Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's assume you just read the title of this game and weren't offended right off the bat. Maybe you said, 'you know, I'm not really sure what that's about, maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds.' If that's what you said, I hate to tell you this, but you're about to be disappointed.

Playing Gods isn't just accidentally or mildly offensive. Each player takes on the role of a deity trying to obliterate all the others gods by recruiting or decimating their followers. Buddha carries a chain gun. Allah carries a bomb. And the most offensive of all of these gods is Jesus, who is swinging a giant cross with a spike in the crossbar. In fact, I think it's just a contest at this point to see who blows up Balls Out Entertainment first - crazed Muslims or rabid Christians. My money is on the Muslims. They were going to bomb that Danish newspaper just for a bunch of cartoons. An actual statue of Allah carrying a bomb has got to put them over the top.

[AFTER THE FACT EDIT: The creator of Playing Gods pointed out to me that he never actually mentions that the guy with the bomb is Allah or Mohammed. So if you're a foaming-at-the-mouth Islamic terrorist, you can put away the vest full of C4 - the guy is not making images of your favorite deity. But if you were considering it, feel free to put the vest back on and pull the trigger anyway - just do it someplace where nobody useful will get hurt, like at an anti-gay-marriage rally.]

But even thought it is horribly offensive to nearly anyone religious, Playing Gods is also really funny. For instance, there are five gods that come with the game, and a sixth generic god with a couple blank spots. The sheet of stickers in the box lets you customize that sixth god for whatever you think people will worship - Scientology (represented by a picture of Tom Cruise), Jehovah's Witnesses (with a picture of a finger ringing a doorbell), and Oprah (with a picture of Oprah). Yeah, it's offensive, but it's damned funny.

The game involves rolling a die, moving your god around the aetheric pathway around the world, and using cards to try to kill or convert the sects of the other gods. It's actually pretty straight-forward - you move, and then you interact with the space you land on. If you land on some spaces, you draw a card. Some spaces are portals that let you affect the religious sects on the planet below. And a few do special weird stuff, like jump to another space or steal cards from the other people.

The real fun comes when you get to ruin your opponent's followers with acts of gods (yes, it's lower-case - there are a bunch of different gods in this game, and every one causes earthquakes, mudslides and tidal waves). You play the wrath cards you've run around collecting, and then you watch sects devoted to the other gods fall into the ocean or go up in smoke.

If you want to be a little less aggressive, you can also convert your opponent's sects. There are conversion cards you can play like resurrection and miracles, and then the other god can play cards like prosperity and afterlife, and the god who plays more cards wins. The trick here is that if a god can later come through and kill some of those converted dudes, they'll revert back to their original faith. So there are times when it's handy to kill, and times when it's great to recruit. All things considered, this part is pretty damned fun.

The problem comes in when you try to find the strategy in the game, because there really isn't very much to be had. The die rolls determine what you can do on any given turn, and so you may wind up sitting on a portal to a continent where you're the only god with any followers, and then you do whatever gods do when they're boreed (I don't know what they do. Kill something? Not sure). And to really crank up the luck factor, there's a card called Godkiller, and if you land on the space while holding the Godkiller card, you just point to the player who is winning the game and go, 'sorry, you lose.' It's the most arbitrary player elimination I've ever seen... but it's hilarious.

So the game is a little like Candyland for people who want the express train to Hell. So you can get kicked out of the game with no control over the process whatsoever. So it's offensive, and violent, and twisted. It's side-splitting fun, and I don't care if it has anything in common with chess, because I had a blast playing it. Hell, we had so much fun, we played it twice, even though one player got Godkilled in both games (that's what he gets for trying to win!)

I think the greatest thing about Playing Gods is the point it makes. If you are offended by the concept of this game, you need to lighten the hell up. It's a joke, for God's sake (yeah, I did that on purpose). It's humor and great satire. It points out incredible inconsistencies in the religions we hold most dear (OK, not me, but you might. I'm probably about to be buried in the next mudslide for my personal opinions regarding world religions). It points out how retarded it is to go to war over something as petty as a religious difference. And it makes you laugh the whole time.

As everyone who plays board games knows, no game is complete unless it has expansions. Playing Gods is no exception. The expansion in this case is another little batch of cards you can add to the wrath cards that let you just grab up extra followers (by doing stuff like banning birth control - more Christian sects - or declaring an open-ended war on terror - more Muslim sects) or kill opposing sects (by doing stuff like writing sacred texts in a dead language and complaining that nobody reads them - lose some Hindus). These cards don't add a whole hell of a lot to the game, outside of being damned funny. It's worth getting the expansion just to read the clever crap at the bottom.

One thing that deserves special notice is the production value in this game. Balls Out Entertainment must have hit the lotto, because this game has to cost a bundle to make. The art is perfect. The figures in the game are flat-out gorgeous - easily the most beautiful sculpts I've ever seen on board game pawns (as long as you can find beauty in sacrilege - and I can). The cards are slick and durable. The board is fun to look at. In short, Playing Gods is put together so well, you'll wonder how they can afford to sell you a copy for forty bucks.

Of course, my opinion might be a little biased - I don't believe in any of these religions (except maybe Oprah. How can you not love Oprah? Oh, wait, it's because she's a complete waste of oxygen). So I love being able to play a game that holds up organized religion and says, 'hey, this is kind of stupid.'

Summary

Pros:
Great theme (if you don't mind blasphemy - and I don't)
Plays incredibly fast - turns might only last ten seconds
Absolutely hilarious, I don't care who you are

Cons:
Limited strategic options
More than slightly sacreligious (wait, should that be under Pros?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great little review -

You hit the nail on the head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game a few weeks back and I thought it was rather boring. It's a typical roll and move game.

While the theme is funny got about 5 minutes the game takes about 90 minutes to play. With very little strategy going on this feels like an all day event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about you guys, but far as I'm concerned, blasphemy rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygo wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but far as I'm concerned, blasphemy rules.

The game Blasphemydoes not rule. Actual blasphemy does rule though.

I guess I will still be looking for a game that pokes fun at organized religion. This does not sound like my cup of tea, but those figures are freakin sweet!

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-written review and thanks for warning me to avoid this very cheesy (and lame) sounding game. Definitely not a game that I'd find funny or fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
I played the game a few weeks back and I thought it was rather boring. It's a typical roll and move game.

While the theme is funny got about 5 minutes the game takes about 90 minutes to play. With very little strategy going on this feels like an all day event.

I think, a deep heavy-weight game would not match the satirical viewpoint. You can hardly play seriously, when the second aim of the game is mocking about stupidity incarnating in religions.

I still haven`t played it yet (but my family absolutely wants to, so we will see) - but I don`t expect anything "deep". Maybe someone can find a twist or houserule to make it more "tactical" or "strategical" (or only shorter?) ... so far it rather looks like an accurate "realistic" approach, since all catastrophes and their impact on certain sects are - totally random ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put it this way, there is more strategy in a game of munchkin and more humor in a game of flux...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

VixenTorGames wrote:
Let's assume you just read the title of this game and weren't offended right off the bat. Maybe you said, 'you know, I'm not really sure what that's about, maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds.' If that's what you said, I hate to tell you this, but you're about to be disappointed.

"Playing Gods" isn't just accidentally or mildly offensive. Each player takes on the role of a deity trying to obliterate all the others gods by recruiting or decimating their followers. Buddha carries a chain gun. Allah carries a bomb. And the most offensive of all of these gods is Jesus, who is swinging a giant cross with a spike in the crossbar. In fact, I think it's just a contest at this point to see who blows up Balls Out Entertainment first - crazed Muslims or rabid Christians. My money is on the Muslims. They were going to bomb that Danish newspaper just for a bunch of cartoons. An actual statue of Allah carrying a bomb has got to put them over the top.

And therein lie the flaws that torpedo the notion behind the game and literally blow it out of the water altogether: Without any sense of perspective or focus, the game attempts to lambaste and scapegoat all major organized religions by broadly amd disingenuously defining them by their most fundementalist-extremist elements who are more often than not engaging in their own twisted form of religiosity than the actual tenets of their respective religions. In that respect, I very much doubt that this game would even be genuinely enjoyed by people who enjoyed comedian/commentator Bill Maher's recent "Religulous" documentary.

So, without that sort of focus, I would have to infer that the game's intended target market would be fanatical atheists who decry organized religion but who see no hypocrisy in their organizing themselves as in such a way as to resembled a de-facto organized religion themselves, even going so far as to sing atheist "hymns" (earnestly reworded classic religious hymns sung to the same music as the origial religious hymn, only extolling the virtues of atheism). Somehow, I doubt that atheists would take too kindly to fanatical atheism being cast as the sixth god in the game and depicted by a ranting, snarling bigot breaking a crucifix across his knee.

If the game designers had had any genuine sense of even-handed proportionality in implementing barbed satiric humor and edifying intent in their game, they would have created "Playing God: The Game of Fundementalist Extremismm, Renegade Religiosity and Cults of Pompous Personality."

But they lost me altogether on this one. Moreover, they probably need not worry about being bombed by any extremists as their extreme concept would appear to be in the process of imploding quite well on its own even now with most folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more controversy in an episode of south park than this game and at least south park is funny, relevant and timely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
They should've gone for the Jesus with the cords whipping people out of the temple... at least it is in the Bible, and then any Christians taking offense could be easily ridiculed!

And that's what this game is all about, ridiculing people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
So, without that sort of focus, I would have to infer that the game's intended target market would be fanatical atheists who decry organized religion but who see no hypocrisy in their organizing themselves as in such a way as to resembled a de-facto organized religion themselves, even going so far as to sing atheist "hymns" (earnestly reworded classic religious hymns sung to the same music as the origial religious hymn, only extolling the virtues of atheism). Somehow, I doubt that atheists would take too kindly to fanatical atheism being cast as the sixth god in the game and depicted by a ranting, snarling bigot breaking a crucifix across his knee.

If the game designers had had any genuine sense of even-handed proportionality in implementing barbed satiric humor and edifying intent in their game, they would have created "Playing God: The Game of Fundementalist Extremismm, Renegade Religiosity and Cults of Pompous Personality."

Interesting, that in the game there is a sixth "figure" with a plain circle on top with stickers to be attached (the pic showing just some of them incl. "Atheism") and suggestions to use anything players want to be used as a "God".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

duchamp wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Interesting, that in the game there is a sixth "figure" with a plain circle on top with stickers to be attached (the pic showing just some of them incl. "Atheism") and suggestions to use anything players want to be used as a "God".

Notably, since the game designers didn't denigrate atheists by depicting them in any outwardly bigoted characterization as they did in their design of the plastic game pieces depicting other organized religions, that Atheism symbol/icon of the capital letter "A" surrounded by electrons is pretty neutral. Notably, they didn't depict atheists at large with a ranting bigot in the act of breaking a crucifix over his knee.

So perhaps atheists were indeed the ideal prime target market for this misguided game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the game produced the exact effect they were going for -

Pissing off conservative religious people.

Being Christian, I have no issues with people trying to piss me off with blasphemy. I do find it funny when other Christians around me get upset and foamy at the mouth when people exercise their right to make games like these, and act just as obnoxious as some of the people in this thread did.

If you don't want the game to be out in front of the public eye, don't bat an eyelid when these games come out. Otherwise, you give them the credibility they are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jythier wrote:
They should've gone for the Jesus with the cords whipping people out of the temple... at least it is in the Bible, and then any Christians taking offense could be easily ridiculed!

And that's what this game is all about, ridiculing people.

Since the depictions of the plastic game pieces representing the major organized religions are broadly painting them as exeplifying the hateful ideology of the fundementalist extremism and renegade religiosity of its fringe elements, the game is NOT merely "ridiculing people." It's denigrating entire swaths of people who are mainstream adherants to those organized religions.

More notably absent is any negative depiction of fanatical atheists whose intolerance and rants rival those of its direct-opposite counterparts. Indeed, despite decrying organized religion, these samesaid fanatical atheists more often than not organize their own atheist congregation (a de-facto church by any other definition) where among other activities, they sing atheist hymns.

So, the game would appear to be more about selectively denigrating certain organized religions while giving religious cults, cults of personality and atheists a cushy pass.

As to depicting Jesus Christ with the whip cords he used to drive the money-changers from the temple, that characterization would only hold up contextually within that temple scenario. If I were sculpting a design for a game piece depicting the fundementalist-extremist version of Christ, I'd depict him with a sword in hand (possibly looking like an elongated inverted crucifix). Reason: Fundementalist extremists subscribe to the notion of a returning Jesus Christ returning with sword in hand for the Second Coming for Armageddon.

The game's junkyard-dog depiction of Jesus Christ brandishing the cross itself as a weapon with a nail sticking out of one of its arms (like a pick axe) doesn't adhere to any fundementalist-extremist conception of Christ, and for that very reason, without any relatable context, it comes across as more denigrating of the symbolism of the crucifix itself.

Indeed, compared with the rabidly bigoted depictions of the five organized religions represented by the plastic game pieces, the fact that the punch-out 6th character disks are so blandly generic and unsatirically charged should should provoke us all to wonder about the basis of that glaring discrepancy much less what were the intent and underlying motives of the game designers themselves.

After all, if they claim to be equal-opportunity offenders in the name of satire, those 6th-player disk designs suggest otherwise in no uncertain terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

First, excellent rebuttal. The game designers obviously watched the atheism South Park episode themselves.

I think a serious game with a god theme would have been great (like Populous for the computer) and the humor element could have been added to supplement it (I do think the minis are hilarious, mostly because they play with recognizable icons).

Sadly, it sounds like the designers had their satire in mind first and then decided to fashion a silly game around it. Probably a play-once-and-discard experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emceekhan wrote:
And the game produced the exact effect they were going for -

Pissing off conservative religious people.

Being Christian, I have no issues with people trying to piss me off with blasphemy. I do find it funny when other Christians around me get upset and foamy at the mouth when people exercise their right to make games like these, and act just as obnoxious as some of the people in this thread did.

If you don't want the game to be out in front of the public eye, don't bat an eyelid when these games come out. Otherwise, you give them the credibility they are looking for.

I'm not sure what was posted in here that was terribly "obnoxious" to you, I didn't see much that was off-base or wild-eyed ranting. People just don't seem too interested in this game or its satirical slant, that's all. I agree that giving attention to something that was created solely (or so it would appear) to demand your attention isn't the best way to downplay it. Ignoring it is probably the easiest solution. But sometimes faith demands a response from us - I see nothing wrong with people attacking something that's wrong, in their eyes. I think it's highly ironic that when a Liberal activist group takes actions on their beliefs, everyone supports their right to do so and they're even admired BUT when a Conservative group exercises their rights to take action on their beliefs, they're labeled "religious fanatics" or "crackpots." That's a pretty lame double-standard we got going here in America.

I honestly think that it's not even an issue of Conservative activism vs Liberal activism - it's actually an issue of people who prefer to take action and those who find "activism" of any kind, annoying or too pushy. If you put two people in a line behind someone who is obviously not paying attention when the line moves forward, thus holding everyone up behind them, one of those people might be the type to speak up and goad the unaware person forward, the other might hate that approach and would rather be patient, knowing that the person will eventually realize that the line has moved forward.

My apologies, though, for dragging a bit of politics into this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I didn't read the whole thing, because after I read this I couldn't stop laughing. Very funny stuff.

VixenTorGames wrote:

[AFTER THE FACT EDIT: The creator of Playing Gods pointed out to me that he never actually mentions that the guy with the bomb is Allah or Mohammed. So if you're a foaming-at-the-mouth Islamic terrorist, you can put away the vest full of C4 - the guy is not making images of your favorite deity. But if you were considering it, feel free to put the vest back on and pull the trigger anyway - just do it someplace where nobody useful will get hurt, like at an anti-gay-marriage rally.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vixentor was nice enough to give me the shirt that was sent, since I told him about the game.

It shows Buddha shooting and says "Budda Budda Buddha!" across the bottom.

Heeheee..my new favorite shirt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:

"Playing Gods comes with six different god idols (playing pieces): One each from major religions, and one generic god with an interchangeable belief symbol. A sheet of adhesive stickers is included, with various symbols that people might worship, from Zeus to the Almighty Dollar.
Or you may create your own gods and playing pieces—a salt shaker may be the Great Granular God of Sodium, a penny could be the Bronze-Faced Emancipator, or a small dried tangle of last night’s pasta may be a Fearsome Spaghetti Monster. Spare action figures, dried gum, or even a dead battery (the Cult of Duracell?) can conquer the world. The only limit is your imagination!"

I think, the game`s target is quite clear and cannot be misunderstood, if you read the rules (which should be done my people judging its intention): It is just any "belief", if political, religious or whatever. The most clear icons for this nowadays (and openly violent) are religions and their Gods. The game articulates a strong sceptical attitide towards any violence "in the name of ...", put in an obviously satirical manner, that is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad that they didn't have the balls to have Muhammad as the terrorist, yet they clearly have the other religious figures.

Still, it seems hilarious... now if only the gameplay was on par with the silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of buying it just for the components and rewriting the rules so it will be a more interesting game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Crow
msg tools
Why is there all this talk about the theme? I hardly read anything about the GAME. Can we get a less zealous and more detailed review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am disappointed that Wicca gets reduced to just a sticker…
I wish expansions expanded on all religions. So in time, you will eventually cover the gambit and have some timeless deity matchups.
Kind of like celebrity death match but with Gods…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards look fun and the miniatures are awesome. A pity the game system is lacking. It surely sounds fun but I don't want to get stucked with another boring game for the sake of the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.