Popular Tags: VidRev [+] [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay and turn walkthrough segments have all been updated since the original videos were posted to correct some rules errors...

Part 1 (intro, components and gameplay)

Part 2 (gameplay continued, review comments)

Part 3 (example walkthrough of a turn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Video review of Red November
Good job, but some of those rules are still getting ya. laugh

Let's see if I can remember them. Ok, a few times you mentioned that yellow might move around and do something else after unblocking a hatch, etc. Nope, 1 action per turn. After unblocking the hatch, yellow's turn is over, time to update and end the turn. Yellow would only get to do something else if they were the furthest back, but that's starting another turn.

In part 3, you mentioned that you forgot to do a faint check because you were at drunk 1 level. No, you had that one right, you only do a faint check on the turns that you actually drink grog.

Also in part 3, you mentioned that the asphyxiation track always moves when a fire comes up, but it doesn't move if that room was currently flooded. I think you got this one correct in part 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah geez, well that points up my comments about the rules being difficult to grasp or remember, at least for me.

This is what YouTube annotations are great for... I'll add some ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other correction or I guess question...

On your 3rd video of example of turn...

You had Yellow at intoxication level 1. Which I assume happen on a turn prior to the turn you fixed the timed crisis as you did not use Grog on that one. If you were on intoxication level 1....once that turn was over before the next turn the card would flip back over to normal no?

So then when you used grog on the next turn...you would have flipped back to 1...not to 2. My understanding was everyturn after you used a grog at the start of turn you move your intoxication back 1.

Just making sure I understand that correctly.

BTW....thanks for the videos. They definetely answered a few other gameplay questions I had.

Also one other question....opeing a hatch is 1m...then isnt moving into a room 1min also? So if your in one room and open a hatch and go into next room thats 1 or 2 min?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekkor wrote:
One other correction or I guess question...

On your 3rd video of example of turn...

You had Yellow at intoxication level 1. Which I assume happen on a turn prior to the turn you fixed the timed crisis as you did not use Grog on that one. If you were on intoxication level 1....once that turn was over before the next turn the card would flip back over to normal no?

So then when you used grog on the next turn...you would have flipped back to 1...not to 2. My understanding was everyturn after you used a grog at the start of turn you move your intoxication back 1.

Just making sure I understand that correctly.

If I understand correctly, and I certainly may not... You never reduce your intoxication level for any reason other than playing the coffee item, in which case you're back to sober.

Quote:

Also one other question....opeing a hatch is 1m...then isnt moving into a room 1min also? So if your in one room and open a hatch and go into next room thats 1 or 2 min?

No, opening the hatch is what actually costs the 1 minute. Moving into a room is 0 minutes... unless... you move into a room with low flooding, in which case it costs an extra minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
If I understand correctly, and I certainly may not... You never reduce your intoxication level for any reason other than playing the coffee item, in which case you're back to sober.

Right, but the coffee item reduces your intoxication level by 2.

BTW, I just had one sober gnome that had 2 grog plus 1 coffee tile. I used the 3 tiles in order to get into a fire room, got a +6 from the 2 grogs, and ended the turn sober (-2 from coffee), so no faint check!!!
(the designer confirmed somewhere that this can be done)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ok thanks. Yeah I just reviewed the rules again on the intoxication thing. I think my son and I will give it another try tonight with each of us playing 2 characters to see how it goes again now that we have 4-5 rules questions cleared up.

Thanks again for taking the time to do the videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

Right, but the coffee item reduces your intoxication level by 2.

BTW, I just had one sober gnome that had 2 grog plus 1 coffee tile. I used the 3 tiles in order to get into a fire room, got a +6 from the 2 grogs, and ended the turn sober (-2 from coffee), so no faint check!!!
(the designer confirmed somewhere that this can be done)...

Ah, that's right, the coffee only reduces the intoxication by 2... it doesn't automatically make you sober.

One other question I still have about the grog is that I interpreted that you spend a grog tile just to go into a room on fire. I haven't been adding the +3 from the grog to my extinguishing fire attempts. In my view, the purpose of the grog was for the bravery to enter the room.

From the rules:

Grog
The active gnome may enter a room that is on fire.

The active gnome gets a +3 bonus to any fix-it action this turn.

I guess I interpreted those two lines as being distinct, but really, the Fire Extinguisher says the same thing, so there's no reason why I should have interpreted it that way. You should indeed get the +3 from playing a Grog tile, even after using it to get into a room. The Grog and Fire Extinguisher tiles are just kind of like "all access" passes that get you into the room, and then you use them as normal to help fight the fire. So really, you should never fight a fire with less than a +3 added.

The rules aren't particularly difficult in this game, and it's not as though there are a plethora of rules like Advanced Squad Leader or something like that... but there's just a particular way that the rules are, both in wording and in action, that has seemed to make them hard to internalize completely and correctly, for me, at least (but I know several others have said the same thing). It's funny, though, because I keep bouncing back and forth in terms of how hard/easy I make the game... The first two games I played were won but I was doing some things wrong that made the game easier than it should have been... but then I lost the next few games and now realize that I was doing some things wrong that made the game harder than it should have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review - always good to see the game in play.

Another rule error, and apologies if this has been picked up. In video 1 you mention that a fixing action moves the marker back 1 on the disaster track. The rulebook states 'Successfully performing a Fix Reactor, Fix Engine, or Fix Oxygen Pumps action brings the corresponding Disaster Track Marker down to the next lower reset point on the Disaster Track; i.e., to the fifth space if it is on the sixth or higher position, or to the first space if it is on the fifth or lower position.'

Not only is it easy to miss this rule, but it is also easy to miss the fact that if you reset from the fifth (where the second star is) you still return to the first space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:
Great review - always good to see the game in play.

Another rule error, and apologies if this has been picked up. In video 1 you mention that a fixing action moves the marker back 1 on the disaster track. The rulebook states 'Successfully performing a Fix Reactor, Fix Engine, or Fix Oxygen Pumps action brings the corresponding Disaster Track Marker down to the next lower reset point on the Disaster Track; i.e., to the fifth space if it is on the sixth or higher position, or to the first space if it is on the fifth or lower position.'

Not only is it easy to miss this rule, but it is also easy to miss the fact that if you reset from the fifth (where the second star is) you still return to the first space.

Unbelievable... Yet another thing I've been playing wrong the whole time! Well, I feel good that I beat the game today (with two of the three disaster tracks on their last possible spaces)... It can be beaten, even with only moving each disaster track backwards one space at a time. In fact, knowing that now, I think it might be a little too easy to beat, so I may have to try removing some Respite cards.

I'm not sure when I'll have the time coming up, but at some point I'm going to try to re-record the gameplay and turn walkthrough segments for this video. It would be better if it could be presented more accurately without all of the annotations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:

Yeah... the surprise realization here is that you start with the markers already on space 1. From the beginning, this sub is do-o-omed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible though to reset a disaster track from, say, 8 down to 5, and then from 5 back to 1. This would either mean having two gnomes working on the fix, or the luck of no events between the two fixes that would move the particular track back up. Not easy, but possible. I could be wrong, but it struck me that the hardest part of the game is the last six or seven spaces and getting all the gnomes through them to the rescue stage as there are a lot of event card draws going on. I'd like to see a game where all gnomes but one make it to the rescue, and the last gnome realises that he can't save the sub, so uses an abandon ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've refilmed the gameplay and example segments, and the first part is already updated above... Hopefully I got everything right this time as far as the rules go. There is more background noise as my girls were up playing in the other room, and some things weren't as fluid as the previous recording, but if the rules are essentially correct this time, then I think that's what's important.

I'll make a quick post later once parts 2 and 3 have been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All parts have now been updated... Please let me know if there are still any rules errors. I did spot one omission, where I forgot to mention that performing a fix in a low flooded room costs 2 extra minutes. I added annotations for that already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my... somehow in the previous edited version I had spliced out the part about the oxygen/heat/pressure tracks and how they can lose the game for you. That's kind of important to know, so I put that back in and everything is now updated yet again. Whew... This one has really given me some grief!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for great videowork! Now its much easier to understand the rules. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not so dumb I got a thumb But on the phone Apposable But in re-dealing on the daily road Superiority is nothing but A friendly man with monkey hands A friendly mom with monkey pawns
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Ah geez, well that points up my comments about the rules being difficult to grasp or remember, at least for me.

This is what YouTube annotations are great for... I'll add some ASAP.

Eric, thank you for uploading the Red November YouTube videos.
It's really helpful watching another person explain and demonstrate the mechanics of a game.
Even if there may be some rules SNAFUs, it's good for everyone watching to know proper procedures and mechanics. Thanks for assisting Red November players who may be watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to say thanks as well for posting these vids. This game has been on my wishlist, but after seeing your videos it has been moved to the top of my wishlist. These mechanics look right up my alley.

I like your music in the videos too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my thanks to the others. I am interested in this game and your videos will help me make a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
yet another rule question.
You mention in video 2 that one player must have both the aqualung and the diving gun to kill the kraken. I don't think you actually need the diving gun to kill it, although it sure helps!
The rules just say: "the active gnome gains a +4 bonus to kill a kraken action this turn".
Perhaps I have missed something?

great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abel_set wrote:
yet another rule question.
You mention in video 2 that one player must have both the aqualung and the diving gun to kill the kraken. I don't think you actually need the diving gun to kill it, although it sure helps!
The rules just say: "the active gnome gains a +4 bonus to kill a kraken action this turn".
Perhaps I have missed something?

Yup, you're right. The diving gun helps, but isn't absolutely necessary. I'll add an annotation. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pott
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the video review of this great game. I played my 1st session of it last friday after a session of RUNEBOUND with my gaming friend. We were done & needed filler for the rest of the night & RED NOVEMBER fit the bill perfectly. Your video helped us with our questions about the rules & the flow of the game. If you have more of these types of reviews, I'd love to know for which games.

I never thought I'd see a video review of a boardgame--awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Saint John
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phenomenal videos that made the difference between being completely lost and having a pretty good understanding. THANK YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.