Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm travelling to SF & NY later this week and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the best of the best games stores in these cities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't directly help you, but here's a good thread to start with:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot - thats a great help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in San Francisco, but Endgame is my favorite store in the Bay Area. It's in Oakland which is not far from SF at all. If you are here on a Wednesday they have open gaming starting around 6 until midnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
It's not in San Francisco, but Endgame is my favorite store in the Bay Area. It's in Oakland which is not far from SF at all. If you are here on a Wednesday they have open gaming starting around 6 until midnight.

Endgame is fantastic! Was there a couple weeks ago, great selection and some nice older games. I picked up the French version of Dune for $35. Very happy with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Endgame recommendation.

I've not lived in the Bay Area for about 8 years now, but I do still frequent some stores:

Game Kastle
(1350 Coleman Ave., Santa Clara) by the San Jose Airport. EXCELLENT selection of games - one of the best I've seen in all my years of scouring Game stores.

Legends - In Oakridge Mall in San Jose. Decent selection of games.

These are the only two I KNOW are still there. Others in the area that may or may not be still around:

D&J Hobby and Crafts
Campbell, 96 San Tomas Aquino Road - Campbell. Had a great selection of games at one time. I haven't been there in years though.

Gamescape - Palo Alto. I think this one has since closed up but there still may be the store in San Rafael (Marin?) with the same name.
(Gamescape - San Rafael, 1225 Fourth Street)

Gator Games
San Mateo, 4212 Olympic Ave - Good selection - small store but lots crammed in there.

You can also check out this webisite: http://www.spotlightongames.com/list/bayarea.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:

Yes, Endgame is great. Also not in San Francisco, but Games of Berkeley is a great East Bay location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Game Kastle
(1350 Coleman Ave., Santa Clara) by the San Jose Airport. EXCELLENT selection of games - one of the best I've seen in all my years of scouring Game stores.

Since moving to their new location they've done a great job of stocking a bunch of titles. I've seen a lot of game stores in the Bay Area come and go going back to the early 80s, but can't think of any that ever topped Game Kastle in terms of number of titles and large stock.

Having said that, its a stock of fairly new titles - if its in print or recently in print they've likely got it. Including some current releases not often carried elsewhere - got Viktory II there, something I couldn't find at most online shops. But its not a place to go for anything remotely out of print.

Quote:
Legends - In Oakridge Mall in San Jose. Decent selection of games.

Also one in Valco Mall. Good selection for a mall store, but nothing worth making an out of town trip for, although they do also have a decent selection of collectibles (action figures, pop culture statues).

Quote:
Others in the area that may or may not be still around:

D&J Hobby and Crafts
Campbell, 96 San Tomas Aquino Road - Campbell. Had a great selection of games at one time. I haven't been there in years though.

Selection has definitely gone downhill over the years. Can't believe the store I got my SFB fix from, that I picked up oddball gems like S.F.3.D. from, is now reduced to this. Still a fair selection of mostly newer stuff, but its no longer a place to find older gems and doesn't quite stay current enough to rely on for new releases near their release date. I get the impression this store, under economic pressures, has fixated on their primary income source of RC vehicles.

Quote:
Gamescape - Palo Alto. I think this one has since closed up but there still may be the store in San Rafael (Marin?) with the same name.

Gone but not forgotten. One of the last stores to stock used games, and they had a great selection of new games. Game Kastle is a better mix for the latter, but Gamescape Palo Alto had a certain charm that will be missed. Probably my last "you still have this in stock?" moment at a game store was at Gamescape Palo Alto.

Gamescape San Francisco is still in business, but each time I make it up to the city it seems their variety diminishes. Maybe I'm just getting old and am not as easily impressed as I used to be, but I can't name a time in the past 5 years I've seen them have something on the shelf I wanted.

Quote:
Gator Games
San Mateo, 4212 Olympic Ave - Good selection - small store but lots crammed in there.

Crammed is right. The place has less than half the floor space of Game Kastle, but a comparable selection. And they aren't hell bent on clearing out unsold stock, which means some nice older game finds can still be had there (picked up the final deluxe edition of Car Wars there two years back, new in shrink for MSRP). If you're looking for a place to play, this place is way too cramped and I'd give the nod to Game Kastle. But in terms of selection - specifically "can't just find these on any of a dozen websites or other game stores" titles - I have to give the nod to Gator Games. This is definitely a store to hit if you are ever in the area and like to browse, and possibly the only remaining game store in the area I can go to and not immediately get that bored "got it, got it, seen it already" feeling.

For those in the Berserkly area, Games of Berkeley is a great shop and the only other Bay Area store (haven't hit Endgame yet, Oakland is too far out of my way) to match Kastle or Gator in terms of selection. Just up the street from there is Eudemonia, which has a lesser (but still fairly good) selection of games but IMO is a better place to play due to the table layouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty much the only game store in ny (assuming you mean manhattan) now that neutral ground closed down is compleat strategist:

The Compleat Strategist New York City Location
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880
Hours: Monday-Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks everybody. Thats an absolutely great help. I'll try and get to Endgame since most of you reckon its the business.

Thanks for all your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to, but my wife would kick my a$$!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls