Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From another NYC Boardgame Meetup member, I found out that Neutral Ground will be closing their doors soon.

http://www.neutralground.com/news.php?id=205

There is no date listed, but I don't expect the store to be open beyond the next month or so. This cuts out one large gaming area and leaves just the Compleat Strategist as the main game store in Manhattan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awful. Thumbed in sympathy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gil. It's weird to think I've been around since the store opened and now seeing them close. I wonder if we'll find any other appropriate gaming venue that can hold the number of players we usually get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... just wow.

After moving to the new location and reopening the basement, I thought things were going well for him.

That sucks... I wonder where our meetups will be now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I was pressed for time last week and couldn't stop in while I was in town. That's a shame. Nice place. Tough place to be a retailer though.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just sucks.

And not for nothin, I have heard rumblings of The Compleat Strategistt moving out of Manhattan.

Can anyone confirm or denounce that rumor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I regret missing it. On my last NY trip, I wrote down the wrong address, and we couldn't find it, so gave up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
This just sucks.

And not for nothin, I have heard rumblings of The Compleat Strategistt moving out of Manhattan.

Compleat Strategist has other retail stores that are not in Manhattan, and I'm sure they can compare revenue and rent just by changing tabs on the spreadsheet. Given the existing margins and non-differentiable nature of their product, owning retail frontage in Manhattan (even a slice as thin as CS's) is a pretty big expense.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, that really does suck.

although i hadnt made the trip into the city to visit there for a few years, i was one of the first people to go to neutral ground, in their first location, back before they really WERE a store. They were just a bunch of guys hosting magic tourneys for Wizards in NYC.

whenever i stopped in i liked that store. good luck guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Didn't they JUST move in the last few years to a new location? I still miss their Rockefeller Center mini-store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
Quote:

Didn't they JUST move in the last few years to a new location? I still miss their Rockefeller Center mini-store.

They been on 33rd Street for years. They used to have on in Rockefeller Center and another one by Lincoln Center.

My spies in NY have it on semi-reliable hearsay that there's no sign of them leaving 33rd Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

I still remember fondly the early MTG Pro Tour quaifiers and pre-releases there.

If I didn't hate driving into the city I would have gone much more often.

Terrible news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's also going to be bad news for the Boardgame Meetup that meets there twice a month. I really don't think that there are any viable alternatives, or at least anything that's comparable in terms of space and hours of operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stopped in on my lunch break. Last day is December 27. They currently have everything in the store 25% off.

As for the Meetup, I'm going to check with my friends' bar on the Lower East Side to see if there's a free night for us in their private room.
Not as much space as at NG, but it might be a start. A few of us gamed there a few weeks back and had a blast. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
dtolman wrote:
Quote:

They been on 33rd Street for years. They used to have on in Rockefeller Center and another one by Lincoln Center.

My spies in NY have it on semi-reliable hearsay that there's no sign of them leaving 33rd Street.

Weird... I somehow got into my head the notion that they were moving a few blocks north (or had recently). I haven't been there in a few years, since they are always closed in the evening, and on Sundays, when I tend to be in the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
Weird... I somehow got into my head the notion that they were moving a few blocks north (or had recently). I haven't been there in a few years, since they are always closed in the evening, and on Sundays, when I tend to be in the city.

CS is actually opening weekends over the holidays . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dtolman wrote:

That sounds like Neutral Ground.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Strategist has always been open on Saturdays. During the Christmas season it adds hours including Sundays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutral Ground moved earlier this year, so that's probably what you were thinking.
I did wonder how they were able to afford the move closer to midtown from their previous location.

I do wonder if the Magic tournaments and releases will still be held in the city or if a place like King's Games in Brooklyn will end up taking up the slack. The Strat really has no place to play and has supported conventions in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
The Strat really has no place to play[...]
Not exactly true, as the Chitkickers who meet there monthly will attest. There's also a ton of space in the basement where a lot of miniatures get play.

From talking to the ownership, they grouse as much as anyone about the current state of retail, but it doesn't quite smell that rotten in Denmark yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, but over the years, I knew of the game area in the Strat where wargamers and some role players met, but never felt like it was inviting enough to new players. Last I knew was the room off to the side behind the minis wall some years ago, so that's changed. The Meetup group meets after work, though, and I don't think staying open until midnight just for us would work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Well...

The state of local retail gaming stores is not wonderful right now. Given the downturn in the economy and its impact on the target demographic of gaming stores, revenues are down...especially amongst specialty entertainment small businesses. It doesn't really surprise me, except to say that I've always found (as a consumer) that boardgames especially provide replayable entertainment hours for a fraction of the cost of other forms of entertainment. Then again, online retailers can provide some of what we do for a bargain, and everyone's bargain-hunting these days. My sympathies really go out to the Neutral Ground folks...I know exactly how hard it is to be in business these days in this field.

I own a store in northern NJ and the pinch is tight here as everywhere. But we're open from 11A-12P every day save Monday, and we have space, and we're a half-hour to 45 minutes by public transportation from NYC via train or bus. We can provide some gaming space to people displaced by the closure.

Scott Roberts
gamersgambit@gmail.com
http://www.gamersgambitonline.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

I'm sure your offer will be taken up by some of our members, and I hope you do get some business from that. I suspect that the number will be fairly low, however, as many people who joined us are either lifelong city denizens (Metrocards don't work on NJ Transit), or are people who work in Manhattan and coming by after work before going back home in the outer boroughs, or who live upstate or in Long Island and who would not be willing to spend the extra 1.5-2 hour round trip that would take.

Nonetheless, good luck with your business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Awful. Thumbed in sympathy.

Ditto. Tough economy for a game store to navigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
From talking to the ownership, they grouse as much as anyone about the current state of retail, but it doesn't quite smell that rotten in Denmark yet.

Here's hoping that's true. I stop in almost every time I go into the city and even though online prices are significantly better, I try to buy something every so often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |