Subject: "Children’s" literary classics that you would re-read as an adult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a recent article on Salon celebrating the 100th anniversary of The Wind in the Willows. It made me recall just how enduring and endearing that story is, and it made me think about other so-called "children’s" classics that would be still be very satisfying to re-read as an adult. I’m not saying I’d put all of my other reading aside just to re-read them. But they are legitimate works that have been somewhat sullied with the "children’s" classification (or perception). Some of them – like Black Beauty - were mainstream novels in their time. Here’s a few I can think of:

The Wind in the Willows – mythical and magical
Peter Pan – a ripping good yarn
Black Beauty – solid story w/ lots of social commentary
Little House on the Prairie series – good story w/ lots of period detail and commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Trippy.
Anything by the Brothers Grimm - Also trippy.
The Oz series - Lot of good stuff here.
The Pippi Longstocking series - Well fleshed out fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Crime and Punishment to my kids just like my Grandma did for me at bedtime. Puts them out in a jiffy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read Little House books many times over the years.

I would add Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass to this list. I loved those as a kid and it was interesting to read them again with an adult perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Treasure Island & Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stephenson
Charlotte's Web - E. B. White

Also, most of the Newberry Medal winners and honorable mentions are FANTASTIC reads!!

Children's Lit & YA Lit ROCKS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
How "classic" are we talking? I still enjoy The Phantom Tollbooth and The Westing Game, but those are a little more recent than your examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Wind in the Willows--I was always a fan of action and adventure, but something about the relaxed, easy style of this book drew me in.
The Phantom Tollbooth--He had a marvelous way with words--and he loved to play with them. I'd like to think that reading Juster was the beginning of my career path.
A Wrinkle in Time--Everything L'Engle wrote was just great, so this represents her entire oeuvre. Her books never felt as though they were for children; she never spoke down to them. Plus, it was one of my first forays into science fiction.
Alice in Wonderland
and Through the Looking Glass--Classics. The best childrens books are full of wonder and shot through with dread.
Jungle Book--I think Kipling is underappreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Narnia series
Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Unfortunately, I didn't read any "classic" children's literature as a child. I read it in middle school and high school of my own volition. That's not to say I didn't read or wasn't read to as a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
How "classic" are we talking? I still enjoy The Phantom Tollbooth and The Westing Game, but those are a little more recent than your examples.

Well, the term "classic" has really been watered down over the years (apparently, the Steelers game this past weekend was an "instant classic"). I prefer the traditional understanding: the work in question has to have been around for decades, and been compared favorably to not only contemporary works, but also all works that came after it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Kid Lit I read as an adult 'cause it wasn't written when I was a kid:

Norman Tuttle on the Last Frontier by Tom Bodett
Tom took his humorous stories about Norman from his books and radio shows and tailored them for the young adult market to create a very funny and often touching coming-of-age story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Anything by the Brothers Grimm - Also trippy.

Ditto

MWChapel wrote:
The Pippi Longstocking series - Well fleshed out fantasy.

I guess I don't have good memories of Pippi because I was forced to read excerpts in "reading" classes in elementary and middle school.

I think of The Hobbit as a children's book because I read it as a child.

Edit - Stupid grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not, this should be a classic: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1979 - 1st English, 1983)

If you thought the movie was good at all, the book is fantastic. The book goes on beyond the movie. (Actually, there is a second movie, but it's pretty iffy.)

I actually read it the first time as an adult (of 20). Not only is it a great read, the hardback is a fantastic work of art. There are two colors of font, with one color signifying that you're reading the story of Bastian, and the other color signifying that you're reading the Neverending Story along with Bastian. Ende plays with this two font/two narratives concept in parts of the story. Also, each chapter starts with a full page illustration of the First letter of the chapter done in these two tones. (I noticed myself as I went through that each chapter actually begins with each letter of the alphabet in order from A to Z! The book is filled with these kinds of cleverness.) The story itself is incredibly creative, and contains many clever fantasy plot developments and a few very touching moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken is very readable as is The Borrowers by Mary Norton. The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin is a classic suitable for kids and adults. Stig of the Dump by Clive King.

For older stuff then Robinson Crusoe is still great.

The Just William and Biggles books are still enjoyed by many an adult. As are Swallows and Amazons.

As any fule kno the molesworth books are great for adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not fit my exact definition above, but I just remembered:

Watership Down - great story w/ some heartbreaking moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
It may not fit my exact definition above, but I just remembered:

Watership Down - great story w/ some heartbreaking moments.

Not considered kid lit.

And is one of my all-time favorite books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
I guess I don't have good memories of Pippi because I was forced to read excerpts in "reading" classes in elementary and middle school.

Nothing kills appreciation for a good book better than having it assigned in school.

Go to Amazon, pick any great classic novel, then read all the 1-star reviews. Nearly every single one starts, "I was forced to read this for school."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Phantom Tollbooth was the first title that came to mind when I saw this thread. I read it as a kid and a few more times as an adult. About ten years ago, Norton Juster came to Portland to do a reading. I brought my copy of the Tollbooth with me and had him sign it. It is the only autographed book in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Peter Pan – a ripping good yarn

MWChapel wrote:

I've read Lost Girls... does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I actually just finished re-reading it recently, Where the Red Fern Grows, it is on loan to my brother who wanted to re-read it also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (and Phantom Tollbooth)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming (of James Bond fame)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Wrinkle in Time is one of the best introductory sci-fi stories ever written.

James and the Giant Peach will get reads to my children for as long as they will listen.

Charlotte's Web is another amazing tale for kids that's a heart wrenching for adults just the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the best children's stories are good to read as an adult.

I'm reading The Secret Garden to my 6 year old and enjoying it as much as she does. She's reading The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe to me, and I like that too (although it's not quite as good as Secret Garden IMHO). During the Fall I read The Hobbit to her, and that was also great. She got so into it at times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lloyd Alexander: The Chronicles of Prydain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not canonical and only very approximately a children's book, but I nonetheless feel compelled to include Peter S. Beagle's beautiful fairy tale The Last Unicorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Women
The Little House books (If you make it to the "The First Five Years," you can see the interesting progression from childhood to married life.)
Jacob I Have Loved
Island of the Blue Dolphins
A Wrinkle in Time

Well, most of the Newberry Medal winners are well worthy of a read in adulthood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.