might want to check out Bridgetown Hobbies. They carry a better selection of RPGs than the other stores I've visited, have (I think - I don't pay a lot of attention to minis) a marginally better selection of the more popular minis games (e.g., Games Workshop), and carry minis and rules for a number of less popular games. They're also the only store to carry anything resembling a decent selection of wargames.

Guardian Games is not bad, but not nearly as good as the other two stores. Its main advantages are that it's almost downtown, and that it's the only one of the three to carry much in the way of used games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neil!

Welcome to PDX! If you want to come play with some Portland Geeks while you're in town many of us play at Guardian Games every other Sunday (the next one is Aug. 24th) and every Thursday at the Lucky Lab. (Both are close to downtown.) You can find more info (like times and exact locations) at this meetup link for Portland gamers:

http://boardgames.meetup.com/306/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:
No, Portland thrift stores are awful. We all go to Vancouver, WA for all our thrifting...

Yeah, come to my house for thrifting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Guardian games is as close as you'll get to a "downtown" store. It's almost under the Burnside bridge and probably just a few minutes of driving from downtown. They have a very good selection of new and used games. Lots of Euros and a few wargames along with miniatures, CCG's, and RPG stuff.

+1 - and it's where the Portland Board Gamers group meets every other sunday for gaming. Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to be here for a couple of weeks drop in on some of the local game nights and show us some of those sneaky Canadian moves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls