Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the reviews and receiving feedback from fellow gamers, I knew that I had to get my hands on this game a few months back. Fortunately, I was received this great little gem through a game trade.

Plus my other friends have been complaining for months that I have all these "war games" but no card games. If I only had card games and/or my war games that didn't take so long, they would love to play with me. Well, be careful what you wish for friends!

After playing ten times with different people, I can pretty much lay out the pros and cons of this game.

Pros:

1. Length of Time: A normal game can run anywhere from thirty to forty five minutes which allows for short games sessions. It works great with my college classes because my game friends usually have at the most an hour to play games before going back to class or going to work.

This short game allows for several games in a short period of time. Take a game like Twilight Struggle which takes from 2.5 to 3 hours, we can get almost six games in that amount of time. For those impatient people or non-gamers, the time factor will help avoid frustration or boredom.

2. Theme: Great idea for a game because of the Cold War and the legends surrounding the KGB and CIA. It simulates the bluffing, backstabbing, and deception that was present throughout the various battle grounds of the Cold War.

From my own knowledge of history, both agencies manipulated certain groups and organizations within countries to gain influence or to further their agendas. This manipulation and power politics is what makes the game so interesting and engaging for game players.

3. Mechanics: The game combines good strategy, card play, and a little bit of luck into a good game. Every CW player has commented to me on the simplicity of the game and how they don't get bogged down in rules and procedures like other games. They can develop a strategy, but it depends on the card draw which can always change or your opponent's moves.

Cons:

1. Suspension of Belief: Some history buffs will have issue with the freedoms taken with actual Cold War history. In fact, I noticed on one card the leader described as a "banker" was really Sam Rayburn, the US Speaker of the House of Representatives.

While I can see their point, I don't think it affects the playing of the game. I believe all games with historical simulations or themes should be approached with a suspension of belief. Why would we bother playing the game if the outcome were pre-determined?

2. Knowing the Game: Some gamers will quickly lose interest in this game because it is possible to know the odds enough to win every time. In fact, one friend pointed out that CW was similar to poker where you just need to know how many cards were available and play the odds accordingly. If this is the case, I would recommend that you stay away from CW because it will become too easy to guess what is coming and where is the fun in that?

End Thoughts:

After reviewing all these facts, I still feel that Cold War is a great game for game players, newbies, and non-gamers alike. With its simple rules and short amount of time, the game is a perfect travel item or a carry along for whenever you feel the itch for a good game. Your friends will enjoy it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good honest/balanced review. Thanks for posting this - unfortunately it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but I'd imagine that it has a good chunk of fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Sims
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Some gamers will quickly lose interest in this game because it is possible to know the odds enough to win every time. In fact, one friend pointed out that CW was similar to poker where you just need to know how many cards were available and play the odds accordingly. If this is the case, I would recommend that you stay away from CW because it will become too easy to guess what is coming and where is the fun in that?

I've many games behind me. Yes - calculating odds is definitely an important part of the game. But certainly - You never don't know exactly what groups are in the deck. There is always some risk and it's always Your decision 'to take a card or not to take'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Cold War in 45 minutes or less and in color!

Not much colour, though: the cards are very drab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that I was able to help you Wytefang in avoiding a wrong gaming purchase. I know how it feels when you buy a game and only read the reviews for it later.

Yeah, the cards are a little drab but the cost of the game would go up as a result. Also, I think that the cards were designed this way in order to help the players better identify and remember what each card does. At some points in my games, I just referred to the card color in order to explain what each card does for its action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rakoto
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Also, I think that the cards were designed this way in order to help the players better identify and remember what each card does.

That's correct !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Quote:
The Cold War in 45 minutes or less and in color!

Not much colour, though: the cards are very drab.

I liked the monochrome color scheme. It reminded me of black and white television and photography of that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hua
msg tools
My friend gave me this game yesterday. Read the manual , haven't tried out..will try today. hope it goods
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.