Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if it's too soon to start discussing and organizing this years Secret Santa. Is it going to happen this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering that myself recently. I couldn't remember when we started it last year. I thought it was around mid October. I could be VERY wrong though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I looked it up last week, and it looked like in 05 in started in mid-December, 06 in mid-November, and 07 in mid-October....

My extrapolation shows it should have started last month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After Thanksgiving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
With the economy, we should start it now. You know, before eveything folds and there are no more game companies, game stores, or companies to ship them. Not to mention before we all go bankrupt and can't afford them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Not to mention before we all go bankrupt and can't afford them anyway.

On a related note, let's make sure we choose games with only the highest replayability...since we'll all be sitting in caves with only our games to entertain us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
October 15th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm... I'm interested on this. Is this to both wargamers and general gamers?

Anyway, we should get going, redundancy is looming in the horizon and after that I won't be able to be anybody's Santa, not even my own... blush

Maybe we could have a geographical split to save on shipping costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I suppose after Thanksgiving would be cutting it close, especially if you had to ship to europe. Well I'm in again this year and many thanks go out to Tom Vasel for putting this together again. It's always a lot of fun! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OOOH! Another excuse to place an order! And it won't be my fault at all if I just HAVE to order some extra goodies to save on shipping...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a move to split the world on geographical grounds, what is the minimum number to have to make it viable?
Obviously 2 is the minimum or 1 if you have a poor memory.

But there must be a consideration to a reasonable number otherwise you
end up with the USA and the rest of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Maybe we could have a geographical split to save on shipping costs?

hellium wrote:
If there is a move to split the world on geographical grounds, what is the minimum number to have to make it viable?

< cmd >Shell\Open\canofworms< /cmd >

Please, Tom: Do it your way. Last year your willingness to listen to, and wisdom to ignore the suggestions of those who wanted to change your great holiday tradefest was admirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa who?
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I don't think there is any move to split the main BGG Secret Santa into regions. Despite last year's furor over shipping costs, it seemed like Tom and Aldie were both determined to continue on the international route.

I've been pretty happy with it being international so far. It is kind of fun to imagine a geek half a world (okay, technically, I don't think I've managed more than 1/4 world away so far) away opening a box of games I've sent. I'm 2 out of 3 international shipping and wouldn't mind being 3 out of 4 this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
After Thanksgiving

What's Thanksgiving?

Is that yet another excuse for a U.S public holiday?

Seriously - we stand ready as a nation to respond to the clarion call for Secret Santa. Britain, as ever, will be ready (banks permitting) to select, buy and distribute games worldwide with the utmost grace and charm expected of our sceptered isle.

Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
October 15th.

**chuckle**

Now THIS is the man that KNOWS the answer - so why didn't we just ask him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING

Given the collapse of the Aussie dollar from 1:1 with the US dollar to something like 1:0.65 in the past couple of months, my target won't be faring anywhere as well as they have in the past.

Note to self - no three game combos this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
The sooner the targets are assigned the better. I'd like to send something in addition to the game which was impossible to do in the time given last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. My resale shop had a few copies of Monopoly I need to get rid of... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.”
badge
“Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
With the economy, we should start it now. You know, before eveything folds and there are no more game companies, game stores, or companies to ship them. Not to mention before we all go bankrupt and can't afford them anyway.

Perhaps we could use some of that $700 billion boon doggle (err bailout) money to reduce shipping charges? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:
After Thanksgiving

What's Thanksgiving?

Is that yet another excuse for a U.S public holiday?

I work for a canadian company. Now THERE'S a group of people with a LOT of holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to this! How do we know how many gifts to buy for / what total dollar value do we spend on our target? I'd really like to participate, but I don't want my potential target to feel shafted because their Santa is a financially-challenged grad student.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa who?
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In the past, the Secret Santa has included some guidelines for participants as far as a suggested financial commitment. I imagine this year will be no different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArsLoqui wrote:
New to this! How do we know how many gifts to buy for / what total dollar value do we spend on our target? I'd really like to participate, but I don't want my potential target to feel shafted because their Santa is a financially-challenged grad student.

Read this:
BGG Secret Santa
Secret Santa 2007

To particpate in the Secret Santa you must agree to these rules:
1.) Make sure that your wishlist is up to date - you don't want people to send you a game you don't want / already have. Please have a LOT of games on your wishlist, and don't have only a few games that cost quite a bit.
2.) Keep the games that you buy in the $15 - 35 dollar range. If you want to go over, that's fine, but don't be a cheapskate. Why not buy them two games?
3.) You must be willing to ship WHEREVER the address is that is sent to you. If you are not willing to send anywhere in the world, don't apply.
4.) Please send a new game, or a game that is in extremely good condition.
5.) You must send the game promptly. All the games won't make it by Christmas, I'm sure, but as long as the games get there, everyone will be happy. Don't be a Scrooge!
6.) Have fun! Remember, it's better to give than to recieve!
To clarify: Each person who signs up will receive one gift from a "stranger", and will send another gift to a random name on BGG. All gifts must be games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun! I'm in, I missed it last year and wanted to join it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that!

In the spirit of the season (hey, Canadian Thanksgiving is next Monday... that's close enough!) I am forgoing my birthday presents to myself this year and putting that meticulously squirreled cash towards Secret Santa-ry. It is better to give than to receive. what a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |