Subject: Is this Heaven? No, its Ticket to Ride: Iowa... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently completed and uploaded my own user-created map - Ticket to Ride: Iowa. I based it on the US and Switzerland maps. It contains 64 destination tickets which includes states to states and cities to states.

I know the state of Iowa doesn't get your blood a boilin' but I'd love any feedback anybody has... links below.

Picture of map -->http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic417448.jpg
Files -->http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/38267
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool, but any changes besides cosmetic? Heaven may be a bit much :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map looks really nice - well done! Variants like this could be a great way to teach kids about local geography.

If DoW was smart, they'd get into that as a side business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looks cool, but any changes besides cosmetic?
Not a lot of changes... main thing is that I added the surrounding states à la Switzerland expansion.

Quote:
Heaven may be a bit much :p
Haven't seen the movie Field of Dreams?!? Its a classic.

Quote:
Variants like this could be a great way to teach kids about local geography.
Funny you would say that. I'm actually a 4th grade teacher and plan on using it in my Social Studies class. Days of Wonder would be smart in making some educational games like Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Klein
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing your map earlier (nice work by the way), I was mentioning to my wife that making a map might be a good project for middle school age or older kids. Research the history of an area to learn where train routes were. Use some math to figure out how to make a map that's balanced. Learning to use image software to make the map. If reasonable visit the area (I was thinking of a local Minnesota-Wisconsin map, with links to Iowa of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Would you have a version of the full map in a higher resolution than the one in the photo gallery? I can GeekMail you my email address where you can send the file, if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
The map looks really nice - well done! Variants like this could be a great way to teach kids about local geography.

Hell if it got popular enough it could be a whole 'nother game to get the Everything-Opoly treatment. I suppose "Ticket to Ride: Dog" would be a little hard to fathom, but anything based on a geographical location would work.

And then Ticket to Ride can be the game we all complain about being the only thing people have ever heard of and how there are so many better games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
Nice work! Would you have a version of the full map in a higher resolution than the one in the photo gallery? I can GeekMail you my email address where you can send the file, if you do.

I have my .PSD (Photoshop format) still with the layers still intact. The resolution is 72 pixels per inch and the file is 42.3 MB. Let me know anybody who wants it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
RJSim4 wrote:
I have my .PSD (Photoshop format) still with the layers still intact. The resolution is 72 pixels per inch and the file is 42.3 MB. Let me know anybody who wants it.

If the original is only 72ppi, then I don't think it would make any difference. I use an online service for printing big maps like this (www.bigphotohelp.com) and they recommend 150ppi as a minimum for best results, which is why I asked about a higher resolution image. But since I will be having it printed at its original size, it should still turn out reasonably well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns   The Fearsome Foes  The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.             AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
RJSim4 wrote:
Quote:
Heaven may be a bit much
Haven't seen the movie Field of Dreams?!? Its a classic.
It's too bad Dyersville isn't on the map!

Although, if you split the Dubuque-Waterloo route you could probably squeeze it in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably buy Ticket to Ride sometime. My printable boards and my makeshift "trains" are good for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how did you decide how many trains were between each city and which ones were double routes? this could be fun to make a texas one, but i'd need a bit of info about how you did it. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I think it's a bit clever. I did 3 years in Iowa in Jr High and I have family in and near Waterloo and in Iowa City. Nice to see them on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice looking map RJ.thumbsup

We have a partial list of links to player-designed Ticket to Ride maps on the Days of Wonder website at Ticket to Ride Fan Contributions page. Let me know if you would like me to ask our webmaster to add it the link there.

There is another set of user designed Ticket to Ride maps at http://www.naturelich.com/games/archives/ticket_to_ride/unof.... He has not updated the page in a while, but you may want to send him a note to see if he would like to include yours as well on his website.

Mark Kaufmann bluetrain
mark@daysofwonder.com
www.daysofwonder.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usta Playalot
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never seen the words "Iowa" and "heaven" in the same sentence before. Having lived there, I've gotta confirm that there's a reason for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THORBOY wrote:
how did you decide how many trains were between each city and which ones were double routes? this could be fun to make a texas one, but i'd need a bit of info about how you did it. thanks

I decided how many trains between each city by what fit it there. If two fit, I put two in. I was short on longer routes so I had to go back and move some things around to make longer ones fit.

As for the double routes, it was pretty random. If the city was important, I made sure to have a double routes. That way in a 4-player more people could get to the important cities easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make destination tickets, or are you planning on making some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiznillz wrote:
Did you make destination tickets, or are you planning on making some?

I did make destination tickets - 64 of 'em. They are in the downloads along with the map. See the original post for link.

Here is a sample of the cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumbs up from this Iowa boy...looks great. Go Hawks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerhead wrote:
I've never seen the words "Iowa" and "heaven" in the same sentence before. Having lived there, I've gotta confirm that there's a reason for that!

Actually, I saw bumper stickers in an Iowa visitor center that said something like "Iowa: The closest thing to heaven"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time I had started making my own version of Ticket To Ride: Illinois. I thought my mock-up looked pretty good, but to be honest it looks horrible and ameteurish compared to your Iowa map. Great job!

As an Iowa Falls native I was happy to see my hometown on the map. I was perplexed that there was no route from Iowa Falls to Waterloo (seeing as U.S. Highway 20 goes completely across the state), but figured it might have been removed for game balance/play purposes.

I'll give TTR: Iowa a try and let you know what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
aerhead wrote:

Actually, I saw bumper stickers in an Iowa visitor center that said something like "Iowa: The closest thing to heaven"

The reference is to the famous line from the movie Field of Dreams where "Shoeless" Joe Jackson comes out of the cornfield and asks Kevin Costner's character, "Is this heaven?" To which Kevin's character replies, "No. It's Iowa."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
DancerInDC wrote:

Hell if it got popular enough it could be a whole 'nother game to get the Everything-Opoly treatment. I suppose "Ticket to Ride: Dog" would be a little hard to fathom, but anything based on a geographical location would work.

And then Ticket to Ride can be the game we all complain about being the only thing people have ever heard of and how there are so many better games out there. :D

Could be based on the dog's vascular system. Player's "trains" are instead RBC, WBC, Hgb, or any other blood component. Not physiologically accurate (since all components can always travel together) but possible variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone is interested I uploaded the files into ArtsCow. The aspect ratio is a bit off so there is some clipping, but a lot easier to use than self-printing.

http://www.artscow.com/share/93d7slpj4cj7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tanner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcrowell wrote:
In case anyone is interested I uploaded the files into ArtsCow. The aspect ratio is a bit off so there is some clipping, but a lot easier to use than self-printing.

http://www.artscow.com/share/93d7slpj4cj7

Great idea, though I see what you mean about clipping. Probably a ton of work to resize for their print size as well. But thanks for doing that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |