Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking Basl's fantastic list of worldwide gameshops, I've yet to find one in Gainesville, Florida. Are there no gamers in the Gator Nation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Gator Nation gamers outside of the nation. I'm not from the Gainesville area, so I couldn't help you out, but good luck finding a shop there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't know if it's still around, but there was a junk shop called Uncle Ray's in Gainesville. He had all kinds of things in there. Old playboys, kinds of comics, old campaign buttons, shelves piled high with all sorts of stuff. It was crazy. If it's still around, it's worth a stop. It's a great chance to find something that's beyond retail. I bought a few board games there.

Edit: when I lived near there 14 years ago, all the games shops were comic shops first. I can't remember a single board game only store back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is one comic book/game shop in gainesville that i know of. it is near oaks mall.

in a plaza next to oaks mall there is a toys r us. connected to the toys r us are a bunch of other shops, including a comic book/game shop.

mostly they have comic books, and magic: the gathering, but i remember there was a selection of board games there.

if you are looking for a gaming group, then i have no idea.

go gators!

edit: aha!
mega comics and games
6765 W Newberry Rd
Gainesville, FL 32605
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Mega Comics & Games was great, but unfortunately they closed about one month ago.

There's a relatively new game store called Vorpal games:
http://forums.gvillegaming.org/index.php?topic=5.0

Also one of the local text book stores, Florida Bookstore, sells boardgames as well (only at their volume II branch):
http://www.flbookstore.com/

There's also a Hobbytown that has a few boardgames, it's on Archer Road. But I prefer to support the independent shops.

Finally, at Oaks mall there's a seasonal kiosk that opens every Oct or Nov until January - Go! The Game Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I'll forward that to my family in Alachua.
The UF v. Vandy game just started so I'll just say thanks and have a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callie williams
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Since this comes up in current Google searches, I'll chime in and say there are 3 game stores in Gainesville. The best one is Gamesville Tabletop in the same plaza as Leonardo's Pizza. They don't have everything yet but they are certainly the friendliest.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Shame that Mega Comics & Games closed. They were great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
espoon82 wrote:

Yeah they closed in 2008 but then they kinda opened up again in a new location a couple years later as "Mega Gaming and Comics". But the service kinda sucked. I actually left Gville in 2013 but looks like the new one is still open, at least their website is still up:
http://megagamingandcomics.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
espoon82 wrote:

Yeah they closed in 2008 but then they kinda opened up again in a new location a couple years later as "Mega Gaming and Comics". But the service kinda sucked. I actually left Gville in 2013 but looks like the new one is still open, at least their website is still up:
http://megagamingandcomics.com/

I've always thought their service was always bad. Mega Games and Comics is one of the original owners of Mega Comics and Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Casteel
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I've always thought their service was always bad. Mega Games and Comics is one of the original owners of Mega Comics and Games.

Is that the case? I thought the twins owned the old mega, Sharif owns the new one and I've talked to him about their bad customer service rep and he has been taking numerous steps to improve it. Personally, I deal with Sharif mostly and I find him overly hospitable. He's usually there Friday nights and Saturday and Sundays. I'd definitely give them another chance if you haven't lately.

I like Gamesville Tabletop and I definitely feel they deserve support as well. Either way, we currently have two pretty great stores in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
DangerousFat wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Is that the case? I thought the twins owned the old mega, Sharif owns the new one and I've talked to him about their bad customer service rep and he has been taking numerous steps to improve it. Personally, I deal with Sharif mostly and I find him overly hospitable. He's usually there Friday nights and Saturday and Sundays. I'd definitely give them another chance if you haven't lately.

I like Gamesville Tabletop and I definitely feel they deserve support as well. Either way, we currently have two pretty great stores in town.

Sheriff was a partner of the twins when they were on University Ave. I think by the time they moved to what is now Regal on Newberry that he had left. But, I had a lot of problems with him personally at the location next to the Alligator.

And even then, there's been a lot of issues with him at the 'new' store with me and friends. (I tried to give him the benifit of the doubt when he reopened.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls