Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Bonifaci
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb

Could anybody suggest some good game store in Karlsruhe? I will be visiting in a few weeks and was thinking of keeping a souvenir. (I am not a German-speaker, by the way).

Thanks, best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about games specifically selling games, but any toyshop should stock some games.
Department stores like Karstadt or Galleria Kaufhof would usually have a nice selection, some of which would be on sale. I see from the Karstadt website that there is a branch in Kahlsruhe and you can even find a map that indicates its location:
http://www.karstadt.de/jsp/filialen/index_01158.jsp

Enjoy your shopping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Bonifaci
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds good enough, thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one nice shop with a bunch of good games (allthough of course not as cheap as the usual internet sellers)

Spielepyramide
Waldstr. 8
76133 Karlsruhe
http://spiele-pyrami.de/

it's in the centre of the city.

Cheers
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Not a game store, but I lived in Karlsruhe in the winter of 2000 and we used to go to a bar called "Fuchsbau" where they had stacks of board games for people to play. I have no idea if it's still there, and I'm afraid I can't help with the location other than to say "downtownish". Close to Marktplatz I believe (where the little pyramid is). If you look it up I'd love to hear about it - I wasn't enlighted about board games when I was there and mostly played Risk at the Fuchsbau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for the Spielepyramide. Competent staff, very good selection of games. Open gaming every tuesday evening (tabletop or trading cards on other days)

If you're into tabletop, there's also Terminal Entertainment at Zähringerstr.57.

And there's a big gaming club in Karlsruhe, Thoule. 1400 games, open gaming monday & thursday evening (19:30), and sunday afternoon/evening (starting 14:00)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchsbau doesn't exist anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try "Döring Spielwaren GmbH". Its one of the bigger stores there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A third recommendation for the Spielepyramide here. I also recommend you get a city center map, as it's somewhat hidden (i.e. the storefront is not visible directly from the street).

I also second Werner's recommendation of the Thoule game club. If you go there, tell them I said hi (well if there is anyone left there who remembers me ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Heinecke
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Spiele-Pyramide. It's near the Schloss (Castle) and the centre. They have a huge rack of all games, are competent and speak english. You can also playtest demo-copies there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Bonifaci
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you guys for all the answers! I was just reading the thread again before leaving (tomorrow). I'll make sure to check Spielepyramide or one of the others stores.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Renee
msg tools
WARNING!! Google can mis-map this store.

We hiked a hot hike out to Waldring 8, and were grumpy and dehydrated by the time we made it back to "Waldstr. 8" (Waldstrasse 8.) Fsck-ing Goog.

WARNING: When we arrived at the store, July 2010, the manager/employee indicated that we weren't the first to have this same problem.

The SpielePyramid game store (http://www.spiele-pyrami.de/) in Karlsruhe is a very cheerful place to visit, with an extremely large selection of board games and a helpful staff member on hand to greet us and apologize for the Goog's rotten "help."

WARNING: You must type "Waldstrasse 8", do not be misled, not rely upon the Google Maps, use my secret method and search for "Waldstrasse 8 Karlsruhe" instead of "Waldstr. 8 Karlsruhe." And wherever Google points you, corroborate it with the map on the store's website!

-- Wendy Renee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kaspar
United States
California
flag msg tools
An update in case anyone stumbles across this thread, like I did:
-SpielePyramid is still up and running. It didn't have what I was looking for, but selection was decent and staff were friendly & English-friendly.
-Döring Spielwaren closed permanently in April 2013 after 200 years of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chikinn wrote: