Popular Tags: [View All]
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (5.5) loves race games. We recently had a good game of Formula De using the following rules:

Simplified shifting: can only shift up/down 1 gear per turn, at the end of your turn.

Corners: You must stop your car at least once in each red-bordered corner zone. If your move would take you completely through the zone without the required stop, you spin out,stop at the end of the red zone, and your gear shifts all the way down to first.

First across the finish line wins!

This is a great variant for younger children. It requires counting, a little foresight and planning, and a little bit of strategy. It also could be used to allow a younger child to play with a group of (understanding) adults using full rules without disrupting the game too much for the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 games with my 4 year old son. We used the basic game/rules. I select the right gear (the proper gear according the his car's position) and he rolls the die and moves the car. He won both 1 lap races. The smile on his face was worth it. He had a devilish smile when his car took the lead for the first time.

It's great, because it teaches him to recognize numbers up to 30 and count up to that number too. He still ask me to play the game from time to time. I've tried playing Gulo-Gulo with him today and he told me the he'd rather play one of my simpler games, like Formula D!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls