Peter Haslehurst
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago I painted the plastic figures in my copy of "War of the Ring". I use Games Workshop Chaos Black as undercoat, Miniature Paints acrylics for colouring, and finally I lightly sprayed them with Games Workshop Purity Seal satin varnish. Which I have regretted ever since, as the figures feel ever so slightly tacky to the touch, especially when the weather is warm, and they stick to each other in the box. I'm wondering:

a) has anyone else encountered a similar problem with Purity Seal or any other varnish?
b) any suggestions what I can do about it? Short of stripping the figures down to the plastic and starting again! :-(

Many thanks in advance,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
This problem was previously discussed within this thread...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/304821/page/1

...so you might find an useful tip or two there. One user had success with spraying over the tacky figures with Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's another thread that was pointed out but I'd prefer to answer you here, where you asked the questions.

a) Oh yes! I have been painting Games Workshop's LotR figures for years, using their acrylic paints. I never used the Purity Seal though, preferring the more matte finish of Testor's Dull Cote. I like to spray the finished miniature with a hardware store Matte Lacquer that is not all that matte but is tough. Then I put Testor's Dull Cote over that, either brushed on or with an airbrush (when I have the energy and inclination to dig it out). This combination protects the miniature and it looks wonderfully matte at the same time. A while back, I painted up some Memoir '44 components and thought that they did not warrant the "usual treatment". I used Purity Seal instead and ended up with the sticky mess that you describe. They felt tacky and stuck to each other in the box.

b) I managed to fix this, completely, by painting several coats of Testor's Dull Cote over them (not all in one sitting). I had to be patient, but it worked. That was several months ago and they are still not even a bit tacky (and look nice and matte as a bonus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until recently (due to the obsene cost) I have used GW's Purity Seal exclusively and had never had that problem... the only thing I can think of was that there was:

* Either too much sprayed on
OR
* The temperature was not right when they were sprayed and affected the way the sealer dried.

I wonder if you could wash them lightly with warm soapy water and then reseal them with a different matte varnish?

Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the problems with painting the minis, I think this idea is becoming (or should be) more and more tempting:

Genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My minis were extremely sticky after spraying them with primer. The problem seemed to lessen a bit if I took them out of the humidity to dry.

After painting them and sealing them with Krylon, the stickiness seemed to eventually soak through over time. The Dulcote, however, seems to hold it in the best; many of them are still sticky in some spots.

I have never had this problem with games workshop miniatures, even when they were left to dry out in humid summer days. I would bet anything that the stickiness is somehow caused by the cheaper soft plastic used for boardgames minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Haslehurst
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments everyone!

I am currently leaving my Isengard figures on the windowsill, hoping the sun might bake them dry. After that, I think Testor's Dullcote is the next option. I had a look and you can get an aerosol version from the US, which would be a lot easier than brushing it on!

PT - do you have a link for those amazing custom pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that the aerosol version would be a lot easier. The only time I have ever seen it was when I was in Australia. For some reason, I neglected to bring any back home with me. Now, you can't even find the bottles here. According to my hobby store, "they" no longer ship to South Africa. I purchased three bottles a year or two back which will last me for some time yet.

I really hope it works out for you. I cannot recommend Testor's (Testors?) enough. I trust that it will come through for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steph Deneuch
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have exactly the same problem :(
and I don't know how to fix it ... it's a pain in my a..
All this time spent to paint these minis for this tacky result :cry:

If someone has a good idea please advise me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.