Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning an expansion for Powerboats. Hereunder the first ideas. You can reply other ideas, or try ideas and give your opinion. I think I can make an expansion set in 2009.

That expansion set can consist of 7 small tiles, each 3 hexagons long. (Compare to the start/finish tile, which is 4 hexagons long.)

Each of these 7 tiles change the situation in the lake at their 3 hexagonal lake spaces, see hereunder. After building a course you place these tiles. You place the 7 tiles at marked spots in the lake, in the same manor as the start/finish tile, at the marked spots which are not in use by the buoys. For example: In race A the buoys are at the 4 A-places. Then you use the B- and C- places for the extension tiles. That are 2x4 is 8 places, but you don't use the B or the C on the lake tile with the start/finish line.

Once placed you start the game normally, but when you cross a space with an expansion tile the tile shows what happens.

Ideas:

- Redoubt:
Passing a space of this tile means that your boat flies the remaining movement steps through the air. That means that you can fly over land, as long as your last space is in water (otherwise you crash complete?).

- Stream:
Passing this tile in stream direction means that you double your remaining movement steps. Passing in opposite direction means that you half the remaining speed. If the stream direction is sidewards to your boat's direction, then your boat shift one space in stream direction?

- Maelstrom:
At the moment your boat crosses a mealstrom space your boat turns in the direction of the mealstrom (60 degrees).

- Low water:
Crossing a low water space means that your boat gets damaged by rocks on the lake bottom. The tile will show for each space how much damage you get ( 3 - 1 - 2 or so ). (4 damage means sinking, so when you are already damaged, you may change your route to avoid this tile.

Important for new ideas is that it has mostly advantages for the boats. Otherwise they get the same function as the islands in the lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a rule about boats bumping with each other when in the same space? Make other boats veer away from their trajectory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this game and these sound like some cool ideas for an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This game does seem wonderfully expandable, and a joy to play.

I'd like ballast, so you can chuck it off once per race to move an extra space.

This would be six individual hexes, rather than two threes.

Also, a way to add a fourth buoy (it would take three hexes). For me, I'd rather have one longer race than three shorter ones.

I don't think more chaos should be added, but there could be intermediate lines that boats can cross. I'm not sure if they should be used for betting (like Top Race) or speed limits (like Formula De) or something else more nautical, but it might add a twist to the game.

Chits with 1, 2 or 3 on them, that could be used to augment a die roll? You earn the chits by going down to one die ('to pick up trash')?

Another idea would be to add a tiny pickup and deliver element. The wide open map seems well suited for collecting artifacts/good/etc. and delivering them to other spots or carrying them to the finish.

Or they could improve your boat in different ways, like those games where the vehicle gains speed, control, etc.

Just a few not very creative ideas. Cheers and congrats on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I'd like ballast, so you can chuck it off once per race to move an extra space.

This seems an odd mechanism. Do you think that racing powerboats really do start the race carrying extra weight that they can discard to go faster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'm really brainstorming and I'll admit my ulterior motive - I'd like a bit more control. I don't need the Snow Tails look ahead, but would like to have some thematically appropriate way to gain a slight bit more control over the potential extremes of the die rolls. I am definitely in favor of granting points or tiebreakers to those who don't use them over the course of the race.

My favorite part of the game is the ability to find new paths and new ways to efficiently get where you want to go, so anything that enhances that aspect of the game would be super.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I'm really brainstorming and I'll admit my ulterior motive - I'd like a bit more control.

OK, well, I don't really know anything about powerboats, but some kind of "ethanol boost" or "engine overload" would seem a lot more plausible to me, to achieve the same effect, than "dumping ballast".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The redoubt idea was the first thing that came to mind. It would be fun.

cwali wrote:

- Stream:
Passing this tile in stream direction means that you double your remaining movement steps. Passing in opposite direction means that you half the remaining speed. If the stream direction is sidewards to your boat's direction, then your boat shift one space in stream direction

Perhaps this should be called 'current'. If it isn't too complicated, I would prefer that each movement step in an area with current moves you an additional space in the direction of the current. (Exception: moving against the current is two movement points per hex.)

A different type of current (whirlpool?) could rotate you 60 degrees each step that you are on it.

I guess these ideas are similar to Robo Rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
This game does seem wonderfully expandable, and a joy to play.

I have had the game for about three weeks and have played it with hardcore boardgamers all the way through to complete non-gamers. Everyone loved it.

grandslam wrote:
Also, a way to add a fourth buoy (it would take three hexes). For me, I'd rather have one longer race than three shorter ones.

Absolutely. An extra buoy for a slightly longer race is a great idea.
I also tend to play one race as a quick fix rather than three consecutive races. Therefore expansion elements that cater to that suit me.

Regarding the suggested add-ons, I would buy an expansion with those without a second thought. If I have any ideas myself then I will post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof Tisch
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moveable Obstacles / passings

How about a moveable obstacle, (a swimming island). This could be one or two hexagons. After every round one of the players (the admission changes every round) rolls a die and moves the obstacle as far as the roll was. These hexes can not be crossed then.

Also there could be a moveable water tile that overflows islands, so you can drive through as long as it is on there. Movement in the same way as the swimming island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a gate: 3 hex strip with two buoys printed on it that must be passed through in the right direction as part of the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How about if you could pass through the gate either direction?

Or one that is one way and one that is two way. Imagine the potential for head-on crashes, but I am sure it is not 'realistic'.

Slalom?

I think a 'dynamic' element would be interesting. The idea of a moving thing is good, so long as it does not become a tool for hosage. This makes me think of the storm in the Runebound expansion, the Sands of Al-Kalim. Once it appears, the players have a small choice of how to move the storm, but it is largely determined randomly.

How about wind? Could there be a general wind effect in one of the six hex directions that could push boats going below a certain speed in a particular direction? Or should it be boats going above a certain speed? Perhaps the wind could shift once or twice during the game.

How about adding waterskiiers?

In terms of powerboat course design, Google might help people find links to real powerboat courses. Just so long as they inspire us without making the game too fiddly.

http://ez-slalom.com/custom_portable_course_design.html

Another element that appears in powerboat racing is chicanes

I don't think I would post this much if I did not already like the game so much as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
el alcalde de GeekQuestions
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Christof_Tisch wrote:

How about a moveable obstacle, (a swimming island).

A lake creature ala Loch Ness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Christof_Tisch wrote:

That's exactly what I thought! Loch Ness swimming around and getting in the way would be pretty awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
Christof_Tisch wrote:

That's exactly what I thought! Loch Ness swimming around and getting in the way would be pretty awesome!

While I would find the addition of Nessie to a "serious" racing game pretty amusing, I suspect that some others would not (no accounting for taste etc).

With that in mind I am sure that it would be possible to print a ship of some kind on the other side of the Nessie counter, just in case the inclusion of a mythical creature spoiled some players suspension of disbelief. It could even use the same rules and simply be a cosmetic change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
How about a rule about boats bumping with each other when in the same space? Make other boats veer away from their trajectory?

Yes, please! I was a bit disappointed that this wasn't possible in the game, and it lowered the rating a bit for me and my friend when we played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
MGBM wrote:

Yes, please! I was a bit disappointed that this wasn't possible in the game, and it lowered the rating a bit for me and my friend when we played it.

Actually, for me this had quite the opposite effect. A race with 6 boats where you could just randomly be bumped away all the time loses quite a lot of the fun (while I find this a good mechanic to take into consideration in Roborally) when you can do nothing about it. On the other hand, knowing that e.g. when you're behind a boat that two different rolls get you to the same space is sometimes useful.
So this should be an optional rule at best.

But I'm all for moving obstacles (Nessie, boats, driftwood, whatever) and jumps.
Reminds me of that legendary James Bond powerboats chase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, BTW. In no particular order and most of these have been suggested earlier:

- The ability to "jump" over islands both with and without taking damage.

- Drivers and boats with special abilities (customizable)

- Bumping but it would get incredibly chaotic with more players (FlussFieber, anyone)

- Rules for slalom courses

- More buoy markers

- Tiles with more or less water/islands on them

- Moveable obstacles (fantasy theme?)

- Mission related objectives

- Guns (or laser beams or missiles or you get the idea)

- Currents or whirlpools or Sargasso Sea like areas

- Gates that open and close regularly/randomly

Thanks again for this fun racing game.

Take Care,

Gene Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OutpostGamma wrote:

...Guns (or laser beams or missiles or you get the idea)...

I submitted a file with my own power up rules for Powerboats last week. It just got approved if anyone reading this is interested in giving them a go.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo/37402

I really like some of the ideas in this thread. I am looking forward to the 2009 expansion already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Young
United Kingdom
Feltham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Tea & Crumpets (Buttered), what more can you ask for in life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

- The ability to "jump" over islands both with and without taking damage.
- Drivers and boats with special abilities (customizable)
- Rules for slalom courses

Jumps - Tiles that allow Jumps over islands ect, each tile could have a number that states the speed you must hit the jump on and points for achieving the Jump.

Driver Stats - Like the idea

Slalom - Another points option by making part of the course, or all of it a Slalom with points awarded for each part plus extra points for a completed Slalom Course.

All the ideas sound great, you also realise that the ruleset to this game could probably be adapted for a Skiing Game. How about that for a big box expansion - Slalom the Ultimat Skiing Game

Hope you all had a great Christmas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Kelloniemi
Finland
Lappeenranta
Etelä-Karjala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
MGBM wrote:

Easy houserule:
Whenever a boat goes through another boats hex, the passed by (or collided) player throws dice. On 1, he turns his boat 60° left, 2 keep the direction, 3 turn 60° right.

If ending the movement at the same hex, push the opponent on your direction one hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jumatake wrote:
Easy houserule:
Whenever a boat goes through another boats hex, the passed by (or collided) player throws dice. On 1, he turns his boat 60° left, 2 keep the direction, 3 turn 60° right.

If ending the movement at the same hex, push the opponent on your direction one hex.

Yes, that's nice and simple! I like it, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
are also other ideas which not work with three-hex-tiles needed/wanted or is the concept finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the concept of 7 3-hexes-tiles is finished. So for this expansion that is what it will be.

Though other ideas are interesting to read too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
one idea that comes to my mind is : two shorter border tiles so that we can build a real race parcour . so that the board looks

_ _ _ _ _ _
[_ _ _ _ _ _]

instead of

_ _ _
[.....]
[_ _ _]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.