Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
260 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [11] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: MinCrapMaxAccountability Pre-Thanksgiving 2008 MT -- Discussion, Debate, General Chit-Chat, & Whining Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: math-trade [+] [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
joewyka wrote:
Um, I just noticed than and unpunched copy of Raiders and Traders, very similar to my own, just sold on Ebay for $238. I'm a little stunned. I got it at St. Vincent de Paul last week for $1. I guess I will be submitting a blank want list for it. Even if I get $100 less for mine (Ebay can be fickle), it still exceeds how much I was valuing it by almost $100....

If you had your heart set on on it, geekmail me and we'll see if we can't work something out.
Hmm, that seller is someone local to me and an active math trader, he must be very happy.

Weird, because another one only sold for $41 on Ebay, and the highest price paid though the BGG marketplace was $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Microbadge: Odin's Ravens fanMicrobadge: Ardbeg: Peat is all you need!Microbadge: VikingMicrobadge: ÁsatrúMicrobadge: Fjords fan
If you can get $100 for it... sure... sell it.

But put a reserve on it of $50 or more, or you may be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: I accepted the Net Zero ChallengeMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Coffee drinker
diehard4life wrote:
If you can get $100 for it... sure... sell it.

But put a reserve on it of $50 or more, or you may be disappointed.
I hate reserves. I frankly never understood the point of them, but I would certainly put a minimum of $49.99. I'm not 100% sure yet what I'll do with it. I have no illusions. I think there's still a couple of items I'd be willing to trade it for here, so I'll send in a small list for it. If someone wins it, maybe they speculate with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
OK. We are at the submit Want Lists stage. A couple of notes (especially directed at first timers and newbies).
One more plug for the OLWLG. You probably already know this but you can use the OLWLG to sort the list by various fields. I would recommend that you look through the list sorted by GL# (the default), then do a second review sorting by Game Name, then by submitter. Some things may pop out when you look at the list in differrent orders.

If you are using the OLWLG you may have already noticed that a new button magically appeared on the step 4 page called, "How to Submit Your Lists." This is what you click when you have finished compiling your WL inside the OLWLG. It will give you one final chance to review your list prior to submission.

If you are maually building your Want List or if you are using the OLWLG to build your draft WL but want to tweak it manually prior to submission, then send your WL directly to the moderator: RoamDog [at] PObox [dot] com. For manual submitters using this email address should eliminate the GeekMail problems with long Want Lists. Use a subject line of [yourBGGuserName] ":" [name of this particular MT] "WANT LIST" (without the brackets or quotes). If you have multiple items up for trade, you must submit one want list for each item, but you should combine them into a single email.

If you use the OLWLG to submit your Want Lists, please do NOT also send it manually. Conversely, if you send you WLs manually do not then turn around and submit them via the OLWLG.

If you need to send a corrected version of your Want Lists, that is fine as long as you do it before the deadline AND use the same transmission method that you used to send the original. If you used the OLWLG to submit your original Want Lists, just click the submit button again to send a correction. If you manaully submitted your WLs, then send another email with the corrected version. Please put CORRECTED at the beginning of your subject line if you do so.

I have errands to run today so I will be away from the computer intermittently today (Friday), but will definitely be checking in later this afternoon. More importantly, I will be away from my computer all afternoon on Saturday until about 2 minutes from the deadline to submit your Want Lists. This should not have any negative impact on you as long as you do not wait until the last minute to submit your WLs or ask questions related to that process. So, ask your questions today. Feel free to post your questions in one of the discussion threads. If the answer is already in the rules, any experienced MT participant can paste the answer into a response. For questions that only the moderator can answer, it is critically important to post these today (Friday) rather than waiting until Saturday.

Remember all the dates are still listed in the Rules thread if you have any question; however, the most important deadline is:

Want List Submission Period is Closed:.................... (Saturday) 15-Nov at 17:00 CT

17:00 is 5:00 p.m. for those of you that are not used to working with computers.

A quick summary of what happens when the deadline to submit Want Lists is reached--the OLWLG will be locked so that no additional submissions can take place. The moderator will then manually merge the online WL submissions with the emailed WL submissions. Then go through the consolidated list and blank any WLs that should have been submitted as blanks but were not. Then review the complete list for errors. Once all is good the consolidated Summary of Want Lists will be posted. Unless there is a disaster of epic proportions (or the moderator loses his Internet connection at just this point), there should be no problem publishing the consolidated WL Summary by 23:00 on Saturday. There will then be a period where everybody can review the Summary to see if the moderator made any transcription errors (and ridicule him if he did so). Then the actual results will be published.

Before you submit your final WLs, you might want to take one more look through the actual GeekList. There are quite a few underrated (or diamond-in-the-rough) games being offered.

Good hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade Moderator
Everytime I see one of your posts, my eyes glaze over. wow

I don't want to seem ungrateful since I appreciate your efforts in putting this math trade togther as well as the constant updates, but wow, are you ever verbose. The rules alone read longer than the US Constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Microbadge: Odin's Ravens fanMicrobadge: Ardbeg: Peat is all you need!Microbadge: VikingMicrobadge: ÁsatrúMicrobadge: Fjords fan
As a dude with a Sociology degree, let me admit that I, too, resemble that remark.

It is difficult, when people don't read, to resist add more words to explain things.

And in our litigious society, it takes more words to CYA. But, it doesn't fix the initial problem, in my opinion, that people do not read (aka take responsibility for their own behavior).

Here I go again... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Empires in Arms fanMicrobadge: Proud member of the 12th Man | Go HAWKS!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Watch it Played fan
New at this Math Trade stuff. What should my want list that I submit look like? Please email me the answer if you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Use the OLWLG, and it won't be a problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: I accepted the Net Zero ChallengeMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Coffee drinker
diehard4life wrote:
As a dude with a Sociology degree, let me admit that I, too, resemble that remark.

It is difficult, when people don't read, to resist add more words to explain things.

And in our litigious society, it takes more words to CYA. But, it doesn't fix the initial problem, in my opinion, that people do not read (aka take responsibility for their own behavior).

Here I go again... gulp
Brevity is the source of wit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Revolutions are always verbose." -Trotsky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
Microbadge: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.” — Anaïs NinMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: I support ArsenalMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Peace and Tolerance
diehard4life wrote:

True, but then people tend to tune it out, as reading that much becomes a chore. It's like fine print. Everyone knows they should read it but very few do, because the fine print is usually so much to read that people don't feel they have the time - and you know that some companies really take advantage of that fact.

I try to keep things as brief and to the point as possible (with varying degrees of success, I'm sure), to make things easier for the participants to get, and if people don't read then it's their own fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Alan WattsMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: Warning: this object does not existMicrobadge: Math Trader
Ironically, November 13th was World Usability Day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Euroquest attendeeMicrobadge: Spielworxx fanMicrobadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: Essen attendee
joewyka wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

Here I go again... gulp
Brevity is the source of wit.
I think it's brevity is the soul of wit.
Of course you may be looking to start a new phrase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Euroquest attendeeMicrobadge: Spielworxx fanMicrobadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: Essen attendee
craniac wrote:
Ironically, November 13th was World Usability Day.
Actually that's apt because I felt used yesterday..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Empires in Arms fanMicrobadge: Proud member of the 12th Man | Go HAWKS!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Watch it Played fan
diehard4life wrote:
People toss this acronym around as though everyone knows what it is. But I did manage to find the link to this, though I still do not know what it stand for. I tried to log in and the site has not emailed me so that I can access the tool. It appears I will be stuck doing it on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
Microbadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Yellow Ribbon (Support Our Troops)Microbadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan
Dave Davies wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
People toss this acronym around as though everyone knows what it is. But I did manage to find the link to this, though I still do not know what it stand for. I tried to log in and the site has not emailed me so that I can access the tool. It appears I will be stuck doing it on my own.
O - On
L - Line
W - Want
L - List
G - Generator

(see http://activityclub.org/bgg/mathtrade.cgi)

If you have troubles with getting your email from the site, you might want to drop JeffyJeff a geek mail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Long Distance Running fanMicrobadge: Washington Capitals fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: School TeacherMicrobadge: Orienteering fan
Dave Davies wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
OLWLG link

http://activityclub.org/bgg/mathtrade.cgi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It was a bit tricky to figure out but I think I got it finally. Dave, feel free to post here if you have more questions once you get your email activation in order to use the OLWLG.

I can help (I think).

I can also see both sides of the issue about loads of rules text for this MT...RoamDog is covering all the bases and to do so, it requires a certain amount of verbosity, I imagine.

On the other hand, it can be daunting for newbies and a turn-off for people who just don't have the time to read it all. It's a tricky situation, if you ask me and I'd rather have ALL the info than limited info just for brevity's sake. That could lead to worse confusion in the long run.

Just my 2cts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Dave Davies wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
When in doubt, google Actually I hadn't googled it before, but the top result is Steve's geeklist on how to use the OLWLG (On-Line Want-List Generator, I know, not everyone likes the name ).

Checking logs it does look like you requested a geekmail (not email) for a login link, but checking my outbox, it didn't make it through. The geekmails sometimes don't go through when BGG hiccups (I've been seeing lots of SQL errors like maxusers exceeded, lately). I just had it resend it to you and this time the geekmail went through.

Make sure to look through Steve's geeklist for help with the OLWLG... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A hearty thanks to Jeff for creating and supporting this tool, btw. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
wytefang wrote:
A hearty thanks to Jeff for creating and supporting this tool, btw. Thank you!
QfT.

JeffyJeff does accept GG tips in his tip jar which is also a nice way to say thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Somebody just suggested to me to remind everyone...

"If you're using the OLWLG, before you submit your lists, check carefully on the last page to make sure that each of your entries contains only things you would really take for it."

The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

The first rule of Math Trade is, double-check your Want Lists as YOU are 100% responsible for the accuracy of your Want Lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a comment about my copy of Age of Empires III listed in the trade and just replied to it. I'm copying here just in case it gets read here and not there. (I also GMd the individual who asked)

This is the 2007 edition. Because of the large box size and not many contents (this box seems way oversized for its contents) there is a slight cupping in the lid.

Also - I just happened to think about this; may not be anything, but since I don't have another to compare to I don't know; the pieces inside are contained inside baggies; i.e. no insert. I'm not sure if this game even came with an insert or not since I didn't buy it new. Just letting you know in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Faria
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: 2007 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2008 Christmas Card Exchange participantMicrobadge: Reiner Knizia freakMicrobadge: 2008 Secret Santa participant
I accidentally screwed up when checking the boxes on the OLWLG and now I can't see to get it to reset. Anyone know how I go back so I can fix everything since I have no idea how I screwed up? It's never happened before.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
CJHeart wrote:
I accidentally screwed up when checking the boxes on the OLWLG and now I can't see to get it to reset. Anyone know how I go back so I can fix everything since I have no idea how I screwed up? It's never happened before.

Thanks!
We will probably have to get JeffyJeff to respond, but have you tried clicking back to step 3 and then going from there to step 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [11] |