Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recenlty come to realize one major thing in the mexican gaming enviroment... the somewhat non-existent mexican gaming enviroment.

Recenlty I heard about D&D 4th edition and all the controversy it raised. So I decided I wanted to check this game, I mean one of my friends was an avid fan of this when he was recovering from an addiction, so the praise and good words about this made me want to know more. Of course I didn't knew where to start, RPG is a more obscure hobby than boardgames, at least to me.

This is where all begins. I somehow managed to get my hands in some PDFs of the Core books for 4th edition, dont ask me how, i just got them. After reading some of the player's handbook, being a legal person as I am, I decided to buy them... well... but where? Being a boardgamer, as you all are, I wanted them NOW, so I got them online, in english. But the "after search" is what it brought all the thoughts to my attention. (of course you know the after search, the one where you find what you just bought for half the price or in a store nearby or something bad...)

So, in this after search I got to a store (the first store of many): Comicastle, I'm not afraid to say it, this has to be one of the worst RPG seller in the whole world. They did had tons of books. Of course they carried tons of adventures, supplements, and publications familiar to RPG'ers around the world, but they didn't know shit about them. When I got to the store, I asked if they had RPG's, the first person failed to tell me where they were, "In the books surely" was the second person's answer, when I got to the books I had to look through but eventually the white side-covers revealed the D&D section. I already had them, but maybe here they were at better price... no?... OK. So this is how I got into the maelstrom of RPG's. I got hooked with one, but I looked at a matte red side cover that said "Vampire: Requiem" and immediatly asked the guy that was checking I didn't stole anything: "Hey, is this the only book that I have to buy if I want to play this?" of course the answer was "I couldn't tell, I am sorta new here". So of course, after going out of that hellhole of a store, being an internet addicted as I am, I began to search information for RPG's and this "Vampire" game.
But what I got was a somewhat of an epiphany after hours and hours of searching and surfing and buying.

I realized Mexico doesn't need just "game stores". What it needs its: Game stores with people that care about games.

In my search I realized there are at least 3 more game stores in Mexico city that I didn't knew of. But after trying to contact them and only getting "I'm just in charge of the store" responses, I just stopped looking... For example I went and emailed a store, asking about some games I was interested in. All I got was the exact same "In the books, surely" kind of response. I got dumb responses that are almost outrageous to a not-even decent boardgamer.

In my search I got:

1.People trying to sell Heroscape rulebooks as Miniature Rulebooks, you know... like Warhammer Rulebooks. They were selling both a Master Set Rulebook and a Marro Rulebook for about US$40 and I guess they succeded. (this was in an online auction)

2.One store that actually sent me a list of "what they could get" of RPG's, that was the whole list of their distributor's products (I mean, hundreds of things, from videogames to Magic Boosters). It was somehow like getting into a store and asking for a CD and then the people in charge saying "I guess we have that CD, but do YOU mind looking for it in this 1000 page catalog and see if we got it?"

3.Failure to respond any kind of mails, I mean, nice guy mails, hate mails, I'm-going-to-kill-your-wife mails.
4.One girl that instead of doing her job, sent me to the forums of their webpage, to look for information about RPG's. "Of course we have RPG's, look if everyone else at the forums knows if we have what you're looking for".

5.Hack stores that doesn't exist and no one knows about, but that do answer your emails telling you to "come over" to the most dangerous part in the city.

That's my discovery, my epiphany...

So the thing is: there's stores in Mexico, there's games in Mexico, there's people that play games in Mexico, but there's not one person in the "business" that cares about boardgames. That's kinda sad.

One more reason to try to open a game store myself.

Another thing: I want blogs back cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I realized Mexico doesn't need just "game stores". What it needs its: Game stores with people that care about games.
It's not just Mexico that needs this - you would hope all game stores have people that care about games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Quote:
It's not just Mexico that needs this - you would hope all game stores have people that care about games!

There are stores with people who care about games.
The owners of Orc Stories (previously Orcs and Trolls) always carefully recommend games based on your taste and experience. If there are no customer available to form game groups, or the store is not busy, they would play a game or two with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really don't mind if you sit this one out
mbmb
milo_del_mal wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Quote:

The owners of Orc Stories (previously Orcs and Trolls) always carefully recommend games based on your taste and experience. If there are no customer available to form game groups, or the store is not busy, they would play a game or two with you.
Do you know you are commenting on an almost 9 year old post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheWhistler1967 wrote:
milo_del_mal wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Quote:

Do you know you are commenting on an almost 9 year old post?
Yeah! People who post things 9 years ago don't DESERVE comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls