Popular Tags: MN [+] [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to give people a head's up about this shop located right on Lake Street between Lyndale and Aldrich (next to the Greek grocery store). I was chatting with the owner and he seems pretty interested in hosting board gaming there and even doing "contests" of sorts where everyone pitches in a entry fee and the winner takes the game home. Definitely worth looking into for Minneapolis gamers, and board game groups looking for central space to play. They even offer 11% off of non-sale items and have an okay selection of currant BG titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://chaosgames.us

I'm looking forward to checking this FLGS out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Burkstrand
United States
Richfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to take a look also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be some people meeting at Chaos for boardgames tomorrow at 12:30pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they're related/owned by the same guys as Universe Games down in Richfield?

http://www.universegames.com/

Or are they just using the same webfarm and discount system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When is there going to be a game store on the east side of the cities? I'm missing Unicorn Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nova Games was opened by the former owner of Maplewood Air Traffic, but I think he closed up almost immediately because he lacked capital. It was mostly a hot spot for Magic players, but he always mentioned wanting to do a board game night once a week. Keep your eyes open, possibly he'll be back soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Nova Games was opened by the former owner of Maplewood Air Traffic, but I think he closed up almost immediately because he lacked capital. It was mostly a hot spot for Magic players, but he always mentioned wanting to do a board game night once a week. Keep your eyes open, possibly he'll be back soon.

Where was that at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maplewood at the corner of Larpenter and McKnight. I may pop in this week to see if they are open, but I heard that he was in the middle of trying to sell the place when he got sick... which meant he had to close earlier than expected. It may be back up and running however as this was two weeks ago. It isn't really comparable to Unicorn as it's not nearly as big or well stocked as Unicorn was, but I'm a fan since he caters to Magic and Minis games, and has always been very nice to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Looks like they're related/owned by the same guys as Universe Games down in Richfield?

http://www.universegames.com/

Or are they just using the same webfarm and discount system? :)

And they've got almost the same interior setup. I bet you're on to something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are part of the same "group" of friends, but have different owners. Angelo owns Universe and helped the guy who owns Chaos get up and running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Maplewood at the corner of Larpenter and McKnight. I may pop in this week to see if they are open, but I heard that he was in the middle of trying to sell the place when he got sick... which meant he had to close earlier than expected. It may be back up and running however as this was two weeks ago. It isn't really comparable to Unicorn as it's not nearly as big or well stocked as Unicorn was, but I'm a fan since he caters to Magic and Minis games, and has always been very nice to me.

Thanks for the tip! I can check it out during my lunch hour from work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Just wanted to give people a head's up about this shop located right on Lake Street between Lyndale and Aldrich (next to the Greek grocery store). I was chatting with the owner and he seems pretty interested in hosting board gaming there and even doing "contests" of sorts where everyone pitches in a entry fee and the winner takes the game home. Definitely worth looking into for Minneapolis gamers, and board game groups looking for central space to play. They even offer 11% off of non-sale items and have an okay selection of currant BG titles.

I see the board game night is set for Wed. nights! $10 entry and winner keeps the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I drove Nova Games by on my usual night to stop in (weds night). All was dark.

Also, as far as the Chaos board game night, he said he does the "win a game" event as long as people show up and want to participate. I guess they did Twlight Emperium once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
They are part of the same "group" of friends, but have different owners. Angelo owns Universe and helped the guy who owns Chaos get up and running.

I drove by Universe Games to pick something up just yesterday (Sun, Nov 23rd) afternoon and they were closed and the store was empty. :( They had a sign on the door but I didn't get out to read it. I was very bummed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh-oh! That's news I hadn't expected, esp since I had just chatted with the person who run Chaos and he never let on anything was bad over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justplainchips wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

I drove by Universe Games to pick something up just yesterday (Sun, Nov 23rd) afternoon and they were closed and the store was empty. They had a sign on the door but I didn't get out to read it. I was very bummed.

Wow, the 3rd twin cities game store to close this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What were the other two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Slobotski
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
When is there going to be a game store on the east side of the cities? I'm missing Unicorn Games.

That's sad to hear. I worked in Oakdale up until last year and Unicorn was where I got my start in this hobby. Went there over lunch many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
What were the other two?

Actually it's four total...

Phoenix Games (moved to far west suburbs)
Unicorn Games (closed)
Air Traffic Maplewood (Moved to Nova Games, closed within two months)
Universe Games (though I can't confirm that)

I'm just bummed that I actually can't play a good game of Magic east of Saint Paul anymore. I've got to travel to Minneapolis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

Universe Games (though I can't confirm that)

You've tried contacting the owners?
If I find myself in the area or have some extra time some day I'll try to take a picture of the sign to see what it said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix is now right between my job and my house. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some footwork the other day and found out some interesting things... take any of this as rumor however, as one person's "chit-chat" is another's "maybe it'll happen."

Universe... IS closed, but not due to economy, but because the shop in question was owned by a couple who are now divorcing. As opposed to keeping it open and dividing things, they closed. Angelo may end up buying Chaos after everything blows over according to the guy who runs that place.

Chaos... no plans yet to do a regular board game night as they've had a few different groups promise to show up regularly only to never be heard from again. I noticed they are starting to carry a nice selection of BG's, and the guy running it is a big BG fan. They had 2-3 copies of Dominion!

Nova... bumped into the former owner, Aaron, at the Source. He said that it's possible that in the new year Jason from Dreamers may open up a shop on the East side as he has always wanted to crack that market. Aaron mentioned he still runs Magic The Gathering events through Maplewood Caribou Coffee as he still carries his TO status, and may try to run the Conflux Prerelease through Shinders if they agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan W
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
There are 4 stores I know of other than the Games by James stores in the shopping malls: Phoenix Games, Dreamers, The Source, and Chaos Games. Anyone know any other stores around the metro area here? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the store downtown Shakopee is still open. Forget the name. Mostly CCG + LAN games. Their board game selection was pretty poor when I was there 2 months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |