Popular Tags: Agricola [+] online [+] [View All]
Chris Deotte
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I created a website to allow my friends and I to play Agricola online. We've been having a good time with it, so I added some extra rooms and decided to make it public so others can enjoy it too. The website is: http://Play-Agricola.com

The site now allows thirteen games at once, since I own many copies of the board game. It is mostly a non-rule enforcement interface, so on your turn, you need to take your own resources, create new objects, and pay for stuff. The entire interface plays inside your web browser so there is nothing to download. The interface does some stuff automatically like bringing out new rounds and scoring at the end. Here's a page that describes how to use the interface: http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/HowTo/howto.html and here's a screen shot of the interface: http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/Images/screen.jpg

To play just have your friends and you log onto the url and then go into the same room. Then, everyone joins the playerlist, first person clicks start and everyone enters. When the game begins, you will see a flashing button that tells each player what they should be doing.

If you have any questions, ask them in this forum or email me at chrisdeotte@gmail.com

I hope you enjoy it. If you have long distance friends that like to play Agricola like I do, now you can schedule a time to play with them!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play Agricola Online 1-4 Players

Great Job!

I need a larger monitor to read the cards without zooming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Stern
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This is very very impressive. I hope it is legal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
haster123 wrote:
This is very very impressive. I hope it is legal!

It certainly seems to me to conform to the spirit of the law (due to the fact that he paid for each copy of Agricola that is being "used"), and I would be surprised if Hanno or Uwe had a problem with it (going by the posts I have seen from Hanno on this site, at least, he is a pretty reasonable person).

I'm not sure why you [addressed to the OP] didn't just email them and ask permission to host games, instead of going to all the trouble of buying four copies, but anyway it's a very impressive system. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I don't think buying four copies was really needed.

In fact, I would REALLY be amazed if Uwe/Hanno/Z-Man/whoever would find this infringing. If anything, this seems to be another advertising channel for them. Whoever finds this version fun to play, bets are he will buy the actual boardgame version first chance he gets.

As for possible bootlegging by using images of the online version, well, I think Agricola is a truly bootlegging-unfriendly game if I ever saw one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool Chris.

Cross platform, browser agnostic and uses AJAX. This is how boardgames online should be done.

Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
One minor enhancement suggestion.

I like seeing the boards of all the players, but on the iPhone and google phone, switching between popup windows is kind of slow.

Perhaps as an option, make the farm boards and occupation boards inline under the main board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice tool.

another enhancement suggestion:
make harvest an extra round with begin / end round buttons and auto-deduct food / deal begging cards at the end of harvest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGame wrote:
The site now allows four games at once, since I own four copies of the board game.

Ask Hanno (www.boardgamegeek/user/Hanno) (the publisher of Agricola) if you can make more digitized copies. I'm sure he won't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
LetsGame wrote:
The site now allows four games at once, since I own four copies of the board game.

Ask Hanno (www.boardgamegeek/user/Hanno) (the publisher of Agricola) if you can make more digitized copies. I'm sure he won't mind.
Since he allowed the released of the solitaire tool for downloading, I'm guessing he won't mind as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
(going by the posts I have seen from Hanno on this site, at least, he is a pretty reasonable person).

i guess you missed the awesome post about the shit eating.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1864503#1864503
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you make no profit out of this (including payed advertising is also making profit!!), it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Hammerite wrote:
(going by the posts I have seen from Hanno on this site, at least, he is a pretty reasonable person).

i guess you missed the awesome post about the shit eating.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1864503#1864503
His response there seems pretty reasonable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reasonable or not, it is one of the best posts on the site ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deotte
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see that many people have been using and enjoying playing Agricola online.
Here are a few notable screen shots in the past 24hrs:

The very first public game:
http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/Misc/GameImages/FirstGame....

A good 2 person game:
http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/Misc/GameImages/GoodGame.j...

A great 3 person game:
http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/Misc/GameImages/GreatGame....

and A great Solo game:
http://Play-Agricola.com/Agricola/Misc/GameImages/GreatSolo....

Continue to have fun!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGame wrote:

Hah! I was one of the players of that game! It ended up super close, something like 44,42,37.

The game handles great and the hardest part is getting used to the interface, which by round 5 or 6 of your first game you should have it learned.

My only complaint is that windows don't appear at the correct size on Chrome. I have to resize the window every time that I zoom in on a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deotte
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to using the drop down menu option, zoom in, on each card, you can resize your entire hand window by hitting the + key (or >) when the hand window is in focus (- or < to zoom out).

You can do this to all the windows including your farm and the game board.

Here is an example: http://banach.ucsd.edu/Agricola/Misc/GameImages/example.jpg

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just witnessed a game, and noticed that one player had this arrangement for his fences:

+---+---+---+
| | |
+ +---+---+
| | |
+ + +
| | |
+---+---+---+

Which is 17 fence segments, so looks like there's a bug in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
crobledo wrote:
LetsGame wrote:

Hah! I was one of the players of that game! It ended up super close, something like 44,42,37.

The game handles great and the hardest part is getting used to the interface, which by round 5 or 6 of your first game you should have it learned.

My only complaint is that windows don't appear at the correct size on Chrome. I have to resize the window every time that I zoom in on a card.

Heh, cool, I was part of that game as well

One problem for me is if you leave the room (for whatever reason), and then come back, all your cards are reset in your hand, so any that have been passed onto you from someone else have disappeared

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Pruitt
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Just witnessed a game, and noticed that one player had this arrangement for his fences:

+---+---+---+
| | |
+ +---+---+
| | |
+ + +
| | |
+---+---+---+

Which is 17 fence segments, so looks like there's a bug in there.

It doesn't enforce anything. It is up to the users to play within the limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deotte
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I fixed the problem pertaining to hand cards. Thanks for informing me. You can now leave and return and your hand cards stay as they were.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
LetsGame wrote:
I fixed the problem pertaining to hand cards. Thanks for informing me. You can now leave and return and your hand cards stay as they were.

Chris

Awesome! I didn't mention it in my original post, but I think you did a really great job with it, so thankyou!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
First off - I love this game. You did a great job. If you don't mind I would like to suggest some things that might help improve the game.

Please bear in mind that I don't know how to program, nor understand how difficult these changes may be. They might be crazy hard, but they seem simple to me.

1) When you choose "plow field" or "plow field and/or sow," have it automatically send the field token to your farm in a similar fashion to how the newborn is added to the family. So when a token is on the action it would use the same command as "take" does with the wood.

This method could also be implimented with other squares that have forced actions, such as, "day labor." Then you would only need to do things manually if you had a minor improvment or occupation that caused modification.

2) Have the option to click on icons for resources/tiles/fences/etc. in addition to having keyboard controls. It would basically be a little portion of the screen with the icons, and you could click them and they would appear. And if you prefer to create via the keyboard then you can as well. It could help make the game more user friendly.

3) During the harvest phase have a pop-up appear for the food needed in a similar fashion to the one where you pay for fences. It would be based off of how many people you have, just like it is based off of how many fences you build. After the feeding phase have animals multiply similarly to how the resources add up over time of not being selected, or like the scoring formula that calculates "if you have so many cow then you get so many points," but instead of points you get a cow.

4) Have room tiles have a menu that lets you select their type when you click on it, similar to the resouce pieces but with just the options of "clay, stone." Clicking it would trigger the action to remove the room and add one of the selected type. You would prolly have to do each one manually unless it removed all and then added the same amount back.

Not sure if these are doable, but they are worth thinking about.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
wonderflex wrote:

4) Have room tiles have a menu that lets you select their type when you click on it, similar to the resouce pieces but with just the options of "clay, stone." Clicking it would trigger the action to remove the room and add one of the selected type. You would prolly have to do each one manually unless it removed all and then added the same amount back.

I'm pretty sure this is already implemented? If you click the room in your farm, you can select which type of room you want it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
you my friend are correct...we can now ignore this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.