Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I live on the Virginia Peninsula where the few LGS just aren't worth the gas to drive to -- I'm forced to shop online. I don't mind but I miss the atmosphere of a good game store.

My daughter went up to Fairfax for college and is now at school in DC. I get to go up and visit every so often and wondered which are the better game stores in the area.

Driving or Metro not a problem...

Thanks,

Madkestrel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is the Game Parlor, with locations south of D.C. in Woodbridge VA and (the orginal) west in Chantilly. The stores are huge with lots of tables for open gaming and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. They also sponser tons of leagues, events, and open gaming sessions. If you are a table top miniatures gamer, I'd especially recommend Chantilly as they have four huge tables with all sorts of terrain you can use. Check out the calendars of their two locations at their website.

http://www.gameparlor.com/

P.S. I grew up on the peninsula and spent countless hours playing at Atomic Comics in Hampton in the '80s. I know Jim Destrop was always more of a comics guy than a gamer, but he used to have a good open game room. Not so much any more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the north side of town, there's Dream Wizards in Rockville, MD
and the Family Game Store in Savage, MD.

Dream Wizards is near White Flint Mall, and has more wargames than Family Game Store. They also have a pretty big anime section.
I think they're closed on Mondays.

Family Game Store has a much more Eurogame slant. They have open gaming on Saturday Evenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:

P.S. I grew up on the peninsula and spent countless hours playing at Atomic Comics in Hampton in the '80s. I know Jim Destrop was always more of a comics guy than a gamer, but he used to have a good open game room. Not so much any more?

Thanks... I knew I'd heard of one from an email acquaintance some years ago, but I'd been trying to remember the name of it. I'm certain this is the one I was looking for.

Atomic Comics is still around... they branched out to a second (small) store up in the Denbigh area which does mostly collectables. I used to take my son up there for Mechwarrior. My last two trips to the store in Hampton had only very old stock, mostly used and frequently water damaged. When we moved here in '98 the 'game room' was 'pay to join my game club then you can see the room'. We never bothered. I haven't been back to the Hampton store in probably three years, but I drive past the Denbigh location every once in a while.

We live in York County, where Jersey's pretty much rules the gaming scene, but they've moved to a smaller more remote store location. I didn't even see a gaming table last time I went there -- very little in the way of games aside from D&D and a half dozen wargames.

P.S. Love your Avatar! I don't typically use an avatar, but if I did, it would have to be Granny Weatherwax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:

Dream Wizards is near White Flint Mall, and has more wargames than Family Game Store. They also have a pretty big anime section.

Family Game Store has a much more Eurogame slant. They have open gaming on Saturday Evenings.

Thanks! I'll have to check these out as well! Daughter is firmly settled up there now, so there will be plenty of trips.

Madk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
Your best bet is the Game Parlor, with locations south of D.C. in Woodbridge VA and (the orginal) west in Chantilly. The stores are huge with lots of tables for open gaming and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. They also sponser tons of leagues, events, and open gaming sessions. If you are a table top miniatures gamer, I'd especially recommend Chantilly as they have four huge tables with all sorts of terrain you can use. Check out the calendars of their two locations at their website.

I can NOT stress enough the superiority of Game Parlor to the other stores in the area (at least, when I left NoVA in '05).

If your daughter's at George Mason, the Chantilly store will be the easiest to get to... Quick ride up the Fairfax County Parkway to 50 west... It can be hard to find if you've never been there before, so google the directions...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The one in Chantilly is the one I'd heard so much about. I really want to see that one.

Daughter lives near GMU in Clifton, goes to Law School at Catholic for the foreseeable future, so she's all over the place. We put GPS on her phone, so directions aren't a problem anymore.

Looking forward to my next trip up there.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evanko
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can also try the Eagle and Empire Game Store at 6468 Landsdowne Center, Alexandria, VA 22315
Phone: 703-550-6124

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madkestrel wrote:

The one in Chantilly is the one I'd heard so much about. I really want to see that one.

Daughter lives near GMU in Clifton, goes to Law School at Catholic for the foreseeable future, so she's all over the place. We put GPS on her phone, so directions aren't a problem anymore.

Looking forward to my next trip up there.

Thanks!

I actually prefer the Woodbridge location. Lot's more gaming space and best that I can tell, their inventory is pretty much the same. The Chantilly store feels cramped to me. It sounds like she is perhaps a smidge closer to the Chantilly store (assuming she's near the intersection of 123 and 7100).

Anyway, they both carry a lot of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:

Dream Wizards isn't closed on Mondays, they close at 6pm. They also seem to suffer from Not-paying-attention-to-my-stock-itis. Often you can find plenty of expansions for games they don't have the base game of. They do have a very active and large CCG stock, though.

I just got back from Family Games Store (not having heard of it until this post) and they've got a great selection, and a very nice store. I was very impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls