Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Wyoming [+] [View All]
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone...anything out in wyoming? I might be moving out there for a job near Gillette...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh-oh! Standby for incoming rounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Wyoming Tourist site. You can hike, backpack, fly-fish. Try wildlife photography or birdwatching. Head out on your own or with equipment and guides ready to serve you. Go rock climbing, kayaking, snowboarding, parasailing, hang gliding, windsurfing, jet skiing or spelunking – just a few of the outdoor activities to enjoy in Wyoming.

Oh yeah Wyoming also has the college football team that just beat the University of Tennessee!

Other than that....well.... no there is nothing else in Wyoming shakedevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Wyoming is Gillette located? Maybe you should start doing user searches now:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/findgamers.php?action=findclose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the outdoors stuff, and am really looking forward to all that...

looks like there aren't many geeks in wyoming or surrounding areas..oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheridan, WY is your best bet for finding gamers. I used to travel down there from Billings, MT once per month to run games there at the public library and at the local gaming store. Players from Gillette would often travel over to Sheridan to play. Although many of the gamers have moved away, some are still living in the Sheridan area.

Here's the contact information for the gaming store, although I'm unsure if everything's current:

Sports Alley
709 N Main St
Sheridan, WY 82801-3634
(307) 674-9886

There used to be a gaming store in Gillette a number of years ago, but I believe they went out of business...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny... I grew up in Gillette. Unfortunately, I don't live there now. My parents still live in town... but as for gaming.. I wasn't aware of anything, but I wasn't much of a gamer at that time so didn't really look for any groups. I'm sure there is a few... Heck start up a group! The town is growing tremendously.

My Dad knows how to play Carc, Bonanza, and Thurn & Taxis.. He's not much of a 'gamer', more of a retired electrician who loves horses. He plays games when he is around me anyway.. He enjoys them and is pretty competitive!

Good luck on your move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it looks like the job in Gillette is a definite! hopefully i'll be able to get my monthly gaming fix in sheridan or start a group out there. thanks for all who responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ahh welcome to the Big Empty!

I'm a born and raised Wyoming geek! We do exist, but we are working on getting listed as an endangered species. The sad part of this post is that I just left my homeland for Seattle. The good news is that there is a thriving geek community in The Square State, you just have to look a little harder. Laramie is your best bet. I just graduated from UW and I can get you connected with all of the local geeks in Laramie. If you will PM me I'll send you the contacts. Alas Gillette is over a hundred miles from Laramie, but fear not! After a few years of calling the place home this doesn't feel like that much. Anyway the geeks that I know, know geeks in wheatland and such. Perhaps we can set you up with somebody.

Welcome home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyoming?... Why not oming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Wyoming! Which btw is a RECTANGULAR state, not a square one
I am in Casper, my favorite place in the world (and I've been around the world twice, to 35 countries, 36 states, and lived in 9 of them).

Wyoming has the lowest taxes and lowest unemployment rate in the U.S.
Wyoming has Yellowstone, the Tetons, and Devils Tower.

OTOH, game geeks are more rare here than jackalopes. I raised a family full of boardgamers, but alas, they are living somewhere else (look up CaptainQwyx and Speedracer513). I get most of my gaming in when I visit the grandchildren in Texas. I just signed up with BGG myself.

Casper is about 2-1/2 hours south of Gillette. I suggest you visit here sometime, and stop in at The Ogre's Den on South Poplar St. the only FLGS. Shawn runs board game days every other month or so (they mostly do tabletop wargames). Check out http://www.ogrehobbies.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool, thanks for the hello..

we almost had to land in casper this last trip out to gillette...we were worried we'd have to rent a car just to get to gillette
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When did Dave's Darts & Parts go out of business in Casper, WY? I used to make the six-hour drive from Billings to run some Star Wars CCG tournaments there from time to time, back in the day. Nice place!

Game geeks aren't so rare in Wyoming! They gather in small clusters scattered around the state, which makes them difficult to find. Laramie might be the most stable gaming environment with the university, though. Thats where many of the Sheridan and Cody/Powell gamers migrated to.

Wyoming is very popular amongst French-speaking males, when they hear of the Grand Tetons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave's is still in business (but it's listed as "Dave's Darts and Billiards") -- I haven't been in there in a couple of years, but when I did, all he had was dartboards and supplies, pool tables, and some nice themed collectors chess sets. I didn't see any board games. I'll go check it out again...

When I drive to Billings, it only takes four hours, not the six you quoted, and that is at the speed limit (well, 79-1/2 mph anyway). Of course, that elapsed time doesn't include a required stop at the Bozeman Trail Steakhouse in Buffalo.

Is there a good FLGS in Billings I can check out? I'm driving up there this Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daves Darts & Parts was more into card games than board games, but this was back in 1999-2002.

You're right! Billings to Sheridan is two hours, and Sheridan to Casper is two hours! I tend to lose track of time while traveling through Wyoming. There's a rip in the space/time continuum somewhere between Sheridan and Casper, which puts me into a coma.

Here's the best FLGS in Billings:

The Splash Page
2545 Central Avenue, Suite C
Billings, MT 59102
http://www.splashpagemontana.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcanderson71 wrote:
Dave's is still in business (but it's listed as "Dave's Darts and Billiards") -- I haven't been in there in a couple of years, but when I did, all he had was dartboards and supplies, pool tables, and some nice themed collectors chess sets. I didn't see any board games. I'll go check it out again...
Just checked out Dave's yesterday -- no change, still just pool tables, darts, and chessboards. Hosted game nights are poker only. Also has cribbage and Go. NO BOARD GAMES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad.
Thanks for the update, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woo! we're finally here. started work and so far so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome John (finally) to Wyoming, where the wind keeps the riff-raff away.

You show a mining microbadge -- are you in the coal mining industry there in Gillette? I'm an oil geologist myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yup, i just graduated with my mining engineer degree from Virginia tech, gonna be working with the peabody mines in the gillette area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paola B
Italy
Brindisi
flag msg tools
Is there any board game shop in Cody?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldcow wrote:
Is there any board game shop in Cody?
There used to be one in Cody, and one in nearby Powell. Unfortunately, both went out of business. I used to ride down there to run game days back in the years 2000-2002, and miss those stores a lot!

Cody, WY still has an excellent fireworks store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, JH, I was in Billings last weekend, and went to the Splash Page store -- I was not very impressed! The only board games they had were Settlers, Cities and Knights, and a couple of Munchkins titles. Pretty much totally a miniatures and D&D place.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone been to Heroes only in Cheyenne?

http://heroesonly.net/

I travel through that area on occasion, i might stop by

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been there, but I'll check it out on my next trip to Denver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |