Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gruescher wrote:
1. If you could magically transfer *anything* from the US to Germany: what would it be? (could be anything: a person, a game, a law, the last US president, the next US president, a certain product, any aspect of life ...)

Hmmm. It's most difficult for my wife and I to be so far away from our families, so it would be nice if we could "beam" them over from time to time. And I miss my road bike, but it's too expensive to transport over here.

gruescher wrote:
2. And just the other way around: Some day you'll probably return to the US. What would you take with you from Germany (other than meeples and other things which are easy to transport).

I hope to live a long time here, although we may retire back in the mountains of North Carolina, since that is what my wife dreams of. Besides my games, my wife will be taking the antique furniture pieces and Polish pottery she has collected.

gruescher wrote:
3. Hast du auch schon mal ein Spiel in Deutsch erklärt (oder erklärt bekommen) und wenn ja: welches?

Ja, klar--schon seit 6 Jahre! Wir sprechen normaleweise nur Deutsch in unserer Spielgruppe. Aber ich mache naturlich mehrere Grammatikfehler...naja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I've read that one of my "responsibilities" is to display the GotW microbadge, but I can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone help? Wouldn't want to be irresponsible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
By the way, I've read that one of my "responsibilities" is to display the GotW microbadge, but I can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone help? Wouldn't want to be irresponsible

Go to the top bar and mouse over "My Geek". The area below will change to show you the menu choices there. Choose "profile".

Your profile will come up... In the left hand side, you'll see your smiling mug (since that's your avatar). Underneath that, choose "Edit Microbadges"

Click on the center spot (since that's where the GotW is supposed to be) and install the GotW badge. Presto.

Dale
(who earns his keep as admin for today)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:

Click on the center spot (since that's where the GotW is supposed to be) and install the GotW badge. Presto.

Thanks, Dale. Only one problem--I don't see the GotW badge when I click the center spot (only the one micro badge I have and an empty box, which does nothing when I select it).

Any suggestions? It doesn't really matter to me, badge or no badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:

Thanks, Dale. Only one problem--I don't see the GotW badge when I click the center spot (only the one micro badge I have and an empty box, which does nothing when I select it).

Any suggestions? It doesn't really matter to me, badge or no badge.

Ah...
Try it again now. You should have your GotW badge in your profile to choose!
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sanjay das
India
flag msg tools
did you like the track???
[MP3]http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,2718980...|[/MP3]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jeff!

My questions:
Why did you change jobs? Do you ever miss working as an architect?
Have you ever considered designing a time travel boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops, I was so overwhelmed by the volume of questions on the first day, I passed over yours, Valerie!

statonv wrote:

Do you think you'll ever live in the US again?

I honestly don't know. Berlin has really become home to me, as I've lived in 6 very different districts in the city and worked in as many. I find the history and mixture of people fascinating and invigorating, as I enjoy variety in everything, not only in the games I play!

I think if I did live in the US again soon, my preference would be somewhere multi-cultural with some sort of city life (I go crazy in the 'burbs). A university town might be nice, as my wife and I would gladly open our home to foreign students who don't have family nearby.

statonv wrote:

What is your favorite Bryson book?)

"The Lost Continent" although I have not read very many of his books (would like to read more, though!)

statonv wrote:

Of the games that you really don't care for--which is the one you recommend to others the most (because you realize that *they* would like it)?

I enjoy most games that have some decisions to them, ranging from Diamant (Incan Gold) to Caylus in complexity level. Games I had to play in the last several years that I really did not care for were "Phase 10" and "Triominos" and it would be difficult for me to recommend them to anyone, since I know plenty of lighter games that are much better IMO that I'm sure they would like as well. But I played those other games because they agreed to try some of my games, so I thought it was worth the trade-off. Better to play one fun game and one not-so-fun game than no games at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:

Why did you change jobs? Do you ever miss working as an architect?

That's a long story. The short version is that, while I was an architect in Berlin, I became a Christian and attended a German church. They asked me if I would help with their youth ministry. Soon after, the youth pastor asked if I'd like to come to a rough part of Berlin (Marzahn) and help a group out with their youth work. My heart drifted in that direction, and after some time, I felt that I wanted to do it full-time.

I miss working as an architect some times, but game design makes up for that

Peerchen wrote:

Is this a hint that I need to get moving on my part of our project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:

Peerchen wrote:

Ooh... a time-travel game? Doctor Who of Siam?

Details please!

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adelson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I see the otherness of being other is otherwise contraindicated
badge
Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me
mbmb
Congratulations on your week. If you could ride your bike over the rotting corpse of only one of the following, whom would you choose?

1) Bernard Pivot
2) Schopenhauer
3) Wallace the Waffle Whiffer
4) Mike Wallace

Please express your answer as a differential equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:

Peerchen wrote:

I know you have a lot to do in the moment. Its just such a cool project, that I cant wait to get going...

Oh Dale, we are not allowed to talk about Game X cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:

Oh Dale, we are not allowed to talk about Game X cool

Hmm, I thought "Game X" has already been used? Come up with your own top secret moniker!

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Congratulations on your week. If you could ride your bike over the rotting corpse of only one of the following, whom would you choose?

1) Bernard Pivot
2) Schopenhauer
3) Wallace the Waffle Whiffer
4) Mike Wallace

Please express your answer as a differential equation.

Although I take care to avoid riding over anything, the acceleration of my bicycle at any given moment is dependent on how many currywurst stands I might pass, given that the little bicycle traffic lights in Berlin are a constant green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:

Hmm, I thought "Game X" has already been used? Come up with your own top secret moniker!

Dale

Now now...let's stop this right here. No need to start hyping games that have not even been designed yet shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GotW! I do believe you are the first GotW named Jeff.
I'll guess #2 is the lie.

Do you ever have occasion to use boardgames in your ministry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Congrats on GotW! I do believe you are the first GotW named Jeff.

Really? Hopefully not the last

jeffwolfe wrote:

Do you ever have occasion to use boardgames in your ministry?

Ministry is really serving people, and fellowship should always be a big part of the church. Since I am known as the "Spielmeister", I'm often called upon to lead game nights or bring games to get-togethers.
Even before I discoverd German board games, however, I was a game designer, inventing outdoor large-group games for camps.

With the youth in Marzahn, playing sports and games was a way of encouraging them and having fun together. I played and coached basketball in the club system here many years, but games are a great way to reach out to the less athletic types. A youth game group in my neighborhood started up when I found out that several of my neighbors were fans of Lord of the Rings and played computer strategy games, so we played War of the Ring together for awhile until I started introducing them to other games. There are several people in my new neighborhood who are also fans of the books/films, so I think I will pull out WotR again sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan B
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations,

After spending such a long time in Germany, what are your suggestions for a weekend trip out of Berlin?

And, more importantly - do you play Skat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tych wrote:

After spending such a long time in Germany, what are your suggestions for a weekend trip out of Berlin?

Prague is only a 5-hour train ride away, and one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. It used to be one of the least expensive, too, but that has changed. Still, its well-preserved medieval spires and Art Nouveau architecture is as charming as ever.

Only two hours drive in that same direction is the beautiful baroque city of Dresden, and south of that there are many pretty towns along the Elbe river, which cuts through the tree-covered mountains and reminds us very much of the Blue Ridge range back home (where my wife is from).

Tych wrote:

And, more importantly - do you play Skat?

Being a gamer, I made it a goal to learn Skat, and have played it a couple of times, although that makes me far from an expert.
I actually wish I could design a different deck of cards so that the rankings and rules would be clearer to the beginner, since they differ from many of the standard card games I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
United Kingdom
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Jeff,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak (let's face it, that's the name we know and love) Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, I'm not good at choosing "favorites", but here are some known games I would want to play right now:

1 player = solo variant for Feurio! is actually quite good
2 player = War of the Ring or Perry Rhodan
3 player = Packeis am Pol (Hey, That's My Fish!) or Ticket to Ride Switzerland
4 player = Domaine or San Juan
5 player = Razzia! or Puerto Rico
6 player = Vinci or Union Pacific or Ave Caesar
7 or more players = Ohne Furcht und Adel or Finstere Flure

Space ships = Galaxy Trucker
Witches = Wie Verhext
Trains = Ticket to Ride
Transport (may include trains) = Eurorails
Workers (paid or otherwise)= Stone Age
Trading = Bohnanza
Building = Big City
Pink = Aber bitte mit Sahne
Theme = War of the Ring
Ships = Piratenbucht
Money = Money
Government = Twilight Struggle
Vampires = Dawn Under (never played, however)
Dice = Heck Meck
Dinosaurs = Evo
Gemstones = Diamant

Karlsen wrote:

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

I've focused mainly on my designs this year, but I'm very happy with the finished results of the first two. I finally played the published versions and can honestly say that they turned out even better than when I sent them in to the publishers. I'm more excited about my future releases (which is all I have time for now), as they will get progressively heavier/meatier.

Karlsen wrote:

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Aber bitte mit Sahne, Circus Maximus, Zack und Pack, Hey, That's My Fish!, Unpublished Prototype, Unpublished Prototype. See what I mean?

I get depressed reading the good buzz on all the new releases, without having the time to try them all out myself, but I also know that designing is what I'd rather be doing, given my limited free time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to pass the Starting Player Marker to the next player in Uhrzeigersinn, move the pawn on the time track another space forward, take back all of your worker meeples and place back in your reserve...

...you get the picture: time to end this week so that the next Great Dalmuti can take his seat.

First, for those of you playing at home:

Quote:

Two truths and a lie:

I had my own new wave band in high school, and often sang in a British accent.

I met my wife in the Berlin techno club “E-Werk,” raving together until the sun came up.

The "D." in my name stands for "Dale."

You all guessed it: the second is a lie (shows my ineptitude at bluffing games). Although I did actually dance the night away a few times in the E-Werk in my younger years, the droning electronica was far too loud to encourage conversation, let alone life-long companionship. I must admit, though--it was a great work-out. My wife, though, prefers Tango and Beach Music.

Thanks for a great week, Valerie. I'm looking forward to meeting you someday.

And thanks to everyone who was interested in this post, and in my games and articles. Please feel free to write anytime, I'll be hangin' around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.