Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » British Columbia

Subject: Game stores in Vancouver rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello British Columbians! I will soon be escaping the "Greater" Toronto Area to spend a week with my brother and his wife in Vancouver. Are there any super rad game stores in town that I would be an idiot not to check out while I'm there? I've heard tell of a place called Drexoll Games, but other than that I'm not sure what's around.

The brother and sis-in-law reside in the lovely "lower east side" (they both do "social"-type work with homeless people, sex trade workers, etc.), so recommendations within striking distance of there would be most helpful (although I'm willing to travel further afield if the final destination will make the transportation costs worthwhile).

Thanks for your help, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Drexoll Games is a great store, and worth checking out. They have two locations, one at 4th and Macdonald, and the other's out in Coquitlam and quite a hike. http://www.drexollgames.com

The other place to go is Imperial Hobbies in Richmond - http://www.imperialhobbies.ca/ - you can get there easily by transit (if you're without a car).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Strategies - 3878 Main St, Vancouver
Craving for a Game - Central City Shopping Centre, 2520-10153 King George Hwy, Surrey, BC (very easy by Sky Train)
Imperial Hobbies - #3 Road - Richmond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Drexoll Games is a great store, and worth checking out. They have two locations, one at 4th and Macdonald, and the other's out in Coquitlam and quite a hike. http://www.drexollgames.com

The other place to go is Imperial Hobbies in Richmond - http://www.imperialhobbies.ca/ - you can get there easily by transit (if you're without a car).
Great - thanks for the links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Griddly wrote:
Craving for a Game - Central City Shopping Centre, 2520-10153 King George Hwy, Surrey, BC (very easy by Sky Train)
Imperial Hobbies - #3 Road - Richmond
Right, I always forget about Strategy Games, but they have a nice shop too.

And there's one more game shop in Marpole, on Granville around 66th or so. I forget the name unfortunately, but they have a really nice selection and slightly better priced than Drexoll and Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to both Drexoll and Imperial and will vouch for both. I prefer the staff of Imperial since I have been going there for approx 20 years and have grown quite the affinity for them. It is located right on #3 Road, across from Lansdowne Mall and easily accessible by transit (take the #98 B-Line from downtown to get there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it - the other game shop on Granville at 66th or so is Connection Games - http://www.theconnectiongames.com/

If you're taking the 98B line bus to Imperial, you can visit them on the way (get off at 70th and walk north to the shop, then go back and head into Richmond to go to Imperial Hobbies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Found it - the other game shop on Granville at 66th or so is Connection Games - http://www.theconnectiongames.com/

If you're taking the 98B line bus to Imperial, you can visit them on the way (get off at 70th and walk north to the shop, then go back and head into Richmond to go to Imperial Hobbies).
Thanks again for more links and bus directions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was an interesting trip (see my last post in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/346286)! But I have some words of caution regarding shopping for games in Vancouver:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/348826

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Griddly wrote:
When did this open up?

There used to be a Comic/CCG store around Main&23rd, is this at the same place?

(Do they have a webpage?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

(Do they have a webpage?)
http://www.strategiesgames.ca/

Edit: It's not a very good website - their product list shows a very small percentage of their available games, and no prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comic shop at Main and 23rd is Lucky's. It is still there and not the same place as Strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games at the Macdonald and fourth store for about a year on a Friday night when the opportunities arose. I found the group there really welcoming and I learnt some classics there like Age of Steam and Union Pacific not to mention a number of stables. The staff and players on those Friday sessions were friendly and inclusive. I wonder if I am the gaming addict I am because of it.

Anyway it gets me recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
The comic shop at Main and 23rd is Lucky's. It is still there and not the same place as Strategies.
That's it! Back in the late 90's I picked up some Magic cards there on a few occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to Drexoll once and the staff seemed pleasant. They seem to have picked up the area that old Sentry Box used to serve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Powell
Canada
Gaspé
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
www.starlitcitadel.com

I'm not sure whether they actually have a brick and mortar store or not, but they're definitely in Van, and their prices are generally fantastic.

Consistently better than Craving for a Game's, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the face of it, Starlit's prices are good, but we've always had exemplary service and prices from Buck at Craving!

BTW, I shop all all the games shops in Vancouver - spread the love around so to speak.

Oh and although Startlit isn't really a brick and mortar, they do have local pickup: a nice combination good prices and no shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaelen Marsden
Canada
flag msg tools
leroy43 wrote:

Connection Games is a nice little store (although pretty cramped when there are a lot of gamers in there). I used to live in the neighborhood and bought quite a number of games there. Note, though, that the 98 b-line no longer exists.

I'd recommend heading to Drexoll first... it's got a much larger selection.

Edit: Ha, I didn't look at the *year* of the post... thought this was a current thread :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know what happened to the games people in gastown?
I LOVED this gameshop so much but it is 17 years ago I was there for the last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It went out of business a few maybe 3 years ago! ;(

Thumb up