Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Robin on Heroscapers went out of his way to reveal the behind-the-scenes at GenCon 2008
blue robin wrote:
Here is basically what happen each day of the con as far as the Promo went.

Thursday - 9 a.m. they opened up early for VIG to shop an hour early. People buying from WotC were handed heroscape promos while standing in this very small line. They also gave you a promo after making a purchase. Any exhibitor or VIG could easily get 2-4 promos each during this hour. Doors open at 10 for General population and the remaining promos were gone in 5 minutes.

Friday - around 50 exhibitors are already in line in front of WotC booth at the time doors open at 10. Each of those exhibitors get one. The 1st dozen or so are able to circle around a booth and get at least another one before the line gets too big in the 1st 60 secs. All 250 are gone in 5 minutes yet again. There are people trying to buy exclusives off people once they get them at the booth. The most typical response is that everyone says they are getting them because they heard through the grape line that they go for $70-90 on eBay. It looks like those early presells established the market price in alot of peoples minds. This was like the PS3 launch where everyone thought they were going to make an instant $2000.

Saturday - Exhibitors line up early again, however, WotC tells them that they are going to give the Regular Joes outside first crack. The Exhibitors disperse, but only about 10-15 feet away from the booth. Just a few second run away from WotC to get them. Doors open and literally 100's of people run through the artist gallary area. You here alot of yelling from the artists. Exhibitors quickly snap up about 1/3 of the promos again. The line stretched almost to the door. Within 5 minutes promos are out again. HOWEVER, sticking around the booth, WotC is talking about opening up another box. They do so. Now since the line is cut down by about 80% because people leave it. Now only the hard corps are around and they continously circle snapping up at least 6-9 promos each. WotC officials are heard saying, 'What are we going to do about people getting extras, we are not punching badges'.

Sunday - Exihibitors don't get any. Neither do the general pop because they gave out Sunday's supply on Saturday. The funny thing is WotC actually had a working solution in place for their MtG Dragon Box set. They line people up OUTSIDE the exhibit hall and marched them in single file for that exclusive. Probably, the exhibitors in the artist gallery complained loudly the day before. Exhibitors were out of luck that day. If they had done that with Heroscape, the general population could have easily gotten one. But there was none to be given out that day.
I heard from several WotC officals the 1000 total number and the 250 for each day. They just gave out Sundays supply on Saturday.

I was lucky enough to be helping out this year at a booth nearby, so I was able to witness this. Yes, I did get a couple of promos, but what some of these people were doing was crazy and excessive. Some of what I described above is what I heard others talking about, but it seems to be supported by what others on here are saying. I think this promo will definately eclipse the exclusivity of Sir Hawthorne over time. The good news, if there is any, since everyone was looking for a quick payout, the price of these promos will be lower right now over the next few weeks then previous ones are as people dump them to get whatever price they can. After that though, I think the supply will dry up and the price will shoot up.

and other HSers revealed their impressions of WotC's handling of events and promos:

grungebob wrote:
Let me just be blunt here!!

Promos are for promoting Heroscape. Gimme's promote ebay scalpage.

I want the promo's to be for participation only!! This increases participation tremendously!! Participation sells tickets, which make Gencon happy and makes the event organizers happy! It makes them want to do more events!! Which in turn make WOTC happy and solidifies the fanbase and gives a drive to the need for production to support the inevitable increase in demand.

Period/end of story

Quote:
The problem is that, based on reports, more of these went (in multiplicity) in to the hands of dealers/vendors/exhibitors than to gamers. These people got them because they know the price they will fetch on eBay.

WotC totally screwed up on this. Period.

Quote:
Marketing plan my ***. My impression is that those at the WotC booth don't care 2 cents about HS. They had no interest in promoting anything other than D&D 4 Ed. and M:tG. They were saddled with the Skahen give away and they got rid of them as fast as they could.

I am not saying that no one at WotC cares about HS, but it is not their 'premier product' and for many, that means it doesn't matter.

Revdyer wrote:
My impression was that they were trying to get done with an objectionable chore as quickly as possible. (WotC reps were throwing the figures out to the gathered audience)

if you had seen (or received) the personal disregard, disrespect, and general dismissal that was handed out to HeroScape volunteers and their efforts by the WotC people at GenCon (not representative of the whole subdivision, I hope and trust), you would have a better understanding of some of the feelings being expressed here. The subdivision may well be supporting HeroScape at the appropriate level given their business model; the personnel at GenCon were not. Of course, that is just my personal observation; yours might have been different.

Wind Lane wrote:
The demo for Heroscape was only run on one day. On other days the third of their demo tables either wasn't in use, or was used by a different game.

The WotC reps completely shunted Heroscape off to the side in every way. They committed to certain things and got them to happen, but they passed the buck on the actual work as much as they possibly could.

1. All tournaments were run by HSers volunteers.
2. The exclusive was designed by play testers who are on this site.
3. The WotC booth only had the Marvel master set and SotM for sale.
4. A WotC rep had to buy HS products from a vendor in the dealer hall to fill the remaining holes in the prize table.
5. No WotC employee (other than those volunteers who happened to also work for the company) was directly involved in any scape event.
6. Several of the tourney prizes were provided by volunteers (such as Onacara's trophies and Josh'n'Papa's dice).

WotC provided a place for the tournaments, produced the exclusive, and provided much of the prizes. Other than that they pretty much ignored the line for the entirety of GenCon.

Looks like yet another clusterfuck with a Heroscape promo. shake

WotC not only didn't learn from Hasbro's mistakes - they made up new ones!
Not punching badges borders on intentional incompetence, since this had become standard procedure for promotional items previously.
WotC can say everything they want about supporting the HS line - but their actions at Gencon 2008 have spoken louder than a thousand honeyed words their reps placate the fanatics with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... sounds like a mess and a total slap in the face to the fans. I only read the Heroscapers forums occasionally and hadn't really followed all the details. It certainly doesn't surprise me, though. Even before this, Wizards' commitment to the game seemed pretty thin. This just confirms it. I'm guessing Wave 9 will be the last of Heroscape.

As for Skahen, I grabbed the first one I saw for $50 B-I-N on eBay. That ends up being quite consistent with the auctions at the moment. I'd guess her auction price will dip to ~$40 over the next couple weeks as all the exhibitors desperately unload them, but I didn't feel like saving $10 was worth the hassle of watching a bunch of auctions. I hoped to find someone that was going to GenCon to get one for me, but it sounds like hardly anyone got one besides the exhibitors anyway.

edit: Geez... I can't believe they didn't even punch badges on a gimme. That's really insulting.

edit2: After reading the thread at Heroscapers, I see that they did at least still reserve some promos for events. The quotes kind of gave the impression that it was all giveaways. That's not quite so bad, I guess. If you're really a fan of the game, then you'll play in the events, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even bother with Heroscape anymore. I got Heroclix figures from bargin bins for 10 cents to 50 cents (since I could care less about the card for the figure or what color ring it had) and print off the cards from the 1200 hero variations on Heroscaper.com and play that.

I find it is much more fun with the super powers and not nearly as complicated as Heroclix (I hate have to pick up and turn the bases...)

Anyways, we all anticipated it was dying. My only question, is why did WOTC even bother to take it off Hasbro's hands and jack with it at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Anyways, we all anticipated it was dying. My only question, is why did WOTC even bother to take it off Hasbro's hands and jack with it at all?

Presumably because the pre-release work for Wave 8 was already done - figure abilities, sculpts, etc. Some higher-up figured that since they were that far already, then they might as well see what WotC could do with the property. In itself that doesn't seem like a bad idea, I just don't see that WotC has done jack to actually promote the game. They lost huge distribution outlets in TRU and Target, there are still tons of sought-after figs and sets that are unavailable, and I don't see that they've really pushed for events or publicity at FLGS's. It's too bad, because it really is a pretty damn good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it might not look like it has high priority at WotC, I find it way too early to speculate on the demise of the game.
The transfer between Hasbro and WotC, plus the changed retail channels, is bound to make delays. I don't think any other company could have pulled it off in time for GenCon either.
The next window is for christmas, let's wait and see if they miss that one, before speculating too much.
Besides all this negative buzz is only hurting the game. Why would anyone start buying the game if the fans are saying it is dying?

I'm still optimistic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Purcell
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info reaper,
I had the misfortune of being there 7 minutes after opening on Friday - so I missed everything. Very disappointing. I think it's safe to say from this, and the complete lack of support/news/events at GenCon, that this game is now in the winding down phase. Hope they can at least release those Marvel units announced a year ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I waited outside the doors on Thurs. Fri. and Sun. I got one two of three days. I can't believe they weren't punching badges or something.

Also, when everyone was running up to their booth the first day, they asked us what we wanted and the horde screamed Heroscape, then they put us in some line for some crappy dragon thing. As soon as we figured it out, there was no one in the line anymore and it became a mob at the counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered why the line was so long on Saturday when I knew exactly where to go and was reasonably close to the door on the near side. I didn't know they were handing them out like that later, though, as I made up my mind from that time on to avoid the WotC booth. If they didn't make Star Wars minis I would be done with them for good after this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing to me that people will pay $50 to $100 for this figure. I had mine a week before GenCon. This promo is one of the easiest repaints of one of the most readily available figures out there.

Mine cost me $10 bucks and about 15 minutes of painting. I encourage anyone who wants this figure to bite the bullet and try a repaint. This one is very easy. Most gamers out there might surprise themselves with how easy they can make this. Hell, I only spent 15 minutes on mine and I detailed the face, drybrushed the hair and finished extra details on the gun and jacket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could convey in no uncertain terms what a huge, dampening effect the con exclusives had on my enthusiasm for purchasing and collecting this game.

I went through the "chase rare" stuff for years with CCGs and CMGs. Heroscape was such a welcome change because I didn't have to buy random or chase down super-rare figures.

Once I realized I couldn't have them all, it was much more difficult to muster up the enthusiasm to buy more than a pack or two from each wave, if that.

And this demonstrates the problem--the figures end up in the hands of people who have no other motive than to gouge people for them. Screw that.

DEAR WOTC--STOP THE MADNESS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I wish I could convey in no uncertain terms what a huge, dampening effect the con exclusives had on my enthusiasm for purchasing and collecting this game.

I went through the "chase rare" stuff for years with CCGs and CMGs. Heroscape was such a welcome change because I didn't have to buy random or chase down super-rare figures.

You can always go the repaint route, as Jason suggested. I do think that Hasbro/WotC has been rather considerate in the way they've always made the promos simple repaints. It seems a reasonable middle ground.

Also, relatively speaking, if you really want to "collect them all" then the money you'd pay for the promos isn't that big a deal. You could buy all the exclusives minus Hawthorne for well under $200. That's a chunk of money, sure, but it's way less than you're already going to be spending on the rest of the system, if you're determined to have everything. Hawthorne, on the other hand, is really fricking expensive. You'd need some real luck and patience to get him for a palatable price. But it is possible - I've found one and I only started with HS about six months ago.

So I do sympathize with what you're saying, but I think Hasbro/WotC have made reasonable efforts to keep the game non-collectible while still getting their marketing buzz from the promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dignan wrote:
It's amazing to me that people will pay $50 to $100 for this figure. I had mine a week before GenCon. This promo is one of the easiest repaints of one of the most readily available figures out there.

Mine cost me $10 bucks and about 15 minutes of painting. I encourage anyone who wants this figure to bite the bullet and try a repaint. This one is very easy. Most gamers out there might surprise themselves with how easy they can make this. Hell, I only spent 15 minutes on mine and I detailed the face, drybrushed the hair and finished extra details on the gun and jacket.

I totally agree with you. I have jumped through hoops in previous years to obtain the GenCon exclusives, but it is getting harder to justify. If my GenCon "contact" is unable to send me a Skahen, I will likely do a repaint. I have painted several custom figures and it is not hard too a good job. The only problem is that I have not seen a Nakita pack in store in at least six months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

Well, for one thing, WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro - it was just moved over from Milton Bradley, so I doubt there was much choice in the matter. Still, the WotC rep over at Heroscapers has been actively involved and forthcoming with news - much more so than I'd expect if they're just nursing along a dying line. Also, wave 8 has been selling quite well. I don't think they'll close the books on this just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gencon FUBAR sounds seriously annoying; I'd arranged for someone to pick up a copy of Skahen for me, but I wonder whether he managed it. It sounds like there will be a LOT of disappointed HS fans as a result of teh mishandling of a simple give-away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
The only problem is that I have not seen a Nakita pack in store in at least six months.

Just FYI, Hasbrotoyshop.com has them in stock right now. It will cost you $12 bucks, but it's not unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a fucking clusterfuck. Not punching badges at all? Really? And giving away Sunday's stock on Saturday? Last year I didn't even get my promo fig until Sunday - if I'd done that this year, I'd have been SOL...

Thankfully, I didn't even go and didn't have to witness this. (though, had I known they were making them available during the VIG/vendor time, I'd have asked one of my friends to pick one up for me).

Ironically, one of the reasons I got into HS was to avoid just this sort of mayhem and nonsense and not have to "chase" components of the game. Nice to see WOTC pulling a... well, very typical WOTC treatment on the game and players now. They are so going to tank this property in handling it like they have since they took it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Another FYI, there are more than 1000 of these pieces. In addition to the 1000 in the exhibit hall, each person who played in any Heroscape event received a promo figure.

I got two this way. I was NOT able to get my free one in the exhibit hall due to everything that you already read about. Now I wish I had hung around a little longer on Saturday though...

BTW, my two agent skahen's are up for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can remember when my son and I got Hawthorne at Gencon a few years ago. WotC had a small table with one guy handing them out and "punching" your badge, thus a limit of one each for the convention.

The following year they had the "monk" and my son was able to get one by playing in an event. I tried to get one, but was told they were for event players only, which was cool and I had no problem with this.

Now this year they gave them mostly to "re-seller" by the sounds of it, without any care to the general attenders who just wanted one to have for their game. That's really a shame for the true fans of the game as opposed to someone just trying to make a quick buck.

Heck, I even saw one guy selling this years promo (x4 of them) on Gencon before he even before he gotten them. He stated in his auction that he would have no problem getting them, as he had previous years.

This is why (at least one reason) I'm so tired of giving my money to WotC and why it's rare that I buy their products now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Racano
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do a Google Search on my Heroscaper's name and bamm here I am mentioned in this thread :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.