Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
(I don't have Word on this PC so can't post a meaningful file ...)

The Name of the Rose

Rules synopsis, based on German rules.

Components

8 playing pieces
- "William of Baskerville" (large brown figure with hood)
- "Adson" (small brown figure without hood)
- 6 Monks (red, blue, white, grey, black, orange)

2x6 markers (1 thin, 1 thick, in each of the 6 colours)
1 time marker (beige cube)
1 game board

Counters:
- 42 small square "Work" tiles (Sundial on reverse)
- 5x6 medium square colour marker tiles (reverse shows letters A to E)
- 3 large square "Revelation" tiles
- 14 Event tiles

66 Cards:
60 Action cards (rose on reverse):
- 28 Muildings
- 24 Monks
- 8 "William/Adson"
6 identity cards ("Monachus" - Monk - on reverse)
- 1 in each colour (red, blue, white, grey, black, orange) **NOTE THAT PLAYERS MAY BE CONFUSED BETWEEN GREY AND WHITE - I RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOW EVERYONE THE CARDS FACE UP BEFORE PLAYING THE GAME**

Setup
- Put the game board in the middle. The names of the rooms are in Latin.

- Shuffle the 14 Event tiles and put 6 of them face-down on one side of the game board. The other 8 are returned, unseen, to the game box..

- Take the three "Revelation" tiles and lay them out between the Event tiles as follows: E R E E R E E R E (so there is a Revelation tile after the first, third and fifth Event tile)

- Put the 6 thin discs on the 10 space on the blue "Suspicion" track

- Put the 6 thick discs on the 5 space on the Evidence track.

- Put the beige time marker on the blue space (0/24) on the sundial.

- Put all 8 game pieces (including William and Adson) on different buildings on the board (random setup) (Always place all 8, regardless of the number of players)

- Shuffle the 42 Work tiles and put 2 face-up on the spaces on each building. Place the remaining 14 tiles in a line beside the game board.

- Shuffle the 60 Action cards and place them face-down beside the board.

Each player receives:
- 3 Action cards (do not show these to the other players!)

- 1 set of 6 colour markers, each with the same letter on the reverse (leave these face down)

- 1 Identity card (Absolutely definitely do not show this to anyone else!!! OMG NO!) (Unused identity cards are returned to the box without peeking! There will always be at least one!)

The game runs over 7 days. Days 1-6 work as follows:

1. Begin the day - turn over the next Event tile (This tile applies for the entire day)

2. The course of the day - play Action cards until the time stone moves back to the blue (0/24) space on the sundial. Choose a starting player for Round 1, then play proceeds clockwise. On a player's turn, she must:

a) play an action card - choose 1 of the 3 action cards in her hand and play it on a common play pile beside the action cards pile.

b) move the time stone - move it forward as many spaces as indicated by the number on the card. (She can return sundial tiles to reduce the time used by 1 hour per sundial returned - but not to less than 0 time).

c) move one of the 8 monks, depending on the Action card played:
- if she played a MONK card, she must move the monk shown on the card to any building of her choice
- if she played a BUILDING card, she must move any one monk of her choice to the building shown on the card
- if she played a William/Adson card, she must move either William (time 5) or Adson (time 0).
NOTE: Move means move - a monk may never stay on the same space.

d) Carry out an action:
- if she moved a monk to a building where at least one of the work markers shows his colour, he has some work to do (very not suspicious behaviour). She takes a marker in the colour of the monk moved and moves the monk the indicated number of spaces backwards on the blue suspicion track (but never past 0). Then she places the marker in front of her, showing the sundial (see action 2b for how to use these). (If she takes the last shown work marker, she takes 2 new work markers from the line beside the game board and places them on the building)
- if she moved a monk to a building where neither of the work markers matches his colour, he looks a bit suspicious. Add the work markers that are on the building and move the monk's suspicion marker that many spaces forward on the blue suspicion track (but never past 40). The player does not take a work tile.
- if she moved William of Baskerville to a building containing one or more monks, each monk present moves +3 or -3 along the brown Evidence track. The player who moved William chooses which way each individual monk will move.
- if she moved Adson to a building containing one or more monks, each monk present moves +5 or -5 along the blue Suspicion track. The player who moved Adson chooses which way each individual monk will move.
If a player moves William or Adson to a building that does not contain any monks, no-one moves but the player should be excommunicated.

e) draw the top card from the action cards deck & add it to hand.

Players continue to take turns in clockwise order until a player moves the beige time marker onto or past the blue (0/24) space on the Sundial. This player completes his turn before the day ends:

3. End the day - a player takes the day's event tile, convert suspicion points to evidence.
a) Convert suspicion points to evidence points. The more suspiciously a monk has behaved, the more evidence there is against him.

Most suspicious monk > +5 evidence
2nd place > +4 evidence
3rd > +3
4th > +2
5th > +1
6th > +0
If there is a tie, all tied players move forward that many spaces. Do not skip the next number!

(so, e.g., the markers could have to move +5, +4/+4/+4, +3, +2)

b) Reset all suspicion markers (blue track) to 10. (Leave the evidence markers (brown track) where they are)

c) The player who ended the day takes the current Event tile and places it face-down in front of himself. Each of these tiles is worth 2 additional evidence points at the end of the game.

REVELATION - after days 1,3 and 5, there is a Revelation.

Each player secretly selects 1 of their square colour markers that shows a colour that is NOT their identity. When all players have selected a marker, they are revealed (and are left face-up for the rest of the game).

Now move all monks forward 2 spaces on the Evidence track for each revealed colour marker in their colour.

... and start the next day ...

On the seventh day, there is only a Suspicion round.

a) Each player chooses which colour they think each other player is.

First, replace the Revealed colours in front of you with work tiles in the appropriate colour (this is just to show which colours you absodefinitelutely are not).

Next, put a marker in front of each other player (coloured side down) showing the colour that you think is on their Identity card.

b) When all players have placed their markers, the markers and the Identity cards are revealed. For each marker that MATCHES the identity card, the marker of that colour must move along the Evidence track:

in a 2-player game > 12 spaces
3-players > 6 spaces
4 players > 4 spaces
5 players > 3 spaces

c) Move the marker in your Identity colour 2 spaces along the Evidence track for each Event tile in front of you.

d) Reveal the unused cards in the box and remove the markers in those colours.

e) The player who there is the LEAST evidence against (ie whose coloured marker is on the lowest-numbered space on the Evidence track) is the winner. If there is a tie, the tied player with the most Event tiles wins. If there is still a tie, there is more than one winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit lazy here and paraphrased the rules rather than doing a direct translation. I did include a couple of comments through the text as well, because we felt they were important when playing the game.

If there is something that is unclear, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Clans or Heimlich & Co.? Does it feel like either of those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Have you played Clans or Heimlich & Co.? Does it feel like either of those?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: I played a game of Clans on BSW. Not sure I was 100% across the rules. I didn't enjoy it very much.

After we played der Name der Rose, we discussed a game that we'd played recently (and which neither of us could remember) that had had a vaguely similar feeling.

Gazing at the game shelves, we saw Drunter und Drueber - and then flicked through my games played notebook to see Metropolys - both of these have that idea that players are concealing something that the other players need to deduce. That's a very superficial similarity, though.

Der Name der Rose is definitely not a heavy game. I think Ravensburger are pretty spot on with their 10+ age on the box. (technically 10-99 but who am I to stop a 102 year old playing it). It's a fun game and a fairly quick game, but it's not going to be challenging Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for the translation.

In section 3.b., the example given of

"(so, e.g., the markers could have to move +5, +4/+4/+4, +3)"

could be misleading. It only gives 5 numbers, not 6. This could lead to a reader concluding, for example, that the least suspicious monk is always moved +0 spaces. I suggest the following replacement:

"(so, e.g., the markers could have to move +5, +4/+4/+4, +3, +2)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent point. Apparently I can't count

Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction: "The player who there is the LEAST evidence against (ie whose coloured marker is on the lowest-numbered space on the Evidence track) is the winner. If there is a tie, the tied player with the most Event tiles wins. If there is still a tie, there is more than one winner" IT SHOULD READ THAT THE WINNER IN A TIE HAS THE FEWEST NOT MOST EVENT TILES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Melissa! You're awesome.

One question, do work markers get recycled? I assume yes.

P.S. ..and if you ever have too much time on your hands, a synoptic summary like this for "Der Schwarm" would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
candoo wrote:
Thanks, Melissa! You're awesome.

One question, do work markers get recycled? I assume yes.

P.S. ..and if you ever have too much time on your hands, a synoptic summary like this for "Der Schwarm" would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have Der Schwarm, sorry.

I have Palais Royale and there seems to be demand for that.

Edit: missed the question about work markers.

When a player pays sundials (turned over work markers), they are put at the end of the line (remember the 14 leftover ones?). As you refill spaces, you take work markers from the front of the line. So it is possible as the game goes on that you might end up recycling them, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletodoc wrote:
Correction: "The player who there is the LEAST evidence against (ie whose coloured marker is on the lowest-numbered space on the Evidence track) is the winner. If there is a tie, the tied player with the most Event tiles wins. If there is still a tie, there is more than one winner" IT SHOULD READ THAT THE WINNER IN A TIE HAS THE FEWEST NOT MOST EVENT TILES.

bzzt.

Quote:
Bei Gleichstand gewinnt von diesen Spielern derjenige, der mehr Ereigniskaertchen nehmen musste. Ist auch diese Anzahl gleich, gibt es mehrere Gewinner.

Literally: "If there is a tie, the tied player who took the most Event tiles wins. If this number is also equal, there are several winners."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an unofficial copy of the English rules that say the player with the least tiles wins in a tie. This makes sense as the player with more tiles loses 2 spots on the clue track for each tile he owns. We need an official ruling from the developer and Ravensburger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletodoc wrote:
I have an unofficial copy of the English rules that say the player with the least tiles wins in a tie. This makes sense as the player with more tiles loses 2 spots on the clue track for each tile he owns. We need an official ruling from the developer and Ravensburger.

Then either

(a) the German rules are wrong and your unofficial English rules are correct;

(b) the German rules are correct and your unofficial English rules are wrong;

(c) I have mis-translated the same passage in the same way three times, despite checking it.

EDIT: or (d) the rules are intentionally different for the two versions

I am confident that my translation is correct, which eliminates (c). I'm pretty confident that (a) and (d) are also unlikely..

In case you need more convincing, Babelfish agrees with me (although it may be hard to tell from the text)

Quote:
With equation and that from these players, which had to take more event small cards, wins. Even if this number is alike, there are several winners.

So I guess the question is, how unofficial are your unofficial English rules? Are they someone else's translation, or are they a preview of the official Ravensburger rules? If the latter, you might want to suggest that Ravensburger check them carefully..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, ZOMGMelissa!

It does sound vaguely like Heimlich & Co. Now that I have rules, I can play and find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Pomohaci
Romania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the translation.

I have a question about the event cards. I know that the player that ends the day get the event card for that day. When do they get played? Before or after the day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epomuletz wrote:
Thanks for the translation.

I have a question about the event cards. I know that the player that ends the day get the event card for that day. When do they get played? Before or after the day?

Sorry for the delay in answering - I have been away.

The event card is turned over at the start of the day and applies for that entire day.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
So I guess the question is, how unofficial are your unofficial English rules? Are they someone else's translation, or are they a preview of the official Ravensburger rules? If the latter, you might want to suggest that Ravensburger check them carefully..

I did the official rules and have verified that this is, in fact, an error. blush

The tiebreak is as stated in the German rules - that is, the player with the MOST Event Tiles is the winner.

Sorry to all for the confusion.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Having done a translation of this for our customers, there's a small clarification worth making:

If a player plays a Monk card ... He moves the MONK pictured into another building.

If a player plays a building card ... He moves ANY FIGURE into that building.

In other words, you can use a building card to move William or Adson as well as the 6 Monks

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls