Subject: Looking for gamers in Rapid City, SD area rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as people have recently been posting here, I figure I'll throw this out.

I work at Rapid City Public Library. I'm interested in starting up a board game night through the library. Start small, hopefully bringing in both experienced gamers and people new to the hobby- I'd try to have one featured gateway game there to teach people, with other games and space for people to bring their own.

Ideally, the event would grow over time, bringing new people into the hobby and showing my bosses that there's enough interest in the area to support a circulating collection of board games.

No details as of yet, as this is mostly in the "I'd like to try this" phase, but I'd probably shoot for Tuesday or Thursday nights, 5-7.

So, would there be any interest in such a program from gamers in the area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. The more gamers out there, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
srhall79 wrote:

I work at Rapid City Public Library. I'm interested in starting up a board game night through the library. Start small, hopefully bringing in both experienced gamers and people new to the hobby- I'd try to have one featured gateway game there to teach people, with other games and space for people to bring their own.

Ideally, the event would grow over time, bringing new people into the hobby and showing my bosses that there's enough interest in the area to support a circulating collection of board games.

No details as of yet, as this is mostly in the "I'd like to try this" phase, but I'd probably shoot for Tuesday or Thursday nights, 5-7.

Absolutely. There is a really interesting book out there on how more libraries (public and scholastic and academic). Could benefit from stocking more games. The issue with the library would be noise. It can get rowdy.

But I know a lot of great gateway games:

Forbidden desert/pandemic: people respond well to coops and these have fairly simple rules and bring folks together

Ticket to ride, dominion, settlers of catan, carcassone: staples of the euro game genre and all simple to learn. No strong themes, but introduces those mechanics

Resistance Avalon/coup/1 night werewolf: quick and people get into bluff games. Not me but people.

Qwirkle, Tsuro : nice abstracts that "thinkers" like.

Roll through the ages, king of Tokyo: dice games that are quick and light

Theme of list: light, quick, fun

I have mentioned this to who's and anyone who'll listen. If you could rent board games like you used to rent movies, you could do well in a community that embraces board games (college town, military town).

Timing and advertising are big issues though. Good luck. Also, I'd at least post to the black hills guild here at the geek. Finally, a "meetup" group may prove fruitful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yukonhorror wrote:
srhall79 wrote:

Absolutely. There is a really interesting book out there on how more libraries (public and scholastic and academic). Could benefit from stocking more games. The issue with the library would be noise. It can get rowdy.

But I know a lot of great gateway games:

Forbidden desert/pandemic: people respond well to coops and these have fairly simple rules and bring folks together

Ticket to ride, dominion, settlers of catan, carcassone: staples of the euro game genre and all simple to learn. No strong themes, but introduces those mechanics

Resistance Avalon/coup/1 night werewolf: quick and people get into bluff games. Not me but people.

Qwirkle, Tsuro : nice abstracts that "thinkers" like.

Roll through the ages, king of Tokyo: dice games that are quick and light

Theme of list: light, quick, fun

I have mentioned this to who's and anyone who'll listen. If you could rent board games like you used to rent movies, you could do well in a community that embraces board games (college town, military town).

Timing and advertising are big issues though. Good luck. Also, I'd at least post to the black hills guild here at the geek. Finally, a "meetup" group may prove fruitful.

Thanks!

Looks like this will be happening in February. Still need to lock down details. If it's successful, I hope to turn it into a monthly event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
name of book I mentioned:

B Mayer and C Harris
Libraries Got Game: Aligned Learning Through Modern Board Games
Chicago, IL
ALA editions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a meetup group called Black Hills Geeks and Geekettes that I have a weekly Board Game Sunday meetup listed at Who's Game House. I don't think it's been very fruitful at bringing new gamers. Still, there's the possibility that folks don't want to go to Who's for their gaming so posting something on that Meetup group wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
I looked into that meet up, but they seemed more "movie oriented"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming back to this thread a bit late, but Gaming for Grown-ups 101 is happening at the Rapid City library on February 19th starting at 5pm. http://rapidcitylibrary.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.asp...=

As the name implies, it's focused on introducing people to the hobby, with one game taught each time, but there will be other games on hand for people to come in and try out (Rio Grande Games was kind enough to send some demo copies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
Unfortunately I'll be neck deep in grading. I put a post on Who's house Facebook though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teaching one game a night sounds like a good idea. I think that Who's Game Store might look daunting from the outside and the fact that you don't have any idea what you might be playing could be off-putting too. We'll be there as close to 5 as we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:
Coming back to this thread a bit late, but Gaming for Grown-ups 101 is happening at the Rapid City library on February 19th starting at 5pm. http://rapidcitylibrary.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.asp...=

As the name implies, it's focused on introducing people to the hobby, with one game taught each time, but there will be other games on hand for people to come in and try out (Rio Grande Games was kind enough to send some demo copies).

Scott-

How did the event go? Just reading this all here for the first time, but sounds like a great idea. Hope it continues!

-Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jehayward wrote:
srhall79 wrote:

Scott-

How did the event go? Just reading this all here for the first time, but sounds like a great idea. Hope it continues!

-Jeff

Jeff-

I ended up with six- five started on Ticket to Ride, the sixth showed up later and we tried out Bohnanza. Everyone had a good time and I expect to see most of them at the next session. Which is this Thursday (March 19), with Carcassonne as the featured game.

I was prepared for more, but thrilled that I wasn't hanging out in an empty room for two hours. This was a good start, and something I think will grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:

Jeff-

I ended up with six- five started on Ticket to Ride, the sixth showed up later and we tried out Bohnanza. Everyone had a good time and I expect to see most of them at the next session. Which is this Thursday (March 19), with Carcassonne as the featured game.

I was prepared for more, but thrilled that I wasn't hanging out in an empty room for two hours. This was a good start, and something I think will grow.

That's awesome; glad you had a good turn out! I have a board meeting this Thursday, otherwise I'd be there (Along with my meager Carcassonne collection)! Hope it continues to grow, and that I can attend in April! Will you post here after Thursday to let us know how it went?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I remember. I'm pretty crap at publicity.

April will have Dominion as the featured game. For May, I'm hoping the library will buy me a cooperative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I'll try to attend in April, as I'd like to learn to play Dominion. Are you active with Who's Sunday gaming events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verle Follette
United States
Keystone
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got more than a few cooperative games if you're wanting to demo one. I doubt I'll get there before five since I have to head there very shortly after work in Keystone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 8 show up Thursday night- 3 of the 6 from February returned, plus 5 new. It worked out very well- I set the first five up on Carcassonne. When I had a few more show up, I taught them Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers- two of them had played regular Carcassonne, so this gave something different for them. Some growth and new faces, so that was encouraging.

Next session is April 16. Time is being pushed back to 5:30-7:30- give people a chance to get over if their work day ends at 5.

Forbidden Desert has been ordered for May's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really encouraging. Seems like there is some good interest. What's the demographic of the group? Older, younger?

I'll make sure to be there in April for Dominion; I'm interested in learning how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
srhall79 wrote:

April will have Dominion as the featured game. For May, I'm hoping the library will buy me a cooperative game.

I have about 11 copies of Pandemic if you want to borrow one for the night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yukonhorror wrote:
srhall79 wrote:

I have about 11 copies of Pandemic if you want to borrow one for the night?

That would be great! I have a copy of Forbidden Desert on order, but Pandemic would add variety (and help cover anyone over the 5 Desert can handle). Next month will be May 21st.

And just a reminder for anyone following, we'll meet-up this Thursday, April 16, for a Dominion focused night, 5:30-7:30 pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
I might be able to come, but if not, shoot me a message on how to make it available for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |