Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
Announcing The 2008 Golden Geek Awards!

From gallery of Aldie

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users.

The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

- Best Gamers' Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Children's Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient),voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 15 games in each of the categories. The 15 games with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees - feel free to write-in a game by entering its gameid number directly. Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.

The nomination page is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php

The final voting will be resolved using a condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 15, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run for one month (9/22), and the final voting for one more month (10/31). The winners will be announced at BoardGameGeek.CON 2008 in November.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php

Microbadges will be awarded to participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bass fanMicrobadge: Bass fanMicrobadge: Bass playerMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: Bluegrass fan
I don't see Tiki Topple on the list. Will it be there next year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Super Meat Boy fanMicrobadge: Autechre fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2: European TheaterMicrobadge: Counter ClipperMicrobadge: ASL fan
Wow, what a phenomenal year for games, both in Euro-Style games and Wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
Daddys_Home wrote:
I don't see Tiki Topple on the list. Will it be there next year?
Should be there now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
Microbadge: Computer Science TeacherMicrobadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - SeelahMicrobadge: Delve: The Dice Game fanMicrobadge: Orange County Board Gamers member
Mutant Chronicles CMG is in there but still isn't out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Elton
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Green Bay Packers fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: William & Mary University
Last year, you changed the one time 20 gg fee to anyone having an avatar. Will there be any chance of this happening again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Super Meat Boy fanMicrobadge: Autechre fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2: European TheaterMicrobadge: Counter ClipperMicrobadge: ASL fan
I have to say that I really like the format and interface for these awards.

I would love to have the ability to make these genre-specific top ten lists on the user profile page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Please bury me with my copy of this book
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
Microbadge: Click to see my homepageMicrobadge: I play many different RPGsMicrobadge: Play to find out what happensMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffee
My first chance to participate in the GGA -- cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Unitarian UniversalistMicrobadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: On Mars fan
Hmm, you didn't bold and italicize Agricola so it's going to be too hard to find now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
And remember, just because you think a multiplayer game plays best with two does not make it a "2-player Game."

And remember, there's a difference between "family game" and "children's game." For example, Aquaretto may be a good family game, but that does not mean it's a "children's game."

And remember, just because a game is card-driven, does not make it a card game. 1960: The Making of the President is not a card game.

cool
It is, if we say it is. That's what's great about these awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
jschlickbernd wrote:
Hmm, you didn't bold and italicize Agricola so it's going to be too hard to find now
Good thing it starts with an 'A'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have played a total of two of the games on the list.

The awards are pretty pointless to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: RPG EditorMicrobadge: Heroscapers.com fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Old School Renaissance fanMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek Veteran
I've played 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Microbadge: I was a patron before patrons were acknowledgedMicrobadge: CURMUDGEON!Microbadge: LudditeMicrobadge: Non smokerMicrobadge: Geocaching fan
djflippy wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
And remember, just because you think a multiplayer game plays best with two does not make it a "2-player Game." :p
I see why that happens so much. You click on a game that you like and then click on the individual categories. It's so simple to say, "Oh, yeah, I've already nominated Hanging Gardens for Gamer Game, it's also a good Family Game and a good Card Game and a good 2-player Game."

It would be cumbersome, but I think that if you had to first choose a category and then a game, it would put the brakes on the tendency to nominate multi-player games for the 2-player category.

But as it stands now, it's open season for Pandemic and Hanging Gardens to be "2-player games."

And I love the filters. On note, though. I clicked "Owned" and a game I've owned for years showed up (Death in the Ring). It's not gonna get votes, but there's no way it's got a publication date of 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
Microbadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial FundMicrobadge: Fan of Games Dripping with ThemeMicrobadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fan
What's wrong with Hanging Gardens being considered a two player game? If a game plays best with two (and I think Hanging Gardens does), why can't we nominate it for that category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
djflippy wrote:
Except if you want to be taken seriously as an award, it has to make sense.
Taken seriously by whom? We're voting. We're the audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Tackleberry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
TomVasel wrote:
What's wrong with Hanging Gardens being considered a two player game? If a game plays best with two (and I think Hanging Gardens does), why can't we nominate it for that category?
Because it's not a two-player game?

I mean, it's a multiplayer game that plays well with two, but a two-player game is a two-player game. See?
So when two people play Hanging Gardens, it is not a two-player game? Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
Just for clarification, there is no rule against nominating a game that is also playable with more than two for the two-player games category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Unitarian UniversalistMicrobadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: On Mars fan
dakarp wrote:
Just for clarification, there is no rule against nominating a game that is also playable with more than two for the two-player games category.
Good to hear. Why would anyone who was looking for a 2 player game care if it could also be played by more than 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: A trained monkey could do my jobMicrobadge: Fortress Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Can't Stop! fan

Best Gamers' Game : Agricola
- Best Family Game : Agricola
- Best Wargame : AGRICOLA IN FLAMES!
- Best 2-player Game: Now offering Travel Agricola!!!
- Best Party Game : ARICOLA! FARMING PARTY!!
- Best Children's Game: Agricola Jr.
- Best Card Game : Agricola
- Best Artwork/Presentation:
Tic-tac-toe, the Agricola edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: PeaceMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Make Love, not WarMicrobadge: PeaceMicrobadge: Anarchist
Ah I'm glad that Thebes is available to vote for again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Microbadge: Blackout: Hong Kong fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of GodsMicrobadge: Newton fanMicrobadge: Coimbra fanMicrobadge: Key Flow fan
Aldie and the admins have deliberately said, in effect, "the only rule is there are no rules!" when it comes to nominating games. However, I (and I emphasize the first person pronoun) feel that the reason it's useful to have a category for two-player games are that titles strictly made for two players are valuable designs, but rarely do well in awards because they can only play two. Therefore, I restrict my nominating and my finals voting to those games that are either strictly for two or which are usually played by only two. I also note the only other awards I know of that has a Best 2-player Game category (the IGAs) restrict those to strictly 2-player games.

Naturally, everyone is free to choose as they wish. However, if we wind up with, say, Agricola being selected as best Gamer's Game, best Family Game, and best 2-player game, I think we will have significantly reduced the usefulness and meaningfulness of these awards. But that's just me. Let the voting chips fall where they may and let everyone enjoy the process!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Drew, would you mind not stating your opinions as facts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Blackout: Hong Kong fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of GodsMicrobadge: Newton fanMicrobadge: Coimbra fanMicrobadge: Key Flow fan
Terrific job with the interface, guys! This makes the nomination process brilliantly simple. The whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes. What a pleasure!

Alas, I've found some mistakes. Even though it pains me to state it, my beloved Through the Ages is on the ballot and it's a 2006 design. If you're making it eligible because so many didn't get to play it until last year, that's fine with me--I'll keep my nomination then.

In addition, Caylus Magna Carta isn't listed and that came out last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
More possible errors: a new version of Condotierre came out in 2007, which is reasonably different from the earliers editions. In addition, Ticket to Ride: Switzerland was first published as a boardgame in 2007, even though the computer version came out earlier. I think both of these should be eligible for nomination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |