BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Any gamers/game stores in London, Ontario??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Harris
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just moved to London, Ontario and can't seem to find any boardgame stores!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be moving into town for school at the end of this week; be interested to see responses here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Harris
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't been, but the only one I've seen posted in a Geeklist is:

L.A. Mood
350 Richmond Street
London, Ontario.
N6A 3C3

Still hoping there's more in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L.A. Mood is one of the better board game stores in London, but it is not the only one. You will find some more listed here:

Gaming stores in London Ontario
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164067
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Imperial Hobbies on Dundas St. across from Galleria is pretty good. They've got a nice sized gaming area as well. I've been meaning to get in there on a Saturday afternoon and show Age of Steam to some guys.

I don't know of many game groups in town because we've got a small private group of people we play with regularly. If you can't get a group together, and you like train games, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J&J Cards & Collectibles in Waterloo has a massive selection of board games, and the best prices you'll find in any Canadian store.

It's not London, but it's not that far either, at least not for the occasional trip. :-)

(A long trip to the game store just makes it that much more acceptable to the wife that many games were purchased!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felkor wrote:
J&J Cards & Collectibles in Waterloo has a massive selection of board games, and the best prices you'll find in any Canadian store.
They have also just got their website up and running:
http://www.jjcards.com
Great prices, quick shipping, and great service, whether purchasing in-store or online! Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Great prices, quick shipping, and great service, whether purchasing in-store or online! Highly recommended!
I agree about the in-stock prices, however I special ordered a RPG supplement and they charged me $30.00 even though the list price on SJG was $9.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent the first 20 years of my life in London, and I don't recall any great game stores being in town.

I would suggest that your best bet is to order online from either...

www.fungamescafe.com

...in Mississauga, or...

www.germangames.com...

...in Kitchener. Both are small, family-run companies based out of their homes, and both offer personal pick-up if you don't want to pay for shipping. Based on my own experiences, you'll get exceptional service, unbeatable prices, and super-fast shipping from both companies.

Cheers!

Josh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rozon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Old topic I know but always worth an update...

L.A. Mood (Richmond just north of York) is probably the best place for selection but (as with all stores in London) the prices aren't competitive to what you'll find online. They do occasionally have 20-25% off sales which lower the prices to a point where it's a worthwhile purchase when you consider shipping or traveling costs.

The Toy Shoppe (Wonderland & Fanshawe Park) up in the North end also has a small selection and you can occasionally catch deals there as well.

I haven't personally been in Imperial Hobbies (Dundas across from the library) in a while but I do recall there being a decent selection with prices comparable to the other stores in town.

Hands down, if you want a place to go and "touch and see" the games you're interested in, J&J in Waterloo (Weber St near University I believe) is mighty impressive. The selection is second-to-none and the prices are extremely competitive (even better than most prices you'll find at Canadian online retailers without factoring in shipping).

As for finding gamers, that's a puzzle I haven't managed to solve yet myself. If you're young and single (i.e. lots of free time) you might find players at groups held within the various stores in town. L.A. Mood and Imperial Hobbies likely organize some form of group or can put you in contact with someone that does.

If you're like me and married with kid(s) (i.e. no free time) then I wish you luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan St. Martin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if anyone's still reading this thread, but there's a group that gets together the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month at LA Moods. http://forestcitygamers.blogspot.com/ for more info.

I went last weekend and there was a pretty good turnout, about 10 people give or take. From what I gather this fluctuates but they're always looking for new people to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say that Imperial certainly has the best selection, a bit better than LA Mood. They are both pretty similar in pricing.

Mind you, I was unable to get DOMINION at either store, which I found just beyond bizarre. To be honest, I haven't seen Dominion at either store since November. Seems to be one you'd want to stock

I love to get things downtown London (I got RFtG at LA Mood, and Ticket To Ride at Imperial in the past few months) but I do end up ordering at least half of the stuff from JJ Cards. Seriously, even though I've never been to their Store in Waterloo, they've treated me really well online, and have never missed a shipment, and never failed to answer their phone if I had a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old topic, thought I'd throw in the fact the at the Hamilton Road Library (Crouch branch) their is a group called HRGG meeting pretty much every saturday from about 10am till 5pm.

They have a yahoogroup at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/hrgg/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horsepool
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually shop at LA Mood for my baordgames, they have don't have a slot of static stock, but they always have a flow of new and interesting things. Imperial Hobbies means you have to deal with Dave and that's best avoided.

As for gamers, I have a group that meets weekly on Saturdays from 3pm till midnight. Sometimes another day during the week too depending on everyones schedule. Give me a shout if you're interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Absolutely! J&J is an amazing store. I love just perusing the games. Since I'm RPGer as well, I love perusing their roleplaying stuff too.

If you have the time, it would certainly be worth the drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

It's not London, but it's not that far either, at least not for the occasional trip. :-)

(A long trip to the game store just makes it that much more acceptable to the wife that many games were purchased!)
J&J's also delivers! So if you want you can order online and they will ship it to you. As well if you are interested in something you don't see on their online store call them up and ask they are very helpful.www.jjcards.com

www.germangames.com is also a great source for online ordering of games, plus they have some of the harder to find in North America games in stock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
Felkor wrote:

J&J's also delivers! So if you want you can order online and they will ship it to you. As well if you are interested in something you don't see on their online store call them up and ask they are very helpful.www.jjcards.com

www.germangames.com is also a great source for online ordering of games, plus they have some of the harder to find in North America games in stock!
blush I can't believe I didn't mention that. I guess since I live about 5 minutes away from J&J, shipping isn't on my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey. Just moved to London for school and am DYING for some board gaming. I'll try showing up at L.A. Mood, but message me if you want to game otherwise. I brought a sizable part of my collection with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out the Hamilton Road Library (Crouch I think is the name of the branch) Saturdays from about 11:00 - 5:00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Isenor
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi;

I too just moved to London for school and also brought some of my boardgame collection with me. Adam/Kwyjibo if you are still interested in starting a gaming group my husband and I are looking for like minded individuals.

message me back if you want to get together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you live in London, LA Mood is the best game shop in town (lots of games and very friendly service). They now have 2 walls loaded with boardgames, and if they don’t have it, they can order it in at what I’ve found to be very competitive prices.

For example, I ordered C&C: Ancients (a rather hefty game) and paid exactly the same as I would have paid if I had ordered it online! I believe it actually worked out to be a bit cheaper because I didn’t get dinged with that annoying customs charge upon delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will64 wrote:
If you live in London, LA Mood is the best game shop in town (lots of games and very friendly service). They now have 2 walls loaded with boardgames, and if they don’t have it, they can order it in at what I’ve found to be very competitive prices.

For example, I ordered C&C: Ancients (a rather hefty game) and paid exactly the same as I would have paid if I had ordered it online! I believe it actually worked out to be a bit cheaper because I didn’t get dinged with that annoying customs charge upon delivery.
Wow, I've been in London for about 3 years now and never knew LA mood existed. Been to Imperial Hobbies several times, moreso to browse than shop. Pretty decent selection, but a wee bit pricey (compared to online options).

As far as online options, JJ cards is new to me too, seems comparable price-wise to german board game company, same flat-rate shipping too.

We have a small and sporadic group of friends that play board games, seems to be less and less frequent all the time.....might have to try to check out a gaming group some time; I love board games but it sucks buying a new game and then never getting any mileage out of it. DOminion: Intrigue is next on my list :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burk
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LA mood is great, i totally base it on the fact that they are very friendly , willing to help and usually have a decent selection in stock.

not gonna skip around the topic but they are expensive, but all london game shops are expensive. i believe out of the 3 or 4 of them here LA mood still has good prices.

or you can wait for their sales, and when you buy at regular price you get a game card, buy 10 games and get the average back in store credit! im on my second card. but i also buy lots when it there are sales.

but also its about supporting local stores..and local folks. i do my fair share of shopping at walmart etc, but for games i try to be as local as i can except for stuff they cant get their hands on for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sangchol Shin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, i didn't know there were many board gamers in London. I thought i was the only one^^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think we're everywhere, lol