Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the aforementioned "Who's Game House" is a nice store, and it is in a really nice little shopping area in downtown rapid.

512 Main St. Suite 910
Rapid City SD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting on the roof of the Hotel Alex Johnson right now. It's downtown Rapid City and directly across the street from the entrance is a small comic and board-game store:

Storyteller Comics & Games
520 6th Street, Rapid City, SD
(605) 348-7242

I got here too late tonight; they were closed. But I saw some gamers in the back getting their game on.

--

I wish I knew some gamers in town to get together with tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
Just to get a feel, what would people's responses be if I said SDSM&T has a board game club that is open to the public?

Would folks attend knowing the majority of members were students?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Vaucher
msg tools
While my answer is yes I am going to be a student come the fall so... On another note what's the sdsmt gaming community like/what types of games do ppl play and would it be a good idea to bring any of my games with me when I go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread but I figured I should add to it.

A friend and I are always looking for people to play games with in the area. In fact, supposed to meet up with someone new tonight (he has a crokinole board!). I seem to be a bit of an outlier in this town because I primarily enjoy Euros. That said, I do play a little of everything and the aforementioned friend plays literally anything.

So yeah, if you're in Rapid and you want to play Euros or whatever really, feel free to hit me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Block
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Man, seems like there should be a state-wide boardgame convention. There's a 10+ person group here in Sioux Falls that didn't even exist a few months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This area can be a little sparse for gaming considering the low population density, so I'll chime in that if anyone is ever in Lincoln, NE there is a pretty decent group that routinely meets in town. Here's our guild: Lincoln BGGers

There's also a gamefest in Kearney, NE every March and something in Omaha too, i think it's called NukeCon...?

Cheers and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
JadedJawa wrote:
While my answer is yes I am going to be a student come the fall so... On another note what's the sdsmt gaming community like/what types of games do ppl play and would it be a good idea to bring any of my games with me when I go?

I wouldn't bring your whole collection, but it wouldn't hurt to bring something. You probably only have limited space. In any case, the on campus group is called TAG. Also, Who's game house does do board game sundays each sunday. I have only gone the once, but it was pretty fun.

But don't bring Pandemic. I am initiating a workshop to be offered in a number of the programs where you will play Pandemic to learn teaming skills. I plan on making those copies available for "rent".

attilathejund wrote:
Old thread but I figured I should add to it.

A friend and I are always looking for people to play games with in the area. In fact, supposed to meet up with someone new tonight (he has a crokinole board!). I seem to be a bit of an outlier in this town because I primarily enjoy Euros. That said, I do play a little of everything and the aforementioned friend plays literally anything.

So yeah, if you're in Rapid and you want to play Euros or whatever really, feel free to hit me up.

I am not too much a snob about games, so I'll play whatever. With that, there are certain games I will NOT play, but it has nothing to do with being a snob. It is because I hate playing those games (Risk, monopoly, Battlestar galactica, cosmic encounters, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of surprised to see this thread started up again. I'm available to play some games on most weekends as is my friend. If anyone in the Rapid area is interested than just send me a message and we can meet up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melodie Hatley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jump starting the thread again. I and my husband may be interested in playing a RPG, and definitely interested in anyone playing board games in the Rapid area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

My girlfriend and I go to Who's Game House every Sunday for their board game Sundays. We tote the games that we own (on my newly-filled out game list) and a few that we're holding on to for a deployed Air Force member. I ought to add that we're budding gamers and haven't delved too deep into complex games but aren't unwilling to play anything. We played a fun game of Caverna two Sundays ago and it was a fun time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I'm open for play on Friday Nights and some Sundays. I have a friend that still plays. Our game group shrunk down with people moving etc. If your interested in meeting up sometime, let me know. I will try to make it into Who's on Sundays, I will let my friend Jeff know about it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! We usually get to Who's Game House around 2pm.. we used to get there at 11am but that was prior to having a level 0 human to prep for travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melodie Hatley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my husband and I work overnights, so there would be no way you'd see us at 11am. Heh. About how many people show up? I mean, like on average?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On average, I would say there's usually four people there that are actively board gaming. There's always a Magic or Warhammer game going on too. There have been days with two tables of six people playing board games but that's not the norm. The girlfriend and I typically stay until 8 if we're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melodie Hatley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that sounds good. We will try to make it one of these Sundays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
I have thought about starting up a "Meetup" group, but they are expensive. There is also a local "guild" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1493), but it is fairly inactive (and lowly populated).

Maybe we can start an INFORMAL meetup group.

While I like board game sundays, there are two problems with it. It is only sundays. It would be nice to do it on a saturday sometime.

Also, it is only at Who's. I like who's and I really like the owner (great guy). The problem is for those level 0 humans, it is hard. While the baby can be dealt with somewhat easy, the 3-year old is the true handful. So if I want to go, I have to leave the family behind. With my work schedule, that is even less time to spend with them.

In short, I am saying, join the guild above, let's start organizing meetups at folk's houses and such. Where wee ones are kosher and we can do things Friday after work or Saturday afternoons.

In Virginia, we used to do board game BBQs every month or so. They were a blast.

I come to Who's when I can, but it isn't EASY/convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also bring our level 0 newbie with us too. It occasionally requires me or his mom to step away for a minute. I can see the dilemma of bringing a 3-year-old or around that age.. There was a gal that brought her daughter around that age and let her utilize the wi-go to watch My Little Pony or what-have-ya.

Regarding a meetup group, there is a group of folks on meetup.com that have expressed some interest in board games. Black Hills Geeks and Geekettes, I think.

I'll have to look into the abovementioned guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
my kids don't have that kind of patience. But I figure at someone's home, it is not a big deal. We have a "play room" for the kids while the adults play fun games.

I checked out geeks and geekettes, but it seems like all they do is watch movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On that Meetup group, they made Board Game Sundays at Who's Game House a reoccurring event with me hosting it. It makes it a bit obligatory that I go and the ones that I miss, I feel bad about missing.

I agree that they seem to enjoy watching movies or having 'Coffee and Conversation' but I see no reason that you couldn't plunk a game of Coup onto the middle of a coffee table. I've never made it out to one of those outings but I intend to. I'll probably happen to have a few quick and easy games in the car too that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to make it down to Who's on Sundays but I haven't had the chance to yet. I normally play on Fridays now but maybe this Sunday I can make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's Game House is wanting to see what kind of interest is out there for Star Wars: The Miniatures Gameand is having a demo day this Saturday, July 19 2014. My girlfriend and I have a small squadron that we kill each other with. One of the guys from the Sunday group also has at least 100 points of ships for each side.

I know they've got two 4' x 4' playing surfaces for X-Wing. It ought to start at 2pm and go to 6pm. If you're interested, feel free to swing by. They've got a store copy of the game and I wouldn't have a problem lending anyone some ships to round out their squadron. Just letting you know the goings on.. and shamelessly bumping this thread!

https://www.facebook.com/WhosGameHouse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's just posted on their Facebook page.

X-Wing Tournament, 12:00pm October 5th. Now to figure out a good list..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's Game House is having another X-Wing Tournament. Sunday, December 7th and from what they've just posted, they're making Saturday nights their X-Wing night.

Also, if you went to the previous X-Wing Tournament, they've got their prizes. The girlfriend got some cloaking tokens and a promo Tie-Bomber card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet. i'm going to try to make it, Wave 5 should be available by that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |