Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Results posted, see below

Important!
for this math trade want lists will be submitted only by using the online wantlist generator/editor ... you may want to make sure you can login to that tool (no password required) if you haven't already.

Also Very Important!
You must read the Limits & Rules below before joining in on this math trade!

"Spread the Happiness Around" refers to the fact that for this math trade, we will be running TradeMax with a new metric to find a result set where more users have at least one trade (the overall number of trades will still be the max possible).

Related Geeklist (to add items into the math trade): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35280

Deadlines:
Submissions (including sweeteners): Friday, October 3rd, 11pm Eastern Time
Want lists due: Sunday, October 5th, 10:00pm Eastern Time

Results posted: Sunday, October 5th, about 11pm Eastern Time

Limits: (per person)
* Max of 4 non-game items (that includes geek gold, gift certificates, etc)
* Geekgold offerings must be at least 50 GG

Rules:
1. * Non-game items must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985), and you must within (at the bottom) of the item description put a "+altname+ Short Name Here -altname-" (minus the quotes) where "Short Name Here" for example would be "125 Geek Gold", or "$40 ThoughtHammer Gift Card", etc.

2. * "sweeteners" are to be listed using either the GAMEID formatting (prefered, example Hansa) or a link to the game's page (this will look like http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8989). If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.

3. * You must accurately describe your game's condition, language, edition, etc. If you do not then the condition will be assumed to be "like new" and complete, English language version. Do not simply say "as pictured" as it's not always obvious. When in doubt though, folks should post a comment to the item and/or geekmail the item's owner with questions.

3.5. * For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete (I've been on the receiving end 2 or 3 times thus far where the owner assumed and it wasn't)

4. * Traders from all countries are allowed.

5. * Specify your restrictions on shipping in your listing. If you don't it will be assumed you'll ship worlwide for free. (Note: if you list "mirror" shipping, or a limit to how much you will be pay toward the shipping, then you must state where you would be shipping from (zipcode for USA locations).

6. * If you are offering games that you do not have in your possession (ie. that you'll order and have shipped from an online retailer if it trades), you must state in your description that is what you are doing.

7. * No Geek-gold or Gift certificate arbitrage... that means you are not allowed to attempt to trade your geekgold for someone elses geekgold offering, or attempt to trade your gift certificate for someone elses gift certificate offering+++. However attempting to trade geekgold for a gift certificate or vice versa is allowed.

8. * I reserve the right to remove games from the list for whatever reason (though unlikely). If you are on the bad traders list, your games will be removed

9. * Use this forum thread for questions & discussions of this math trade (though for questions on individual items as those as comments to the specific geeklist item)

If you are unfamiliar with math trades, please read the BGG wiki page at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

By posting an entry on this list, you agree to abide both by the general math trade guidelines and by those specific to this math trade.

Trade Resolver: TradeMaximizer (trying to maximize number of trades)
* Duplicate Protection
* NO Priorities
* SEED=1234567
* ITERATIONS=100
* METRIC=USERS-TRADING
Important Note: requires special version of TradeMax (pointer to which will be provided)

Note: only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results.

Note: in the case that there is a problem after the results are posted, at most it will only invalidate the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire results set. In addition if the problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that is perfectly acceptable.

Note: you can start putting together your want list(s) immediately, even before you enter your own items into the math trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Q&A
Q: Where can I find this special version of TradeMaximizer?
A: http://isomerica.net/~jeff/tm.jar
Note: this was compiled against JDK 1.5, apparently compiling w/JDK 1.6 and trying to run with JRE 1.5 gives a version skew exception. Also sources are included inside the jar

Q: why no priorities in this MT?
A: because they are not compatible with the metric we are using. That also means it does not matter how you order your wants (not that ordering them had much effect for most anyway, TradeMax will always use whatever wants will maximize the number of trades)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure the game you are adding to your want list(s) is the game you think it is...
Just to try to prevent a repeat of what happened in the Wargame math trade where two different games had simliar sounding names....

Folks make sure you are adding to your wants the games you think you are adding... look at the "Designer(s)", number of players, check the image(s) provided, and you can always click on the game's name to be taken to the game's page to check everything else about it.

For example, don't confuse Tears of the Dragon with In the Year of the Dragon

Also make sure you are clear which edition of the game it is... for example, El Grande could be the original edition that does not contain any expansions, and the "Decennial" (10th Anniversary) edition which does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submit Want Lists
If folks haven't figured it out... the window to add items into the MT is now closed and the window to submit want lists is now open....

Submissions are via the OLWLG itself... you should now in step 4 see a tab "How to Submit Your Lists". You can submit and resubmit as often as you like up until the deadline which is this Sunday, October 5th til 10pm Eastern Time (that's 9pm Central, 8pm Mountain, 7pm Pacific).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results
Ok, results have been posted... summary available via link from OLWLG home page (look under Previous Math Trades now)...

We had a range of result sets TradeMax found that had between 146 to 154 different users trading (obviously it used the one with 154).

Num trades = 335 of 1363 items (24.6%)
Total cost = 335 (avg 1.00)
Num groups = 4
Group sizes = 272 56 5 2
Sum squares = 77149
Elapsed time = 742938ms (that's over 12 minutes!)

24.6% of items traded is actually pretty good for one of my MT's with the rules I use (no GG for GG, OLWLG use required, etc)

154 users trading out of 207 who submitted works out to 74.4% of the users in this MT getting at least one trade. It's possible that number could be higher if anyone wants to run it again with --seed=-1 (so it uses a different seed each time). Compare that to a possible only 70.5% if the 146 set had come up (this too could have even been lower, we only looked at 100 different possible result sets).

In any case, the raw (TradeMax output) results are at:

http://activityclub.org/bgg/35280-results-official.txt

Results summary at:

http://activityclub.org/bgg/35280-results-summary.html

After being shut out of my own math trade last time, this tiem I got 4 trades!

It does look like however I had at least a possible 7 trades when I reran it with the option to favor a user....

... for anyone else curious you can run it with the version of TradeMax I poitned to on page 1 and run it as such:

java -jar tm.jar --metric=favor-user=yourusername http://activityclub.org/bgg/35280-officialwants.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is based on the code you wrote making the tie-breaker be number of users trading, I assume?

EDIT: Oh, BTW, you should be able to use http://isomerica.net/~jeff/ if you'd prefer to use a shorter name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, I'd just like to say that I appreciate that your trades have tight schedules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - and let me also add that it's about time for another non-con-based trade! i missed out on the last one so I've been suffering from a bit of MT withdrawal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Faria
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there going to be a MT request list? Or am I blind and it's already up?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, how often are there multiple sets of results that yield the same number of trades. In other words, how often are tie-breakers even used??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayolas wrote:
I'm curious, how often are there multiple sets of results that yield the same number of trades. In other words, how often are tie-breakers even used??
In my limited experience? Not that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding #26 (Blood Feud in New York), you are correct: these were not shrinkwrapped new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a request list for this trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically Jeff does not do request lists, as his tool will list the items most wanted by people in the amth trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
Jayolas wrote:
And in reality a WHOLE lot more than you know. But the software handles it, so you don't need to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holy crap! It's already at 200+!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
Isamoor wrote:
Jayolas wrote:
And in reality a WHOLE lot more than you know. But the software handles it, so you don't need to worry about it.
For what it's worth, one of the new options I also added was VERBOSE... that will display the metric computed for each trade set computed when ITERATIONS greater than 1 (normally it just displays the metric when it's found a better set). With the default metric (sum of sqares of the chain/group sizes) you can see how each one has different sets of chain sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
Typically Jeff does not do request lists, as his tool will list the items most wanted by people in the amth trade.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
Typically Jeff does not do request lists, as his tool will list the items most wanted by people in the math trade.
Yup, the "statistics" page. But you never know what folks will bite on... I suggest folks put all their games they don't want anymore into the math trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just hoping to pull a couple of obscure titles out of hiding and while they are listed in the statistics it looks like I am the only one that wants them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the ownership status (at least for me) of games in OWLG is quite a bit behind. Do you only update that on request?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
It seems like the ownership status (at least for me) of games in OWLG is quite a bit behind. Do you only update that on request?
The home page of the OLWLG will tell you how many days it's been since it was last updated.

The OLWLG will only resync your collection data when your username shows up on item(s) in a math trade the OLWLG is supporting. Checking it looks like that's been since January for you? Where have you been?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
sroney wrote:
The home page of the OLWLG will tell you how many days it's been since it was last updated.

The OLWLG will only resync your collection data when your username shows up on item(s) in a math trade the OLWLG is supporting. Checking it looks like that's been since January for you? Where have you been?
OK, so it will update me if I add something to the trade.

January, really????

I knew it had been a while. I kind of ran out of decent things that I wanted to unload. I keep thinking about jumping in, but haven't gotten around to double-checking condition, etc for my games for trade. And with your Friday night deadline, might not make it this time, either. I have Angels playoff games to go to two nights and softball the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I get a trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is my first trade, so I hope I'll do it right.

Could someone explain how to do duplicate protection?

And how do you submit the lists (or is this done automatically)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |