Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
260 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: MinCrapMaxAccountability Pre-Thanksgiving 2008 MT -- Discussion, Debate, General Chit-Chat, & Whining Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: math-trade [+] [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
shadow9d9 wrote:
wytefang wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding this info, so I'll ask it here and prepare for the ridicule surely to follow. Can we now use the OWLG whatever it's called to list our Wants or are we still waiting for this listing of Offers to close down finally?

When I tried to use it the other day, it didn't include my games offered so I assumed it was waiting until it reached the close of the offered games stage.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, I've never done one of these before and to be honest, they seem overly confusing, even after reading several "guides" to using them. I think (just my opinion, so save the flaming please) that these probably should be FAR, FAR easier to be involved in - much of the technical stuff should just stay behind the scenes. Make these as idiot-proof as possible - for, well, idiots like me. LOL

Also, in case it gets lost in the shuffle, many thanks to RoamDog for setting this up. THANK YOU!
You have to wait for it to close and then he will announce when the olwlg is ready to go.

I only participated in one math trade previously, but ended up getting a good 5-6 trades on that one.. which broke records apparently.. I decided to construct my list myself instead of using the olwlg.
Actually one of the coolest things about the OLWLG is that you can begin compiling your Want List even before you even post your first offer.
You do have to wait for the periodic re-synchs to start matching your offers with the items that you want. I have tried to re-synch every couple hours but have had a bit of real life today so have been away from the computer off and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
Rokkr wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
plasticaddict wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

Also, I think 7.5+ is a little high.. games like Antike don't even apply.
Your opinion on the 7.5 is noted.
I would have to agree that 7.5 seems to be an odd cut-off.
I got an email inviting me to participate today, but it was after item #751... So, my options are limited.
I have many items to trade which are both high quality and highly desirable based on the number of trade requests they generate for me. Unfortunately, none are rated above 7.5. So, I'll have to wait for the next MT.
Examples include San Marco (new & sealed), Battle Cry (new and sealed), Epic Duels (new & sealed), RoboRally (new & sealed), ...

This is more of a 'whine' than anything. Other than that, I like all other aspects of this math trade. Hopefully I'll catch the next one earlier.
Actually the 7.5 number cuts off the top 500 at 45, so only unranked games below the top 45 with high ratings are eligible.
This excludes:
Galaxy Trucker
Dune
Roads & Boats
Antiquity
and yes the list of high end games not eligible goes on almost endlessly.
This is simply wrong. Please ignore this data as it is not correct. Go to Advanced Search and choose rating between 7.45 and 10 (and click to ignore expansions if you want to further restrict the list--although expansions can be eligible tier 01 games).
Damn,I'm an idiot. How could I possibly have made such a dumb mistake?
Obviously, you are not an idiot. It is confusing that BGG maintains two different averages and does not really label them very clearly in different places.
I am sure that you thought that I was insane when I started talking about over 2,500 games having a rating of 7.5 or higher.
I guess we were actually both right.

Does the clarification on which rating to use that I recently posted clear up the confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
justscott wrote:
Quote:
And yes, anybody that does inadvertently post an ineligible offer should
Quote:
simply edit the original text (but do NOT delete the entry from the GL), and change its description to "Item No Longer Available, I'll submit a blank want list" or text to that effect. And then remember to submit a blank Want List when the time comes.
I read that, but as a point of clarification, would you like them to change the actual item on the geeklist so the game doesn't show up at all? That would for sure eliminate any possible confusion. See #790 for example.
Sorry for not providing a complete answer before.
Yes. Changing the gameid is the optimal approach. Actually, it is a good idea to change the item id to something like (gameid=0) Null or (gameid=11901) Tic-Tac-Toe (although somebody actually posted Tic_tac_toe in the last MT in an absolutely hilarious posting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
dyfrgi wrote:
Well, if they didn't post to say why they weren't participating, the moderator might never know about their particular complaints.
Yeah. I think you know where those complaints are being filed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
RoamDog wrote:
This would be yet another great addition to the OLWLG. But it does not really completely address the issue for me (although it might for others). I like to look at the pretty pictures associated with the entries and I like to read the comments added to the offers. Which is why I actually start by going through the actual GeekList itself and then switch to the OLWLG.
I'm a little confused, the OLWLG lets you view all the images (the item associated image and embedded images), and all the comments added by the item's owner are also displayed by the OLWLG.

If you'd like to have the images displayed by default (instead of having to click on the icon to show each image) that could be an option I could consider adding to the "to do" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
This would be yet another great addition to the OLWLG. But it does not really completely address the issue for me (although it might for others). I like to look at the pretty pictures associated with the entries and I like to read the comments added to the offers. Which is why I actually start by going through the actual GeekList itself and then switch to the OLWLG.
I'm a little confused, the OLWLG lets you view all the images (the item associated image and embedded images), and all the comments added by the item's owner are also displayed by the OLWLG.

If you'd like to have the images displayed by default (instead of having to click on the icon to show each image) that could be an option I could consider adding to the "to do" list.
I'd love the option to preload and automatically display the images.

And I'd like to see the comments from the posters other than the owner. When I am not the moderator, I often forget to go back to the original GL and see if anybody has asked me any quesitons. Having everybody's comments displayed in the OLWLG would go along way toward avoiding some of the problems caused by incomplete information being posted, somebody asking for a clarification and there never being a response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've tried to find this info but have had little luck doing so, so far, thus I'll ask here.

What is the effect of having multiple copies of a game (from different owners/offerers) in my OLWLG Want List? Does having multiple copies dictate a higher likelihood of acquiring that game or will it make it likely that I'll end up with two copies?

Thanks for any info someone can provide this newb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
While we are in a bit of a lull, please take the time to go ahead and leave a tip for the folks that provide the tools that make these MTs possible.
[userid=JeffyJeff] and [userid=cokasaki]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
wytefang wrote:
I've tried to find this info but have had little luck doing so, so far, thus I'll ask here.

What is the effect of having multiple copies of a game (from different owners/offerers) in my OLWLG Want List? Does having multiple copies dictate a higher likelihood of acquiring that game or will it make it likely that I'll end up with two copies?

Thanks for any info someone can provide this newb.
If you are only offering one item yourself then put as many copies of the game you want from as many different users as possible.
However,
If you are offering more than one item yourself AND put all the copies from different users on all your Want Lists, you will both increase the likelihood of winning a copy (hooray) and of winning multiple copies of the same thing (boo).

To prevent this, you want to use the Duplicate protection feature of the OLWLG. The duplicate protection feature is considered by some to be one of the few non-intuitive features of the OLWLG. So, care must be exercised. And I think that I will let JeffyJeff explain how to use it as I am sure that he can do a better job than me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Viau
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Rock Band fanMicrobadge: If it's not Scottish it's Crap!Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fan
My apologies for going off the deep end and ranting about the list.

I was out of line and wanted to say so. Hope everyone gets something nice. Next time I'll try to get here earlier so I have something to offer other than my opinion.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Grammar PoliceMicrobadge: Let's keep things nice and alphabetizedMicrobadge: I hate promos!Microbadge: University of KansasMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
RoamDog wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Thanks for any info someone can provide this newb. :)
If you are only offering one item yourself then put as many copies of the game you want from as many different users as possible.
However,
If you are offering more than one item yourself AND put all the copies from different users on all your Want Lists, you will both increase the likelihood of winning a copy (hooray) and of winning multiple copies of the same thing (boo).

To prevent this, you want to use the Duplicate protection feature of the OLWLG. The duplicate protection feature is considered by some to be one of the few non-intuitive features of the OLWLG. So, care must be exercised. And I think that I will let JeffyJeff explain how to use it as I am sure that he can do a better job than me.
This explains it:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32005
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BGG.CON attendee
I'm going to assume that Web of Power isn't considered as a tier 1 game by your strict requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Alan WattsMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: Warning: this object does not existMicrobadge: Math Trader
You should put the due dates at the top of the geeklist header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
craniac wrote:
You should put the due dates at the top of the geeklist header.
I am not a big fan of repeating all the rules in the Trade GeekList header (partly because it makes posting offers more cumbersome). I like the rules to be in the Rules forum.
However, it probably is a good idea to keep the very next deadline in front of everybody in the GeekList.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Zalasta wrote:
I'm going to assume that Web of Power isn't considered as a tier 1 game by your strict requirement.
Technically it is not. But it is a 7.43 with demand of over +100. So, I am going to exercise moderator prerogative and give you the go ahead to post it.

Everybody else - Please do not swamp me with requests for exceptions. However, if you have a game that is 7.4 or higher and has NetDemand of over +100 then ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Just wanted to post a quick, "Thank You" to everybody that is adding comments to the Request GeekList to point to items that have been offered in the Trade GeekList. It is helpful to folks that have specifically requested stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
Microbadge: BuddhistMicrobadge: Plays Games with ChildrenMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead fan
Just got a local trade for item #499 (Pursuit of Glory), so I'll be submitting a blank want list for that one. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Microbadge: This is Bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Burrito loverMicrobadge: Bacon loverMicrobadge: Brewtown Boardgamers Guild
I am concerned about our corporate literacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
There is less than 1 hour left.

If we reach 958 offers, the person that actually posts the 958th offer will win a GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is the first time i have used the OLWLG will you (the person running the trade) automatically get my wants when i use this OLWLG feature?

Thanks
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: I respond to all trade offersMicrobadge: 18xx fan
custom golf clubs wrote:
This is the first time i have used the OLWLG will you (the person running the trade) automatically get my wants when i use this OLWLG feature?

Thanks
Jon
When submissions are allowed there will be a button to submit your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dang...missed it by that much!
Darn it, I missed the boat on this one...spent to much time reading the rules.

I'll see ya'all next go 'round and best of luck all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Alan WattsMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: Warning: this object does not existMicrobadge: Math Trader
Here are the different deadlines, taken from the rules thread:

EXPIRED DEADLINES

Request GeekList is available:............................ (Monday) 06-Nov at 08:00 CT (approximate)

Offer Submission Period is Opened:........................ (Monday) 10-Nov at 08:00 CT (approximate)

Request GeekList is closed to additional requests ........ (Wednesday) 12-Nov at 08:00 CT (approximate)

Offer Submission Period is Closed:........................ (Thursday) 13-Nov at 18:00 CT

THURSDAY:
.....Preliminary Official Offer Summary List will be posted:... (Thursday) 13-Nov at 20:00 CT (approximate)

.....Corrections to Offer Summary List MUST be requested by:... (Thursday) 13-Nov by 21:00 CT

.....Validated Official Offer Summary List will be posted:..... (Thursday) 13-Nov at 22:00 CT (approximate)

.....Want List Submission Period is Opened:.................... (Thursday) 13-Nov at 22:00 CT (approximate)

SATURDAY:
.....Want List Submission Period is Closed:.................... (Saturday) 15-Nov at 17:00 CT

.....Preliminary Official Summary of Want Lists will be posted: (Saturday) 15-Nov at 23:00 CT (approximate)

.....Corrections to Summary of Want Lists MUST be requested by: (Sunday) 16-Nov by noon CT

.....Validated Official Summary of Want Lists will be posted:.. (Sunday) 16-Nov at 18:00 CT (approximate)

.....Preliminary Official Results will be posted:.............. (Sunday) 16-Nov at 19:00 CT (approximate)

.....Issues with Preliminary Results MUST be surfaced by:...... (Sunday) 16-Nov by 20:00 CT

.....Official Results will be Declared Final:.................. (Sunday) 16-Nov between 21:00 and 23:00 CT

.....EZ-View Results will be posted:........................... Whenever it is convenient for Jeffy

Please ship games by 11/20 so that everybody will have them in time to take to Thanksgiving.

Moderator reserves the right to change dates/times at his discretion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Again, I would highly recommend that you use the OLWLG to build and submit your Want Lists.

If you are building your Want Lists manually, the Summary file is at
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2652816#2652816

And either way, I am begging you to exhaustively review all of your Want Lists prior to submission. Once the Official Summary of Wants List is published you will not be able to make any changes. The only changes possible at that point would be due to moderator transcription errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: I accepted the Net Zero ChallengeMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Coffee drinker
Um, I noticed that an unpunched copy of Raiders and Traders, very similar to my own, just sold on Ebay for $238. I'm a little stunned. I got it at St. Vincent de Paul last week for $1. I guess I will be submitting a blank want list for it. Even if I get $100 less for mine (Ebay can be fickle), it still exceeds how much I was valuing it by almost $100....

If you had your heart set on on it, geekmail me and we'll see if we can't work something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] |