Popular Tags: diy [+] zombie [+] pandemic [+] [View All]
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
All the buzz about Pandemic convinced me to order a copy of this co-op gem. I strongly recommend anyone who hasn’t done yet to surf the reviews – it’s really that good!

Nevertheless, some minor quibbles remained: Too small gameboard, or missing flavour due to little wooden cubes (AT’s beware!) & no-name-deseases. So, to talk my miniatures group into playing it, I decided to re-theme the whole thing and make the board bigger.

Deseases changed into 4 different zombie plagues (inspired by Twilight Creation’s mini lines bag o’zombies/bag o’babes/medevil skeletons/zombie dogs), cures into secret weapons, medic to soldier etc. Here’s an overview shot:

The result was a big success, getting all AT fanboys to a co-operative game. Only problem is: With all my effort, I literally copied my own game, so I’m tempted to trade my original copy – which would turn my customizing into piracy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this guy become the Medic role then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
Does this guy become the Medic role then?

well, he has cool

the player pawns are converted from the MidEvil guys, which are heavily inspired by Ash:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so awesome. A much better theme than the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

Really?

Don't get me wrong, this is an impressive re-theme. But, do you really think it's better than the original? I mean, which did we need more:

(a) A game about fighting viral outbreaks all over the world
(b) Another zombie game

?

I think the theme of the original game is one of its strongest components. It's so unlike anything else that's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps by "better theme" Jason simply meant more solid theme throughout, with the use of zombie minis and naming the plagues. Certainly zombie figs have more theme than colored wood cubes, which is not to say the overall Zombie theme is better or not, just that this version have more lending itself to said theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
You should upload some of the files you used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
I think the theme of the original game is one of its strongest components. It's so unlike anything else that's available.

I agree. I definitely didn't re-theme Pandemic due to a weak theme, but to get interest from players that generally tend to avoid co-op games.

Whether the world needs another zombie theme or not - I LOVE zombies and just happened to have enough of the minis available cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neoshmengi wrote:

Would love to, but there is still the copyright issue - I mean, recreating the whole board?

Besides, it's all in German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
neoshmengi wrote:

Would love to, but there is still the copyright issue - I mean, recreating the whole board?

What a great theme. You should seriously talk to Zev about this maybe
he'll do a Zombie addition. I'll probably see him at a con in Nov and I'll ask him if he's seen it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sislar wrote:
woodoo03 wrote:
neoshmengi wrote:

What a great theme. You should seriously talk to Zev about this maybe
he'll do a Zombie addition. I'll probably see him at a con in Nov and I'll ask him if he's seen it.

I wish someone would start a small company that just sold game pimping/retheming kits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Really?

Don't get me wrong, this is an impressive re-theme. But, do you really think it's better than the original? I mean, which did we need more:

(b) Another zombie game

?

I voiced an opinion. Everybody's got one, mine isn't any better than yours.

That said, I would rather play this game where we are trying to stop the spread of zombie outbreaks instead of fighting viruses. To me, the original game is kinda ugly and while I did enjoy playing it the one time I had a chance, I'd be jumping up and down to get my hands on a copy of Zombie Squad.

I haven't played many of the other Zombie games, but the ones I have played had mediocre gameplay, which isn't the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Really? :what:

(b) Another zombie game

?

I can't speak for Jason, but in my opinion a good theme is one I can either joke about or pseudo-roleplay. The zombie theme is great because I can do both.

As an example, let's say Jason and I are playing a game of Zombie Squad. We each get into it, spouting cheesy one-liners whenever appropriate. We laugh it up. A good time is had, not just because of the fun of the gameplay, but because we enjoyed the theme to the fullest extent.

Next, we play normal Pandemic. We still have fun, but we don't exhibit as much socially; we're intent on the gameplay only. The theme doesn't really effect how we treat the game.

Fighting diseases is a unique theme, but it doesn't lend itself to additional social fun the way zombies do. Sure, we could joke around about the normal theme too, but rampant disease just isn't as funny as zombies. By adding zombies, we get additional fun on top of the purely intellectual fun of the gameplay.

This is why I think zombies would make this a better game, why I generally prefer more Ameritrashy themes, and why I'm gonna echo the request for woodoo03 to post the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
neoshmengi wrote:

If you post the files, or send them to me, I'd be happy to translate/rework everything into English and reshare the files. (I'm making a guess that I'd be able to do it with babelfish and a general knowledge of game play and zombie genre.)

tankexmortis wrote:
Fighting diseases is a unique theme, but it doesn't lend itself to additional social fun the way zombies do. Sure, we could joke around about the normal theme too, but rampant disease just isn't as funny as zombies. By adding zombies, we get additional fun on top of the purely intellectual fun of the gameplay.

Well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I wish someone would start a small company that just sold game pimping/retheming kits.

So do I. I probably wouldn't invest in it myself though.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Board, I am pleased to announce our annual earnings this year come to $78.32 which represents a 300% increase over the previous two years combined!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankexmortis wrote:
and why I'm gonna echo the request for woodoo03 to post the files.

well, according to my own "Ultimate Copyright Test" (www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/201848) I get only lousy 3 points for posting the board...

I guess I'll PM the publisher / BGG user Zman for admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have different colored zombies? Or did you wind up painting them yourself?

All of the zombie figures I have from Twilight Creations are the same light grey color (hint: get your hands on ZombieTown, for yet another zombie figure pose!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
You have different colored zombies? Or did you wind up painting them yourself?

I spraypainted them for better differentiation (was done in 10 mins). Thus, I could have used one Bag O' Zombies only.

But for the more thematic feeling, I used 24 zombies from Zombies!!!, 24 zombie ladies from Bag O'Babes, 24 zombie dogs from Zombies4: The End and 24 skeletons from MidEvil.

Thnx for the hint, always looking for zombie minis in new poses cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic's theme is nice.

The zombie re-theme is AWESOME.

As to whether we need another zombie-themed game, well, IMO Pandemic is a better game than any of the recent zombie-themed games, so the answer is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One was not enough so you are getting
msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added zombies to Pandemic simply as a kind of 5th 'super-disease'. I used zombie babes figures, and tacked on a few rules to make them start slower but multiply faster than a regular disease. It's pretty fun, and adds a bit of zombie spice to what is already a very, very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo, beat me 2 it. I was spray painting my minis this weekend. Good job great minds think alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:
Boo, beat me 2 it. I was spray painting my minis this weekend. Good job great minds think alike.

that's what defines a geek, I guess cool

btw. I'm happy to announce that Zev the publisher man is cool about posting some files. I must say I'm really impressed - he's really caring about his customers and obviously wants them to have the best experience possible. big thumbs up from me!

so I'll translate the files back to English this weekend and post them asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankexmortis wrote:

Key words here are "for you".

If I'd have introduced this game to my wife "See honey, we travel around the world fighting zombies!" it would never have hit the table even once. Instead, with the medical theme, we're up near 40 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
I voiced an opinion. Everybody's got one, mine isn't any better than yours.

I thought that was an implicitly understood framework for these forum discussions. Your statement surprised me, so I asked the question. No offense was meant--sorry if any was taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.