Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction

Since I play Tally Ho! primarily with my kids (my 5 year old daughter and 4 year old son) I thought it might be appropriate to ask them what they think of the game. So here is their review of the game, in interview format. The questions don't follow any particular structure, but I hope you find their answers interesting and entertaining.

The Interview / Review

Q. What do you like the most about the game?

Daughter: That it's really fun. That the bears eat the hunters. And the hunters can shoot the bears back.
Son: I like part of it. The part where the bears eat the hunters.

Q. Do you like to play with the optional rule that the hunters can turn their guns?

Daughter: Yeah, because then they can shoot better.
Son: Yes, then the animals can't escape.
Daughter: But if I was the bears I wouldn't want the hunters to turn their guns.

Q. Which is your favourite animal?

Daughter: The bear and the pheasant. The pheasant can be called the "pleasant pheasant" and the bear can eat people.
B. The Duck. Because the fox likes to eat the ducks, as well as the pheasant pleasants.

Q. Is the game good enough by itself (i.e., it doesn't need expansions or fixes)?

Both: yes.

Q. What would make it a better game?

Daughter: If you turn your gun as many times as you want in one turn.
Son: If there are no tiles left on the board and all the animals have been eaten. Then you would have eaten lots of animals and you would be pretty fat – like if you have a baby in your tummy.

Q. If you could add an animal what would it be?

Daughter: a wolf
Son: a kangaroo

Q. What would these animals do?

Daughter: A wolf would have to be blocked in by trees. And the lumberjacks could move the trees. If you block the wolf on the sides of the board you get three points (1 per tree) and if in the middle you get 4 points (1 per tree). Also, the wolf can eat anything.
Son: The baby kangaroos can go close by their mamma. The kangaroos can hop over trees and they can push trees down. And the wolves can eat leaves from the trees.

Q. If you could add a person what would it be?

Daughter: Little Red Ridinghood – then the wolf could eat her.
Son: A policemen. And a dog!

Q. If you could add more vegetation, what would it be?

Daughter: Red roses.
Son: No answer [he was rolling on the ground laughing at his last answer]

Q. Do you like the components?

Daughter: I Like the pictures. I like the blue background on some of the tiles.
[Son was still rolling on the ground laughing]

Q. Which game is better than this one?

Daughter: Chess.
Son: Battlelore

Q. Which game do you like less?

Daughter: Der Schwarze Pirat
Son: Froggy Boogie

Q. Are the rules hard or easy?

Both: easy.
Daughter: Because you just have to make sure you have more points than anyone else in the game.

Q. How long does the game take?

Daughter: Just a couple of minutes – ten minutes
Son: 2 hours.

Q. Who wins most often:

Daughter: Sometimes me and sometimes him.
Son: Me.

Q. What is the highest score you've ever had:

Daughter: When I ate both of the bears.
Son: The game we just played. I don't know.
Daughter: But I won that game. I had 63.
Son: But I meant only with daddy and me.

Q. How old do people have to be before they can play?

Daughter: Probably 3
Son: I think 6.
Mom [chiming in]: but you're not 6.
Son: I mean someone else.
Mom: so you think you're smart enough but not someone else?

Q. Is this game best for adults or for kids?

Daughter: for kids
Son: For both.

Q. Any final thoughts?

Daughter: It's really fun. Mostly like chess.
Son: If you had a baby in the forest then the baby would get eaten.

And with these observations the interview came to an end. I hope that gives you some idea of how a four and five year old view this game, a perspective that I'm sure will be of benefit to some, although for how many I cannot vouch for.

If you wish to read a session report of the kids playing, please see here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/347133.

Thank you for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was Awesome! I wish i could give more than one thumb! (but for Geeks without kids, it might be mostly lost on them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helms
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very interesting responses there. And yes, Tally Ho is very similar to chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabulous!

Having a kid at that age made me really relate... the "how long does it take to play", really made me laugh.

Oh, and incidentally I play the game with my kids, 9 and 6 and we have a hoot every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottsnew1 wrote:
That was Awesome! I wish i could give more than one thumb! (but for Geeks without kids, it might be mostly lost on them)

Yes, I was rather amused myself at some of their responses - but I worried that some of it might be lost on others.

Even from such a short interview you can already tell the difference in development between the two kids. My daughter's answers tend more towards the rational end of the spectrum, whereas my son's answers often bear little relation to reality and are thoroughly imaginative. That might also say something about their characters though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to see more reviews like this. I hope to do something like this once my children (2 & 0(any day now)) are old enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just embarrassed myself in the office, reading this article and laughing out LOUD when reading
Quote:
And the wolves can eat leaves from the trees.
blush

nice format, fun review and indeed some very "interesting" answers, specially from your son!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvandyk wrote:
Even from such a short interview you can already tell the difference in development between the two kids. My daughter's answers tend more towards the rational end of the spectrum, whereas my son's answers often bear little relation to reality and are thoroughly imaginative.

Good observation! And a review like this is a fantastic idea! That earns you a 1GG tip sir! I read this out loud to my children, and they were rolling on the floor with laughter at some of the comments! Thanks for inspiring me to try a similar idea with my children - I just interviewed my 8 year old and 10 year old about Thebes, as you can read here:

What Real Children Think About THEBES: An interview with an 8 & 10 year old
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/350381
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to get your son a copy of Break the Safe -- it comes with both a policeman and a dog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
I think you need to get your son a copy of Break the Safe -- it comes with both a policeman and a dog!

Thanks for the suggestion - To me you're pretty much THE authority on kid's games here on BGG so I'll definitely look into that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
smithhemb wrote:

Arkham Horror has those too.

Although perhaps that is not the most appropriate game for four- and five year olds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Homo Ludens for a great review. I was looking into the 2-player series by kosmos to see if any game would be suitable for an-almost-6-year old and read this great review. Hope the kids are growing up still as boardgamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.