Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
October 15th.
Thanks, Tom! Looking forward to it.

Can't believe you're taking this project on again; the workload for it must be tough. But, I certainly appreciate your willingness. It's been much fun in the past.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The main question in my mind is if there will be a US Secret Santa as well. I participated in both last year, and had a lot of fun.

I suppose my other concern is that for my birthday, I gave my family the link to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm assuming that we are not supposed to actually ship from the place we are from? Let's say I get someone in the US, I assume it would be ok to buy the item online in an US store and send it that way? In the same way , if someone got me, they could go to an online UK shop and just buy the thing and have it sent to me?

Correct?

Actually , scratch that, I'm unfortunately unable to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Feel the Veil of Darkness Lifting!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Want something fun to read - Check out My Top 100 the 2019 Edition!
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
October 15th.
Yeah...I was just about to post a response along the lines of, "Whenever Tom feels he is ready."

Good stuff man. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Well, I'm assuming that we are not supposed to actually ship from the place we are from? Let's say I get someone in the US, I assume it would be ok to buy the item online in an US store and send it that way? In the same way , if someone got me, they could go to an online UK shop and just buy the thing and have it sent to me?

Correct?

Actually , scratch that, I'm unfortunately unable to participate.
Even though it is all scratched out, you were correct. You do not need to ship from where you are located, but can buy from a local online or brick and mortar store and have it sent from there. There are several online stores that even provide wrapping.

Thanks for doing this again Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined the site this year and fell in love. I heard the Secret Santa mentioned several times in posts and got very excited. I can't wait to participate this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh this time I have a paycheck so this should be an even better year then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Less stress of decisions, makes more play time!
mbmbmbmbmb
ArsLoqui wrote:
New to this! How do we know how many gifts to buy for / what total dollar value do we spend on our target? I'd really like to participate, but I don't want my potential target to feel shafted because their Santa is a financially-challenged grad student.
Doesn't have to be a new game. Could be a gently loved game. You could, for example, send me Burning Drachens and Odin's Ravens from your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to do better as well.

Last year:
The shipping would have made reduced the size of the gift and I couldn't find the game I picked out, so
I tried to buy a game from someone local who wanted to trade it, but when he checked on the game in storage it had water damage, so
I went online and the in-country shops didn't have as big of a selection and I had to pick a couple other games.

I think he liked what he got, but I wish the game I could have sent the game I wanted to send since it was a harder to find game (Which I see he has now picked up somewhere and rates higher than the games I sent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in October. It's Secret Santa. Not Secret Great Pumpkin or Secret Turkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continue to post list of 'participating retailers/on-line stores' should either be posted/pinned seperately or a space reserved as the first post to make finding non-local suppliers more accessible. e.g. I don't mind paying the crummy exchange rate, but $25-40 to ship a game is a bit much. I'd rather spend the money on the GAME, and a nominal ding for the postage locally from that store/retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
You don't have to send it out this month. It's just better to have advance knowledge of your target and their wishes in case your gift-giving involves lots of planning or tracking down a difficult-to-find game. Where's the sense in rushing around at the last minute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
It's just signing up to be a Secret Santa. You won't get your target for a while. Tom needs to have everyone's information, before he starts dividing everyone up. Then the targets get assigned and time is needed for the shipments to arrive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and the "taunting"/hints from the Secret Santa account are part of the fun. Even if you don't ship immediately, DO "taunt" and let your target know that "Santa is on the ball, flogging the elves and reindeer" and all that good stuff

builds anticipation, but reassures the target that they haven't been forgotten/neglected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Oh, and the "taunting"/hints from the Secret Santa account are part of the fun. Even if you don't ship immediately, DO "taunt" and let your target know that "Santa is on the ball, flogging the elves and reindeer" and all that good stuff

builds anticipation, but reassures the target that they haven't been forgotten/neglected.
I agree (last year I was hopping for some taunting, but I didn't receive any... cry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have the extra cash to participate in this last year. BUT, all year long I've been saving my pennies and I am super-excited about participating in the Secret Santa this year!

I can't wait!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone that is interested should be padding their wishlist, so their Santa has a lot to choose from

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or want list. Or both. Also, people will be able to give special instructions for addresses and such, like if they want the SS to use their want list or wish list exclusively or if they are doing another SS like how Carol did an extra SS for the US and others did it in their home countries. Lastly, remember click the link to ACCEPT participation in the international SS. My friend forgot to last year and was thinking he was still participating. When in doubt, ask questions! Someone will be able to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably try to participate this year, but I'll have to see how things develop here in Iceland. Thanks to our Icelandics banks and the global banking crisis, games I would like to buy online in the USA cost more than double what they cost last year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Feel the Veil of Darkness Lifting!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Want something fun to read - Check out My Top 100 the 2019 Edition!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'll be paying about a 3rd more than last year as the Aussie Dollar has fallen into the Pit of Mordor in the last 2 months.

I'll still be in though. Secret Santa is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
ArsLoqui wrote:
New to this! How do we know how many gifts to buy for / what total dollar value do we spend on our target? I'd really like to participate, but I don't want my potential target to feel shafted because their Santa is a financially-challenged grad student.
Doesn't have to be a new game. Could be a gently loved game. You could, for example, send me Burning Drachens and Odin's Ravens from your collection.
Yup. Last year I sent a handmade Micropul and got a well-loved Taluva from a fellow student. The latter is one of our family's favourites! Do what you can. Participate in the spirit of giving. No regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can't wait, this is now my favorite yearly tradition!

Time to update the wishlist...

Happy Thanksgiving Canadians!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to do this - how do we participate in this cool event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Not to worry, all will become clear. Tom will post a discussion with a link to join. ONce the deadline to join is past, you will be sent the name and address of your 'target'. You go check the individual's wish and wantlists and send them something off their lists....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there any criteria for joining, like having a patron badge or such? I'm pretty new so I don't have all the fancy jewelery around my name, but i am interested in participating. I think my (small) contributions show that I'm not just a shill account set up to ruin Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |