Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I was in Winnipeg briefly. I made my regular pilgrimage to Jogo Canada on Meadowood Drive, only to find that they had closed up shop. There's a new miniatures/figurines game shop a few doors down, but they don't carry any of the stock Jogo once did.

If you want Euros in that end of the city, the Explore Store in St. Vital Centre has an impressive selection for a mall store. I also heard about a new FLGS on St. Mary's Road, but we were on foot and it was -40 robot, and so didn't get to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what are you doing, wintering in Canada and then wintering in New Zealand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
A moment of silence for one of the fallen.

I always find it to be a sad day when a game shop closes its doors. That is why I almost always buy my games locally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
A moment of silence for one of the fallen.

I always find it to be a sad day when a game shop closes its doors. That is why I almost always buy my games locally.
The fallen can rot in hell. My $50 Jogo Canada gift certificate will meet them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
Sorry to hear that you lost $50. That is one of the reasons I liquidate gift certificates as soon as possible; you never know when a place of business will cease to exist. This is especially true during tenuous and volatile economic times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
So what are you doing, wintering in Canada and then wintering in New Zealand?
There is no such thing as winter in New Zealand. I'd been away from my wintry hometown for several years, and I'm convinced there's no winter anywhere but there. The warmest temperature we saw in the 'Peg for the two weeks we were there was -25C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwyjibo wrote:

The fallen can rot in hell. My $50 Jogo Canada gift certificate will meet them there.
Um... wow. Just, wow.

You're out $50, somebody else is out their business and their livelihood. I don't know the circumstances of their closure, but unless they just all of a sudden hung an "out of business" sign on their door, sold all their stock at midnight while you were sleeping, and then skipped town never to be heard from again... I think you should maybe try to feel a bit more sympathy.

Did they kill your kittens or something too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should go visit my cousin in Namibia. Nine months of summer, three months of hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Last week I was in Winnipeg briefly. I made my regular pilgrimage to Jogo Canada on Meadowood Drive, only to find that they had closed up shop.
Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I was going to visit 'Peg over the holidays and check out this store, but you've just saved me a trip. Hopefully there will be some (good) news soon on the new store that's starting up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
Maybe you should go visit my cousin in Namibia. Nine months of summer, three months of hell.

Sounds like Phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
Kwyjibo wrote:

Did they kill your kittens or something too?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For the record: the once owner of Jogo Canada has refused to pay her employees for their final weeks of employment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above is the polar opposite of my experiences with Jogo. I often called them from my home in Korea or New Zealand and placed telephone orders for 'Peg-dwelling family members to pick up. They never got anything wrong and on one occasion intervened when a misunderstanding could have led to someone buying a game I didn't want. They held giveaway items for me for months without complaint. They tolerated my terrible French. On two occasions they enthusiastically offered to teach me new games that were on display. They stocked golf discs! They were invariably friendly, helpful, and funny.

Granted, most of these things happened over two years ago, so maybe there was an ownership change (I had always thought a guy owned Jogo) that caused such a profound shift. But fewer than 6 months ago, staff at the store tolerated my choppy, broken, skype-call, and held a few items behind the counter until my brother could pick them up three weeks later. That's pretty friendly service, especially considering they knew how far away I was: there was nothing in it for them, in other words.

I'm eager to hear what the new store on St. Mary's is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
Your positive phone experiences can easily be explained. There were two guys working at Jogo. One was a nice guy named Stefan (?) and the other guy was a total asshole, let's call him "Christina". "Christina" did not answer the phone, so you'd never have had the opportunity to talk to him.

Things did change a lot in the last six months.

Now that I shop at the Explore Store, things are a lot better. Prices are still high, but the staff is friendly and there is actually a selection of games. Unfortunately, "Christina" works there now.
Plus, two years ago, you had Pat and Réal working at Jogo. Both of whom were very friendly and helpful.

High prices at The Explore Store? $35 for the Carcassone base game is perfectly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That explains it: Pat, Real and Stefan are the three I remember. Never dealt with a Christina.

I thought the Explore store was pretty well stocked, too: especially for a mall store. But the only item I wanted--Condottiere--was only available in the lesser Fantasy Flight Edition.

While I was there a nice young woman told me about the new game shop on St. Mary's--anyone been there? Ascouting report would be cool, as I'll be back in the 'Peg next Chanukah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The only shop I know of on St. Mary's is a place called Game Knight. It's a small space located at the back of a wine-making shop. Last I was there - two years ago - the selection consisted of 25-30 games. I can only hope that it's improved since then.

Pendragon on Main has a decent selection, but the prices are through the roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwyjibo wrote:
For the record: the once owner of Jogo Canada has refused to pay her employees for their final weeks of employment.
Ok, that's not cool.

Next time provide a bit of context to your condemnation, and I'll happily nod along.

Unfortunate that things spiralled so badly out of control for a store that had once apparently been quite excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm never happy to see a FLGS close (especially in a city where there aren't many), I can't say I'm surprised to see Jogo close. Although I always appreciated that they had a large selection of playable "demo" games available (which was great to see if a game was of appropriate to play with my kids), I'll echo the comments above about the staff being less than helpful, especially over the past year. I lately felt like I was inconveniencing them whenever I had questions or even wanted to purchase something... I even had one employee ("Christina" perhaps!?) actually roll his eyes at me & sigh heavily when I "interrupted" his game that he was playing to purchase some games shake... that was the last time I spent money there.

Any other good gaming stores in Winnipeg? If I have time, I'll cruise down St Mary's today to see if I can find a new store & post back once I do... here's hoping!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Dueck
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
What about Toad Hall Toys (in the exchange district)? I haven't been there in over five years, but the last time I was there they had a good selection of games, though I can't recall what their prices were like.
Is Toad Hall still operating? I got into gaming after I left Winnipeg nearly nine years ago and never needed to find a FLGS there. I did stop by Toad Hall Toys on a visit a half-decade ago though and would be curious to know if it is still around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Toad Hall Toys is still around... if you have kids & haven't ever checked it out, please do yourself a favour & take them to what I feel is one one of the best specialty toy stores in Winnipeg (definitely one of our favourite Christmas shopping stops)!

That said, board games are not one of their specialties, so although they have a reasonable selection, Explore Store (in St Vital) has many more to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Imagine Games in the exchange near Toad Hall. Checked it out a little while ago, with the understanding that it was the successor to the departed Campaign Outfitters.

The ambience was quite nice (big game playing spot right in the front with some class), and they had a semi-decent selection of paper n pencil stuff, but a rather smallish selection of boardgames, mostly chrome-heavy stuff (no TTR, Carc, or anything like that). Still, they have a metric buttload of wargaming stuff, so if you`re into that, check it out.

The guy working when I was there seemed pretty nice.

Online: http://imaginegames.ca/

Explore Store in Polo Park (gah) still has the best BG selection I`ve seen in this city since I started paying attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
My experience with Jogo staff was always good. One of their clerks is the reason I found BGG. My only frustration was how long it took for them to get new stock, though I understand that that is common for all FLGSs.

I can remember one evening my cousin and his wife wanted a new game to play for the evening. I suggested Jogo and off we went. When we arrived one of the friendly staff members pulled Through the Desert off their game shelf, set it up, and taught us how to play. My cousin's wife thought it looked fun so she said that they'd like to buy it. The clerk replied, "Sorry, it's been out of print for almost a year now." They bought Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
Let me paint a picture for those who think Jogo's closing was a loss.

Should you have visited Jogo while it was open, you'd NOT have been greeted by the staff, who, despite being knowledgeable, would prefer not to share any knowledge with you. If you actually purchased anything from their mediocre-to-non-existent display of overpriced games, you'd probably be scoffed at by the clerk, who was probably surfing this site at the time (again, brushing up on knowledge he's not going to share with you). Need help finding something? Get bent. Want something ordered? We don't do that. Want to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster? You can't look at my screen to see what's available. If you don't like it, get lost.

The owner of Jogo closed the store because her staff left her. She didn't WANT to run the store anymore. This isn't another boo-hoo-my-FLGS-closed sob story, it's the free market at work. This store was so bad, her own STAFF didn't want to work there.

There was no F in FLGS for Jogo. Good riddance.
This is mostly, but not entirely, accurate. Employee apathy was definitely maxed out (due to the reasons you covered in your second paragraph) but there's some exaggeration here. We'd still answer, as truthfully as we were able, direct questions asked of us, and certainly didn't do any scoffing. As far as helping people find things, "get bent" isn't quite what was going on. It was more of a "stare at the wall of crappy games because we haven't had new inventory in weeks and realize there's nothing here I'd want to recommend" situation.

And we hated Ticketmaster. There was definitely an effort to make the Ticketmaster counter an unappealing place to go. That part was kinda fun.

But I'd have to agree with the good riddance part. Having an owner who doesn't care definitely led to a staff that didn't care. Going to work ceased being fun long before the store finally closed.

And it's certainly easier name-calling when you hide behind an alias, guy.

xoxo
"Christina"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Levesque
Canada
flag msg tools
Well its too bad that you hadn't visited the GameKnights store that was on St. Marys there. It was pretty close and had lots of boardgames. But I guess in winter it aint wise to walk even that far.

(It had definetly gotten pretty big lately, and ended up prompting the owner to get a newer and bigger location to be able to fit all the games in.)

So to update anyone interested, the store GameKnight Games and Cool Stuff which was formerly on St. Marys, is now located on Osborne just past the bridge when heading north.
They've defienetly gotten bigger lately, and its worth checking out if you're in the area, they have lots of different kinds of games.

Pity about Jogo though, I got a Agricola game there once, probably just before they went out of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osborne? Which bridge? Do you mean in Osborne South/Ft. Rouge or in the village?

I'll definitely drop in next time I'm in the 'Peg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |