GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,096 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #166 - jeffinberlin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I present to you, Geek of the Week #166!

Quote:
Hi, I’m Jeffrey D. Allers (but please call me "Jeff"). I grew up in the middle of the corn fields of Iowa, but always dreamed of living in the Old World someday. My uncle was an architect in London for a time, and my parents would show my younger sister and I the slides from the time we all visited him and then backpacked across Europe (I was only 3-1/2 and still can’t believe the endurance my parents must have had). I finally had the opportunity to go overseas in high school with my Western Civilizations teacher. Glasnost had begun, and we spent time in Moscow and St. Petersburg (then called “Leningrad”). I realized then that it wasn’t only the pretty pictures of Europe that I liked—I found that I truly had a love for the people of other cultures and was interested in learning about the differences that separated us and the similarities that bound us.

I studied Architecture in college, mainly because of its interdisciplinary nature. While I was finishing up my studies, the Berlin Wall came down, and I knew that was where I wanted to work. Two weeks after graduation, I packed by bags, moved to a Berlin youth hostel and went door to door with my portfolio until I found a job. After working as an architect there for 3 years, I switched careers to work with a U.S.-German church partnership, and served as a youth pastor in inner-city East Berlin.

During that time, German friends of ours introduced us to some of the board games available here, and I was hooked. Then I was invited to join a gaming group filled with published designers, and I was hooked on designing games too.

I also enjoyed reading Rick Thornquist’s Gamewire and decided to try writing a guest blog for the site. I actually minored in Journalism and Mass Communications in college and founded a student journal of architecture there that continues to this day, so I was eager to write again. Then I found out that Rick was starting Boardgamenews, and I was thrilled when he gave me the opportunity to enter submissions on a regular basis. There are already enough good reviewers and news writers, however, so I decided to try to find a niche by describing my somewhat unique position as an American gamer living in the middle of German board game culture. I owe inspiration to the funny yet poignant observations of writer and fellow Iowan-turned-European Bill Bryson.

Two truths and a lie:

I had my own new wave band in high school, and often sang in a British accent.

I met my wife in the Berlin techno club “E-Werk,” raving together until the sun came up.

The "D." in my name stands for "Dale."

Enjoy your week as GotW!

I'll start with a question or two:

Do you think you'll ever live in the US again?
What is your favorite Bryson book?
Of the games that you really don't care for--which is the one you recommend to others the most (because you realize that *they* would like it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

The "D." in my name stands for "Dale."

Congratulations!
And I knew there was a reason I liked you
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jeff,

Congrats!

What was the very first German board game you played and were you hooked right then?

It looks like you prefer lighter games based on your top 10. What's your favorite "heavy" game?

While living in Europe, have you ever randomly run across anyone else from Iowa?

-----

I'll say the second one is the lie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

Board games and architecture go together well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Congratulations! Since I am too lazy to look up your profile page (where's the link???) and I am running late today, I'll just post my generic questions for now and get to some specific ones later!

d10-1 You crack open a new game. What smell do you enjoy more: the release agent of the plastic bits or the new cardboard smell?

d10-2 Say something nice about your lowest ranked game. Say something not so nice about your highest ranked game.

d10-3 What is the one feature you wish BGG would implement?

d10-4 What do you feel is your greatest contribution to the Geek (e.g., GeekList, file, article, etc.)? What moment on the Geek would you like to do over (e.g. embarrassing post, flame war, etc.)?

d10-5 What are the 10 links you have on Page 1 of your QuickBar?

d10-6 What is your favorite game based on a book (preferably a fictional book)? What is your favorite game based on actual real life events?

d10-7 What is your approach to evangelize would be gamers? What is your standard recommendation for a gateway game?

d10-8 If you ever became tired of gaming, what would be your next hobby that consumes your time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Ever visit Denmark?

For those of you who might be challenged in the geography department, Denmark is one of Germany´s many neighbours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation man! You seem so interested in other cultures - did you ever consider anthropology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Congratulations!

Ever visit Denmark?

For those of you who might be challenged in the geography department, Denmark is one of Germany´s many neighbours...

Hmm, never heard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
jtspecial wrote:
Congratulations!

Ever visit Denmark?

Hmm, never heard of it.

You should. It's the only country besides the USA and Israel considered to be worthy enough by some people in the Middle East to burn it's flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jeff. Your parents' love of adventure obviously rubbed off on you.

My questions begin with the best interview Qs ever, from Bernard Pivot, the French intellectual:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

11. Who's your favourite architect?
12. What are your top 5 buildings in Berlin? In the world?
13. Which designer is your favourite to play games with?
14. Whose designs are your favourite, from the designers you've played with?
15. What's it like contributing to BGNews? I'm curious both about the process, and the experience.
16. I was also in Leningrad at the time: tell us your "palpable Glasnost" story.

I bet the raving aspect of the meeting-your-wife story is untrue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

Jeff,

Congrats!

What was the very first German board game you played and were you hooked right then?

It looks like you prefer lighter games based on your top 10. What's your favorite "heavy" game?

While living in Europe, have you ever randomly run across anyone else from Iowa?

-----

I'll say the second one is the lie

Thanks, I feel honored to be here.

Carcassonne was the first, and I was hooked right away.

I only recently filled in the "Top 10" and "Hot 10" lists on my profile, but I honestly like to play anything, although I usually only like to invest a maximum of 2 hours in a single game. My "serious gamers" group always likes to try out the new stuff, so I end up playing everything one time. And since 4 of us are designers, we play more prototypes than published games these days. The other groups I organize are a mix of serious and casual gamers, so my "Top 10" and "Hot 10" reflects the kinds of games I get to play repeatedly with them. As far as a favorite heavy game, I like Puerto Rico, Caylus (especially Magna Carta), Power Grid, War of the Ring, Tigris & Euphrates, Keythedral, El Grande, Giganten, New England, Saint Petersberg, Tadsch Mahal, Tikal and probably many more that I can't think of right now. I just like variety and don't have a "favorite game."

And yes, I bump into tourists all the time. Back when I was working at an architecture firm in the middle of the city, I met some tourists, and one happened to be a fellow Iowa State grad. It really is a small world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Congratulations! Since I am too lazy to look up your profile page (where's the link???) and I am running late today, I'll just post my generic questions for now and get to some specific ones later!

d10-1 You crack open a new game. What smell do you enjoy more: the release agent of the plastic bits or the new cardboard smell?

d10-2 Say something nice about your lowest ranked game. Say something not so nice about your highest ranked game.

d10-3 What is the one feature you wish BGG would implement?

d10-4 What do you feel is your greatest contribution to the Geek (e.g., GeekList, file, article, etc.)? What moment on the Geek would you like to do over (e.g. embarrassing post, flame war, etc.)?

d10-5 What are the 10 links you have on Page 1 of your QuickBar?

d10-6 What is your favorite game based on a book (preferably a fictional book)? What is your favorite game based on actual real life events?

d10-7 What is your approach to evangelize would be gamers? What is your standard recommendation for a gateway game?

d10-8 If you ever became tired of gaming, what would be your next hobby that consumes your time?

1. I'm an old-school Euro-gamer--no plastic, please!
2. I've never ranked a game.
3. I'm satisfied with the way it is.
4. To be honest, I haven't contributed that much to this site until recently, when I felt I could actually add something that no one else could--namely more information about my published games! And I want to be available to anyone who buys and plays my games, because it is important for me that they have the best experience possible and I value feedback, positive or negative.
5. Quickbar? Um, well, my blog has links to Boardgamegeek, Boardgamenews, the Spielwiese (our cafe), sites and blogs for fellow Berlin game designers and other designers, and the Game Design Journal and Game Designer's Forum.
6. Probaly War of the Ring, because it captures the feel of the books so well. I haven't played any historical simulations, although I do have Twilight Struggle and want to play it someday.
7. Design a game and get it published. Then everyone wants to play "your game", and when they're hooked, you introduce them to the games that inspired you.
8. I love the arts (especially painting, poetry, film, photography) and would probably focus soley on those. Of course, my twin sons will determine more of what I will do in my free time in the future (I might, for example, come out of retirement to coach them in basketball...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Congratulations!

Ever visit Denmark?

Denmark is one of those places my wife and I have wanted to visit for awhile. In fact, my gaming group used to meet in a Danish cafe, and the owner had a vacation home we could have rented. Alas, we usually went south on our previous vacations, but now that we will be staying closer to home for awhile, Denmark is at the top of our list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Jeff! Rather large squishies are on the way from Australia.

Okay questions:

Have you ever visited Australia?

Do you like peanut butter? Smooth or crunchy?

Favourite Bill Bryson book? (Mine is The Lost Continent)

Well done again! May you enjoy your week in the sun.

xxx
Shebby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:
Congratulation man! You seem so interested in other cultures - did you ever consider anthropology?

I enjoy studying just about everything, and could easily become a professional student if I had the means. Architecture was a nice fit for me because I could study so many different things within the structure of that curriculum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parsons
United Kingdom
Liverpool Street Station
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A nice easy question for my favourite BGN columnist. How has living in the Old World changed your perspective of it, and has it and changed how you view America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Geek of the Week, Jeff!

Why should people read your game design blog?

Yes yes, that was a Dorothy Dixer to let you pimp it.

My ten year old is very very keen to visit Berlin next year. Apart from the Spielwiese and the Berlin Wall, where should I take her and why? And does that change when her five year old sister is with us?

(You don't actually have to plan an entire week's stay for me ... just a couple of sights would be fine ... unless you really want to )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
Samort7 wrote:

I enjoy studying just about everything, and could easily become a professional student if I had the means. Architecture was a nice fit for me because I could study so many different things within the structure of that curriculum.

1) Are there any architecture themed games that you like? My favorite might be New York Architecture Game by Prestel.

2) You've mentioned that you're a pure Euro-gamer (something about no plastic bits). So have you played Age of Empires III - and if so, did the plastic bits bother you?

3) What is your opinion of currywurst? Do you believe in the urban legend that some lady simply dropped her groceries and discovered the wonderful combination of ketchup and curry powder?

4) While traveling, it seems that every other stand offers wursts and french fries. Do "regular" folks eat that stuff all the time, or is my view of German cuisine slanted because I spend so much time around conventions and train stations?

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shebby wrote:
Well done Jeff! Rather large squishies are on the way from Australia.

Okay questions:

Have you ever visited Australia?

Do you like peanut butter? Smooth or crunchy?

Favourite Bill Bryson book? (Mine is The Lost Continent)

Well done again! May you enjoy your week in the sun.

xxx
Shebby

Yes, the Lost Continent is mine so far, especially since I come from a small Iowa town. I just realized when I looked at his profile that we were both born on December 8!

I love smooth peanut butter, especially when layered on toast together with Nutella!

I have unfortunately never been to Australia, although I have made friends with several Aussies (and many Kiwis) and my wife and I would love to go, should we ever have the time and means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
A nice easy question for my favourite BGN columnist. How has living in the Old World changed your perspective of it, and has it and changed how you view America?

Any time you live for a good amount of time in another culture(and allow yourself to become part of it)it is going to affect the way you veiw the world. For a gaming analogy, we often talk about how we were only exposed to Monopoly and Chutes & Ladders as a child, but when we realized there were so many other games out there that were so much fun, it changed our perspective on the whole activity of playing games together. Of course, every game is still basically the same.

Likewise, I have found that all people are generally the same, with the same basic desires and fears, yet many different ways of fulfilling and expressing them.

And "stepping out" of my home culture has given me the opportunity to be more critical of it, just as we are usually easily more critical of cultures that are foreign to us when we visit them for the first time.

That said, I clearly feel at home in Berlin, but that does not mean I like the German people any more than Americans. Every culture has its own strengths and weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Happy Geek of the Week, Jeff!

Why should people read your game design blog?

Yes yes, that was a Dorothy Dixer to let you pimp it.

My ten year old is very very keen to visit Berlin next year. Apart from the Spielwiese and the Berlin Wall, where should I take her and why? And does that change when her five year old sister is with us?

(You don't actually have to plan an entire week's stay for me ... just a couple of sights would be fine ... unless you really want to )

My blog, "Berlin Game Design" is really just for extended background information about the designs and design processes of our group. Boardgamenews is still my priority in writing articles, but I thought something else might be nice--especially for aspiring designers--to find out a little bit more about how you take a game from the initial idea to a published version. Eric already does a great job of including some of this in his game previews for BGN, but I thought I'd expand on that a bit, without necessarily "shilling" my games on BGN. Besides, this type of writing really doesn't fit in with my "Postcards From Berlin" concept, anyway.

As for your visit to Berlin, I'd be happy to show you all around myself! I can highly recommend the Jewish Museum which is about much more than the Holocaust--namely, the history of the Jewish culture in Berlin. Architect Daniel Liebeskind, however, brilliantly included empty spaces in the building to represent the cultural contributions that never were.

If your daughters like palaces and castles, I can recommend San Souci in beautiful nearby Potsdam. My niece enjoyed imagining which room was Sleeping Beauty's, which was for Belle, which was for Cinderella, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
jeffinberlin wrote:
Samort7 wrote:

1) Are there any architecture themed games that you like? My favorite might be New York Architecture Game by Prestel.

2) You've mentioned that you're a pure Euro-gamer (something about no plastic bits). So have you played Age of Empires III - and if so, did the plastic bits bother you?

3) What is your opinion of currywurst? Do you believe in the urban legend that some lady simply dropped her groceries and discovered the wonderful combination of ketchup and curry powder?

4) While traveling, it seems that every other stand offers wursts and french fries. Do "regular" folks eat that stuff all the time, or is my view of German cuisine slanted because I spend so much time around conventions and train stations?

Dale

1) I enjoy Big City and actually played it with my father, who is also an architect, semi-cooperatively once, trying to achieve the best city-planning.

2) I have never played Age of Empires III although I would probably enjoy it. I would probably have to replace the plastic with wooden meeples and Settlers ships, though. (Update: I have finally had the opportunity to play the game and loved every bit of it, plastic bits and all. Although--just as in War of the Ring--it's necessary to add a little paint to the figures to be able to differentiate them easier).

3) I've never heard that story, but it seems plausable! Berlin is famous for its currywurst, by the way.

4) That's typical fast food, much like our hamburger drive-throughs. Still, sausages are cooked at home and sometimes served with french fries (we grill hamburgers at home, too, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. What is your favourite word?
Grace

2. What is your least favourite word?
Hypocrite

3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
My faith in God and the adventure He takes me on every single day

4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Lack of sleep

5. What sound or noise do you love?
Train stations, aiports and harbor noises

6. What sound or noise do you hate?
Second-hand ipod music (what you hear when someone else has their earphones turned up too loud)

7. What is your favourite curse word?
I don't curse--I just let out a very loud "Aaaaaaargh!"

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
A better question would be, what profession would I NOT like to try!

9. What profession would you not like to do?
OK, that's a better question Medical doctor or surgeon is definitely pretty low on my list. Although it fascinates me how our bodies work, I really don't want to go there (literally)

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
"When I was sick, you comforted me, when I was hungry, you gave me food..." I believe that God's grace is sufficient for everyone who believes it, yet I would want to know that I was faithful in provided for those in need during my time here. "Faith without works is dead," after all.

11. Who's your favourite architect?
Currently, Daniel Liebeskind. I have always liked architecture that could be experienced on many levels, and I believe that context (place and history) is important, unlike the philosphy of the early modernists that a good design would fit anywhere (the New National Galerie in Berlin, for example, was originally designed by Mies van der Rohe as a Cuban cigar office building. The all-glass facades don't work too well for paintings, so those are shown in the basement).

12. What are your top 5 buildings in Berlin? In the world?
I have a difficult time with lists and rankings (see earlier comments), but Liebeskind's Jewish Museum is my favorite in Berlin. I also enjoy Schinkel's neoclassical buildings on Gendarmmarkt, especially at Christmastime when Berlin's classiest Christmas market fills the plaza. Sir Norman Foster's restauration and dome addition to the Reichstag is also stunning and an innovative energy-efficient design, although it was not the design with which he won the competition (that was a canopy over the whole building instead of a dome!)

13. Which designer is your favourite to play games with?
I've known Bernd Eisenstein for quite awhile now, and I always enjoy playing games with him, especially his prototypes, which are all much heavier than his recently published Zack & Pack.

14. Whose designs are your favourite, from the designers you've played with?
Again, it's hard to have a favorite, and I've played some really good ones that have not yet found a publisher. "Hey, That's My Fish" and "Down Under" by Guenter Cornett are a couple of the most accessible ones that have been deep but easy to teach to others. I have enjoyed "King of Siam" by Peer Sylvester, Bernd's "Maya", Thorsten Gimmler's "Geschenkt!" and Andrea Meyer's "Hossa!" We're starting to do more co-designs too, now that we know each other better.

15. What's it like contributing to BGNews? I'm curious both about the process, and the experience.
I keep a running list of topics I could write about--some are more game-related, others more culturally related--and choose one each month. Then I try to interweave gaming with culture or vice versa (a bit like the dance of theme and mechanics in game design). When I'm satisfied with my draft, I send the article to Eric for proofreading and sometimes he will suggest slight changes. After it's posted, I thoroughly enjoy reading the feedback I receive from readers.

16. I was also in Leningrad at the time: tell us your "palpable Glasnost" story.
As I wrote last January in one of my Postcards From Berlin, I enjoyed the time meeting with ordinary Russians and finding common ground, even with those who could not speak English with me. There was also a cautiousness, though, as they had grown to fear our side of the world as much as we feared them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Jeff!

So here are my questions:

1. If you could magically transfer *anything* from the US to Germany: what would it be? (could be anything: a person, a game, a law, the last US president, the next US president, a certain product, any aspect of life ...)

2. And just the other way around: Some day you'll probably return to the US. What would you take with you from Germany (other than meeples and other things which are easy to transport).

3. Hast du auch schon mal ein Spiel in Deutsch erklärt (oder erklärt bekommen) und wenn ja: welches?

Kind regards,
Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.