Subject: My visits to some FLGS around the World. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fun [+] flgs [+] Images [+] [View All]
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers!

My name is Monica. And I'm a board game addict. Although I don't post here very often, I read almost everything on BGG. I've been playing board games for almost 10 years now, mostly eurogames. And this is my journey to some FLGS around the world. (Well, halfway around the world.)

Before I visit a new country or city, I always check out BGG (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302) if there's any FLGS to stop by during my stay. And most of the time I find the information here useful.

As board games are more cheeper in most other countries compared to the prices here in Norway, there's quite some money to save, buying games in especially Germany and in the US. Well, I don't actually save anything, because I tend to buy a lot more than planned.

To ensure everybody that I actually visited this stores, I took some pictures with me and the store.
So during the last year or so, I've had the pleasure to visit some FLGS in several countries. It all started with a trip to Amsterdam with some co-workers.

The Gamekeeper, Amsterdam.
I had to stop by this store, during my first visit to Amsterdam in october 2007.

As I was going to Essen some weeks later, I couldn't afford to buy many games this time. All I purchased was Tsuro. And I was quite happy with that buy.
A nice little store. A descent selection of eurogames, and many titles in english. Quite importent since I don't read or speak dutch.

CoolStuff Games, Orlando FL.
In late november 2007 we were off to a vacation in the US. I decided to stop by CoolStuff Games in Orlando. Beforehand I had checked their website to get an impression on their selection. I made a list of some interesting games and off I went.

This image shows me waiting for the games to arrive from the storage area.

In this store there's no games in display. I knew this forehand, because of some threads I've read here on BGG. It was different. Buying games unable to touch and feel the actual games. But I coped with it. And went to a computer, typed in some of my most wanted games from my long wishlist. Then a lady behind the desk printed out my order and went to get my games. I waited about ten minutes and then I could pay and carry the games away.
Race for the Galaxy, Shogun, Sleuth, Balloon Cup and 10 more games were flying with me back to Norway from Orlando.

I also visited Sunshine Adventure Gaming in Miami. (No pictures taken, as we were kinda late to the airport, but I had to stop for some minutes)
Here I got hold of Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, Brass: Lancashire and 10 Days in the USA. So I was happy! Though I haven't had the chance to play Brass yet. (I've only owned it for a year. Plenty of time....)

Brave New World, Köln, Germany.
This summer we went on a car trip to Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands. And with a big car, I could easily store a lot of games.

The only big city we visited was Köln (Cologne). There are some stores in Köln, but I decided to go for Brave New World. Mainly because it was in walking distance from our Hotel.

It was a great store with even greater service! After I've looked through their descent selection of games, the owner came up asking if I needed any help. He helped me pick out some games and he carried them to the counter. There were some games I was looking for, that he didn't have in stock. No problem! He made some phonecalls and asked if I could return the day after. And he managed to get hold of six more games from my wishlist! The picture shows me and the owner (I think it is the owner, correct me if I'm wrong).

The best part is yet to be mentioned; he gave me 2 games for free! (Mall of Horror and Metropolys)

So I get why the owner is satisfied, as I walked from the store with 23 games. And I can tell it was heavy! The 10 minute walk to our hotel, felt like an hour.
So Jamaica, Ice Flow, Pandemic and Keltis were some of my best buys, now to be found in my game room.

Leisure Games, London.
My last stop so far was in London. (I came home yesterday.)
I spent nearly a week in England, but only 3 hours in London. And then I had to stop by Leisure Games. The store was easy to find, following the description on their website.
The store had a huge selection of eurogames. And it took a while to scan over all the titles. I didn't find all I was looking for, but with some help I managed to pick out seven games to carry with me back home.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see what I bought this time.
I'm especially happy with my purchase of Logistico; on sale for 8 GBP!

So is this the end of my FLGS journey? Hope not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some great photos!

I too, like to stop in at game stores on my travels. I only really discovered the hobby about two years ago, so I still have some catching up to do.

So far, I have been to Mind Games in Melbourne, Australia and Paradigm Infinitum in Singapore. Recently my wife went to Athens and picked up some games for me at Kaissa Games. I didn't think to take photographs. Seeing your's, I find myself wishing that I had.

I fell in love with Australia and am in the process of moving there (we're waiting for our permanent residence visas to be granted). It dawned on me that, once there, my South African FLGS will most likely be the most "exotic" game store that I have been to, even though most of my games will have been purchased there. Methinks I had better take some photos to remember it by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Superb!

Thanks for the tour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go FC
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:

This summer we went on a car trip to Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands. And with a big car, I could easily store a lot of games.

The only big city we visited was Köln (Cologne). There are some stores in Köln, but I decided to go for Brave New World. Mainly because it was in walking distance from our Hotel.

It was a great store with even greater service! After I've looked through their descent selection of games, the owner came up asking if I needed any help. He helped me pick out some games and he carried them to the counter. There were some games I was looking for, that he didn't have in stock. No problem! He made some phonecalls and asked if I could return the day after. And he managed to get hold of six more games from my wishlist! The picture shows me and the owner (I think it is the owner, correct me if I'm wrong).

The best part is yet to be mentioned; he gave me 2 games for free! (Mall of Horror and Metropolys)

So I get why the owner is satisfied, as I walked from the store with 23 games. And I can tell it was heavy! The 10 minute walk to our hotel, felt like an hour.
So Jamaica, Ice Flow, Pandemic and Keltis were some of my best buys, now to be found in my game room.
Yes, thats the owner. There is a guild for bravenewworld here on the geek, where we discuss the weekly boardgame nights.
They got a gaming area in the basement (see photos on the guilds page) and a nice selection of games -including a lot of imports.

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
That was really interesting!

How do you have time to travel, after reading everything on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun read. Should have made it a geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:

So far, I have been to Mind Games in Melbourne, Australia and Paradigm Infinitum in Singapore. Recently my wife went to Athens and picked up some games for me at Kaissa Games. I didn't think to take photographs. Seeing your's, I find myself wishing that I had.
One day I hope to visit Australia. So I'll keep Mind Games on my mind!
I suppose you had some great experiences in those stores?

And by the way, it's never to late to start to document your FLGS experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:
How do you have time to travel, after reading everything on BGG?
You can travel and read at the same time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
Tobold wrote:

With my heart now set on Australia, Mind Games has taken on an even more magical quality. The thought of walking in to one of their stores again, especially the one in Melbourne (on Swanston Street), knowing that I now live there, is the stuff (my) dreams are made of!

I cannot afford to dwell on it. I find that I lose focus, start dreaming, and my work suffers. I will concentrate on taking some photos of my FLGS here in South Africa to begin with. In March or April next year, we will visit a few Australian cities to activate our permanent residence visas and to choose a destination. I intend to visit, and photograph, a games store in every one of those cities.

I found that US store very interesting. Waiting while they fetch games from storage would be a first for me. The closest I've got to that is fetching games purchased on eBay from the post office. Not quite the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In March or April next year, we will visit a few Australian cities to activate our permanent residence visas and to choose a destination.
Since you love Mind Games in Swanston Street so much, why bother trekking around Australia and just settle in Melbourne? There's four gaming stores in the CBD alone, including a friend who has just opened "Good Games" on Londsdale Street and several gaming clubs, including Gamers @ Dockers, who also meet in the CBD.

Besides, you get to see South Africa play cricket in the world's greatest stadium (the MCG) and you can go to Werribee Open Range Zoo if you start to miss the SA wildlife.

Sure, the way things are going you'll struggle to find a house to live in (accommodation crisis at the moment) and we also have the worst public transport outside of LA, but think about shopping at Mind Games for the rest of your life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Adam, again that warm hospitality that I had the pleasure of experiencing so often when I was in Melbourne. I wouldn't blame you guys if you were sick of all the immigrants pouring in, yet I continue to be surprised.

If it was up to me, I wouldn't be visiting any other cities. I am sure they're quite lovely, but Melbourne so completely took my heart that I have no need to look anywhere else (on the planet, never mind just in Australia).

As it is, I have a wife who has never been to Australia. She insists on seeing at least Brisbane, probably Perth as well. I am hoping that she will warm to Melbourne as I did. I will be doing my very best to persuade her, of course, but I suspect that the city doesn't need my help. It's magical.

I was at the MCG back in 2006, only not for cricket. I went to an AFL game - Melbourne Demons vs Collingwood. I will never forget it. I now watch the weekly AFL highlights show they have on one of our sports channels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyr-shep wrote:

Nice shop, great owner. He was extremely supportive, we made a deal of about 250-300 euro with free shipping back home (!) and a couple of sweeteners.

Plus I could be badly beaten at Twilight Struggle in the gaming room beneath the store by one of the most interesting BBGers. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
(...) city, I always check out BGG (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302) if there's (...)
Soooo... HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO LINK THIS THREAD??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife now thinks looking for gaming stores is part of our traveling.

It started with two trips to London. But, I really couldn't make it up to Leisure Games, but made it to Orc's Nest Which was ok, although it's board games at that time seemed to be mostly SJG, GMT and FFG. The next trip I made it into Playin' Games. I was almost to walk out seeing only 'mass market' games, puzzles and toys. As I was walking out I remember reading something about a downstairs and only then did I notice the stairs going down. Went down there and found a lot better selection. A few used games too. Didn't get anything, but had a nice long talk with a gamer.

The following year we went to Italy. I found to two toy shops that had a selection of games. Bought a couple small ones in one of them. Way over paid, but now I have a couple from Venice.

A couple days later we were walking through Florence. We were running late and my wife felt we were lost. I knew better, but she didn't believe me. Of course, later in the day I proved to her that we weren't lost by going right back to a game store I saw. Strategem (sp?) has a large game and book store. It seemed like a very good one. Had tables in the back with a bunch of people painting miniatures and chatting away. A large selection of all kinds of games With some clearance games and a couple used. As I was walking out I spied up on a loft another shelf of games. And found a copy of Capitol. My wife was happy that I spent so much as she got a dress after that.

Last spring break we went to San Francisco and were visiting the Haight Ashberry area and I knew there was a gaming store some ways off. We walked at least 2 miles out of the way in San Francisco (up hill both ways ) to get to a gaming store before it closed. Went to Gamescape, while I hear it's not the best one in the area, it did have a very large selection. And reminded us of one thing. Gamers know were to get food. We hadn't had the best of luck finding good food, so we asked them. They sent us some plces that turned out good. (So I bought a fairly large order from them).

So, this past summer we were in Vancouver for a company thing. I had looked up a couple game stores and we tried to make time, just couldn't. But, on the way out of town, my non-gaming wife was actually upset that we hadn't been able to hit a game store or two. She says it's now part of traveling to new cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typse2Fsat wrote:
Reminds me of:
Look what you find, when you read some BBG... never heard of this
this guy, cool video...! oh and nice article on game stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
Tobold wrote:

Don't just visit the East Coast, there is a great shop in the West called TACTICS..it's kept me broke for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls