Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first game, we had a sixth player so played again. We shuffled the cards a bit more carefully (and still messed up, but corrected it after a round). This time I wasn't Adama, I was Madame President. But I was a Cylon off the deal (again). The other characters were Tigh, Apollo, Adama, Baltar and Tyrol.

One of the first crisis let me look at a loyalty card, so I picked Adama (which is typical) and declared him loyal. Doing anything else would be suicidal, and anyway, I had a plan. I was going to reveal myself before the sleeper phase, which I figured would put Adama under suspicion. Everything was going smoothly for the first few rounds, a bit too smoothly. I was hunting for a good quorum card, but didn't find any. Baltar declared Apollo was loyal (after an event let him look). Finally, with the fleet poised to jump into the sleeper phase, I decided to activate the FTL drive while it was a -3 population. Even with losing three pop, the sympathizer would make it a 3-on-3 fight (and I figured that using Rosalyn's power to pick a crisis card post jump would be reasonable compensation for being thrown in the brig).

Sadly, I made the population roll. Oops.

At the jump, Adama spent a lot of time before jumping us into an Ambush. He figured his turn would be fairly soon (to nuke it) that there was a 1/3rd shot he'd be disloyal anyway. As soon as he revealed the card everyone wondered if He and I were the two cylons at the start, and then he drew the sympathizer card.

Tigh nuked the basestar (I think) but with three cylons things spun quickly out of control. I got to dump a fair number of damaging cards on the next crisis (as I was still human and outside the brig). The attempt to brig me failed, confirming that one of the other 'humans' wasn't. Then Baltar revealed and put someone in the sickbay and emptied his hand. Now I had enough cards to protect myself from the brig during the chief's turn. I revealed and damaged Galactica, putting all the humans in the sickbay, with two characters out of cards.

The game took another few turns to resolve, but it wasn't really in doubt. At one point, almost every cylon ship was on the board (all the raiders, both basestars, 2 heavy raiders, and almost the entire human fleet). The FTL was damaged. Despite 2 cylon turns in that area (and wiping out a fair chunk of the fleet) humanity managed to get away before they finally ran out of everything. (Galactica had five damage, Morale was at zero, Food and Fuel were critical). Total time, about 1.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Despite 2 cylon turns in that area (and wiping out a fair chunk of the fleet) humanity managed to get away before they finally ran out of everything. (Galactica had five damage, Morale was at zero, Food and Fuel were critical). Total time, about 1.5 hours.

If Morale was at 0, the humans lost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And that's why he sums up the game with
Bankler wrote:
they finally ran out of everything

with the big everything being morale.

I know--I was the only human that didn't land in the brig because I was busy outside shooting ships (to little avail), and you can't brig someone who's not on Galactica.

Two cylons is tough enough. Three was so overwhelming that we couldn't throw known cylons into the brig and we couldn't get enough moves to get the humans out of sickbay (they either got shot or injured when Galactica was damaged). It was so difficult that Brian considered for a moment not revealing even after the other two cylons had and after he had proven himself to be one with the early FTL activation because 1) he wasn't in any danger of being thrown into the brig and 2) staying unrevealed meant he got to draw many skill cards (a revealed cylon gets two, IIRC), play crisis cards (revealed cylons can play crisis cards but they don't get to take advantage of the fleet activations in the lower left corner), and throw multiple cards into any skill check (whereas a revealed cylon can only put in one per check).

When he said, "I'm not sure if I'm going to actually reveal," it just cemented how in trouble the humans were. The basestar damaging the FTL drive right before the humans got a turn to activate it was the coup de grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
you can't brig someone who's not on Galactica

I don't think that's correct. See p.26 under "Moving from a Viper". It states if a player is sent to the Sickbay or Brig while piloting a viper, move them to that location and return the Viper to the Reserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're right. In retrospect, it may have been a Cylon reveal power in which the action was limited to people on Galactica (maybe shooting someone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.