Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin DH
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll be returning to Chengdu with my family for a couple of weeks over Christmas and I was wondering if anyone on this forum knew of any boardgame stores in the city? It will be nice to be back - my wife and I taught in Deyang for a year a while ago and this will be our first visit since then, with two children!

We'll be pretty near the main square (the one with the giant statue of Mao - forgot the name.)

EDIT: As an afterthought, and probably an astronomically long shot, does anyone know if Games Workshop games are played/sold in Chengdu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been in 7 years, so the only game store I knew of might not be there. It was close to the American Embassy across from the McDonalds. The only had wooden toys/games, but they were pretty neat. There were ton's of places that sold mah-jong sets. And nobody knows how to play Tichu.
I remember that there is the night market just one block west of the Mao square where you will be staying, and they always had interesting things (I did pick up a Go set there). So maybe you could find something there.
Good luck and have fun.
Did you ever go on the totally surreal underground tram ride in one of the parks in Chengdu? It was the weirdest experience I had in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is at least one place. Check out this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/295310

If you can read Chinese (or tolerate googletranslate) then check out this forum:

http://www.boardgamechina.cn/forum/forum-42-1.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin DH
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice!

zboat wrote:
Did you ever go on the totally surreal underground tram ride in one of the parks in Chengdu? It was the weirdest experience I had in China.
Tell me more - sounds fascinating. Do you remember which park it was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls