Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

I'm looking to visit London sometime in March with my son, and I was wondering which London games shop is the one to visit. Criterion:

1. fairly central
2. Wide range of stock including wargames and Euros
3. has the WOW! factor ie an Aladdin's Cave of boardgames.

Does such a place exist?

Thanks in advance ... Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orc's Nest and Playin' Games are both central, while Leisuregames has the best range of stock and gets closest to a WOW.

All depends on your definition of central and WOW, I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My own query (and responses):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/309774

Related London question (and responses) concerning food options:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/311645

Summary:
Orc's Nest has a lot and has advertised in Dragon forever, but feels a bit like being on part of a submarine.

Playin' Games has many games, and the good stuff is in the basement, but no place to play and I didn't get a sense of comraderie.

I didn't get out to Leisure Games, it was too far distant and didn't fit our schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe of more interest might be the location of Playin' Games. They are in Museum Street, directly opposite the British Museum, so depending on the age and interests of your son, you may want to double up and do both places on the same day.

I have always felt that all games shops in London, over many years, have all lacked a little something. Too much looking for the sale, not enough looking for the relationship. Shame, but I guess that is the way of the world nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Chris said.

Playin' Games is in a fascinating part of London. The basement is a (relatively speaking) Aladdin's Cave.

The British Museum is well worth a visit. Also check out the antiquarian bookshop round the corner from Playin' Games with its window display of books with mad titles - you'll know what I mean when you see it.

You could also seek out the Lamb & Flag pub in Lamb's Conduit Street, about 10 minutes' walk from playing games - a beautiful wee pub with original victorian 'snob screens'.

Leisure Games is a better shop with a wider selection of games (particularly wargames) but it is quite a trek out of the centre of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I no longer maintain the uk.games.board FAQ list (it turned into a Wiki here somewhere) which listed UK games shops, I may not be as up to date as I was, but there are others. If in Greenwich, try Compendium. (Don't go to Greenwhich for it, but the National Maritime Museum is free and excellent, and there's the Observatory, and the ships - though what state is the Cutty Sark in? - and more.) Did the small shop in Camden market survive the fire there? Very small, and mostly of interest for puzzles, but again if there (less to recommend from me) pop in. I'm not sure what else there is (And So It Begins folded for one.)

But the Leisure Games (good, more remote), Orc's Nest (smaller, slightly more central), Playin' Games (right by British Museum) advice is the standard one. I'll just add that the ON is better than PG for a few things (figure wargames rules for one) while PG is better on board games.

And there are a few board games in Forbidden Planet, so if buying Fantasy/SF books, try there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure games is probably the best 'games' shop in the inner london area and probably worth the trip out to East Finchley - you'll probably have that covered by your tube ticket if you ask.

Probably best to check out Leisure games' web site first to see if it stocks good you want to buy/fondle... also try to find out if Angus still works there!

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
... also try to find out if Angus still works there!
If someone isn't misusing his name, he still works there, as the weekly update of new and restocked games e-mail is signed with his name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Graham
United Kingdom
Goudhurst
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Did the small shop in Camden market survive the fire there? Very small, and mostly of interest for puzzles, but again if there (less to recommend from me) pop in.
It wasn't touched, the fire seemed more impressive from a distance than it was actually destructive. I was out for dinner near Mornington Crescent that night, it was certainly a show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at "Playing Games" last weekend, as recommended also downstairs, and I was really not impressed. Maybe Germany is gaming store arcadia... but what I saw there was not different from any german district capital gaming store. Everything else I visited was breathtaking though.
To see the Lewis chessmen upclose.... :surprise:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, oops, WOW
Goldenturkey wrote:
Leisure games is probably the best 'games' shop in the inner london area and probably worth the trip out to East Finchley - you'll probably have that covered by your tube ticket if you ask.
Probably best to check out Leisure games' web site first to see if it stocks good you want to buy/fondle... also try to find out if Angus still works there!
CHRIS
Errrr, you won't find LEISURE GAMES in East Finchley. Go to FINCHLEY CENTRAL on the tube, plus a three minute walk, definitely worth it. meeple
Angus left recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls