Subject: HAVE A RULES QUESTION? READ THIS FIRST! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
RIGHT! (*Making the sound of a fist banging on the table*)

It is with increasing anxiety that I have seen that rules discussions for this game are devolving into a state of anarchy where noone is actually certain anymore what constitutes the correct interpretation of the rules. The reasons for this are numerous, and I won't waste time naming them; they're also besides the point. What we (as gamers) need, are clear and unambiguous answers to any issues we might have, no matter whether they're silly, complex, obvious, and more so that we can all work on defeating Wu-Feng in the knowledge that we at least are playing by the same rules.

I therefore propose that in this thread we start collecting all rules questions we may have, and send them off to Antoine Bauza for him to mull over in one fell swoop. He is active on these forums, and so might even respond directly, although for reasons of clarity it might be best if the answers are bundled into a nice PDF for easy reference. Also, because there have been issues with the language barrier, I ('we'!) would appreciate it greatly if people fluent in French and English come to the rescue.

Therefore: If you have a rules question, no matter how silly, please post it here. Also, please do not answer the questions here---even if you are certain you know the right answer---this thread is just here for collection puprposes. If you can, state your problem in French; it will be easier for Antoine.

Later edit: while this thread has been very successful in clearing up a large number of complex and thorny issues---many thanks to all who contributed, especially Antoine---my qualifier 'silly' may have been too broad a term. Although it is hard to say what exactly constitutes a silly question, please try to keep them from becoming 'genuinely obvious'. Which, admittedly, is as vague as silly, but nevertheless I hope I got the point across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
If a player dies and is then later resurrected by another player, does his special ability return with him as well?

If a player undertakes a double exorcism, can he use the tao obtained from one ghost to defeat the other?

Can you use your yin-yang in the midst of an exorcism? And in case of a double exorcism?

If a player uses a power token to copy the green power 'Strength of the Mountain', how many times may he ignore or reroll the tormentor die in his Yang phase? (For example, when he succesfully exorcises two ghosts at the same time, both of which require rolling of the tormentor die.)

What happens when a ghost with the tormentor die on its left stone is placed on the neutral but not yet possessed green board? Is the tormentor die rolled or not, and who suffers the consequences?

What happens with a tormentor during the yin phase on the neutral but not yet possessed green board? Is the tormentor die rolled or not, and who suffers the consequences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good initiative!

If there is a tao token on the enfeeblement villager (can't remember its name) and it's flipped over because of a haunt, and then flipped back, does the tao token go back or is the enfeeblement returned to neutral?

Likewise, if the taoist with the enfeeblement mantra har her power stolen, and then later returned, is the enfeeblement mantra returned to where is was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exaclty when am I allowed to user power tokens? E.g.: I try to excorcise a ghost, but do not succeed. Can I now use my power token to activate the blue "attack twice" ability and try again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If a neutral board is full, does it lose Qi even if you draw no ghost that would go on it?

If all 12 slots are full, do you draw and discard a ghost, or lose one Qi and skip the draw entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Exaclty when am I allowed to user power tokens? E.g.: I try to excorcise a ghost, but do not succeed. Can I now use my power token to activate the blue "attack twice" ability and try again?

Yes, you can !
Because you can use a Power token anytime during your Yang phase

Antoine

PS : a updated rulebook is coming soon, please be patient, Repos Prod is currently releasing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
If a neutral board is full, does it lose Qi even if you draw no ghost that would go on it?

Yes, A full board looses 1 Qi, even if you don't draw a card for it
(page 9, right column)

gschmidl wrote:

If all 12 slots are full, do you draw and discard a ghost, or lose one Qi and skip the draw entirely?

You don't draw but lose 1 Qi
(page 4, right column, bottom)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
If a player dies and is then later resurrected by another player, does his special ability return with him as well?

Yes

cymric wrote:

If a player undertakes a double exorcism, can he use the tao obtained from one ghost to defeat the other?

No

cymric wrote:

Can you use your yin-yang in the midst of an exorcism? And in case of a double exorcism?

you cannot use it in the middle of an exorcim but you can use between the two exorcismes of the blue taoist

cymric wrote:

If a player uses a power token to copy the green power 'Strength of the Mountain', how many times may he ignore or reroll the tormentor die in his Yang phase? (For example, when he succesfully exorcises two ghosts at the same time, both of which require rolling of the tormentor die.

The reroll is avaliable durint all the Yang phase
You have to roll the Curse Die for each ghost.

cymric wrote:

What happens when a ghost with the tormentor die on its left stone is placed on the neutral but not yet possessed green board? Is the tormentor die rolled or not, and who suffers the consequences?

Curse Die is rolled and it's applied to the neutral board.
I'm not sure to understand : "Curse Die" are on the central or right stone only...

cymric wrote:

What happens with a tormentor during the yin phase on the neutral but not yet possessed green board? Is the tormentor die rolled or not, and who suffers the consequences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Good initiative!
If there is a tao token on the enfeeblement villager (can't remember its name) and it's flipped over because of a haunt, and then flipped back, does the tao token go back or is the enfeeblement returned to neutral?

The tile returns to neutral, you have to take the action.

Zimeon wrote:

Likewise, if the taoist with the enfeeblement mantra har her power stolen, and then later returned, is the enfeeblement mantra returned to where is was?

Nope, you have to put it back in play on your turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
toinito wrote:
cymric wrote:
If a player uses a power token to copy the green power 'Strength of the Mountain', how many times may he ignore or reroll the tormentor die in his Yang phase? (For example, when he succesfully exorcises two ghosts at the same time, both of which require rolling of the tormentor die.
The reroll is avaliable durint all the Yang phase
You have to roll the Curse Die for each ghost.
Just to be absolutely certain: when you invoke green's power---or are green yourself for that matter---then that power can be used as many times as required during the Yang phase. In other words, in my example you can ignore both 'parting curses', correct?

cymric wrote:
I'm not sure to understand : "Curse Die" are on the central or right stone only..
Apologies, I had not realised this, and attempted to generalise the matter.

Thanks a million for answering so far. Keep them questions coming, gents and ladies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Just to be absolutely certain: when you invoke green's power---or are green yourself for that matter---then that power can be used as many times as required during the Yang phase. In other words, in my example you can ignore both 'parting curses', correct?

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:

I'm not sure to understand : "Curse Die" are on the central or right stone only...

I'm not sure it matters but Uncatchable has a curse die on the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Wu-Feng can have it on the left, but he is the boss, right ?
The Cruse Die rule stays the same for him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:
mavo wrote:

Yes, you can !

How does that work with abilities that has to be used at a specific time?

Can you do an exorcism and then use a power token to use red's power to fly somewhere else? (and use another power token to use blue's ability to do another exorcism at a different location)

Can you use yellow's ability to pick up a tao token after you do an exorcism?

After rolling the dice for an exorcism (and failing), can you then use a power token to use the green's ability to do a re-roll of the failed exorcism (note you are not blue in this case).

Thanks for the answers so far. I've have been playing the power tokens with more restrictions than necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:

How does that work with abilities that has to be used at a specific time?

Can you do an exorcism and then use a power token to use red's power to fly somewhere else? (and use another power token to use blue's ability to do another exorcism at a different location)

Can you use yellow's ability to pick up a tao token after you do an exorcism?

After rolling the dice for an exorcism (and failing), can you then use a power token to use the green's ability to do a re-roll of the failed exorcism (note you are not blue in this case).

Thanks for the answers so far. I've have been playing the power tokens with more restrictions than necessary.

You have to follow the rules for the powers (timing)
Green's power is specific special because it can be applied several times during the Yang phase.
Using Red power is during the movement phase, always.
Using Yellow power is just after the movement, etc...
(you cannot move again by using the power token...)

In your exemple, you cannot spend the power token to reroll, because you are in the middle of an action (an exorcism). If you are Blue Taosit, you have 2 separate/distinct exorcisms, so you can sped a power token between the 2...

I hope I am clear blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I think that you mean 'special' instead of 'specific' when you mentioned Green's power, but I think the main gist of your answer is clear enough. Check for the restrictions when using a certain power---during movement, after movement, during an action, and so forth---and if the power you intend to use conflicts with those restrictions, you can't use it at that time. Nevertheless, it's a tricky issue best clarified with lots of examples. You've already named a few; especially the Blue example is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:

Again, it may not matter, but the books says Yellow takes its token before movement.

I don't mean to be a stickler but all of these casual inaccuracies have a compounding effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
toinito wrote:

Again, it may not matter, but the books says Yellow takes its token before movement.

I don't mean to be a stickler but all of these casual inaccuracies have a compounding effect.

BEFORE !
Trust the rulebook, not my english...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:

BEFORE !
Trust the rulebook, not my english...

I'm sorry but I don't trust the rulebook. That's the problem.

I'm just quoting what it says and want to make sure you agree with what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No

What a pity! We played that you can kill one, get the tao tokens, and use them to kill the other ghost.. now it gets even harder...

Quote:

Antoine, you said I can use the yin yang in between two attacks, if the blue taoist special power is used. If I fight two ghosts in the corners without this special power - then I am not allowed to use a yin-yang during combat, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Antoine, you said I can use the yin yang in between two attacks, if the blue taoist special power is used. If I fight two ghosts in the corners without this special power - then I am not allowed to use a yin-yang during combat, right?

That's right.
In that case, it's one exorcism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't trust the rulebook. That's the problem.

I'm just quoting what it says and want to make sure you agree with what it says.

No problem, Daniel.
I am the first to admit that the rulebook is not on top...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:
Yes, you can !
You can even use a power token to obtain a tao token (yellow power) at the end of your turn (which even yellow could not do)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
toinito wrote:
Yes, you can !
You can even use a power token to obtain a tao token (yellow power) at the end of your turn (which even yellow could not do)?

Not to step in and cause a misunderstanding, but he indicated above that you have to respect the timing of the power. In the case of yellow, the special ability has to be used before movement -- so the power token would have to be used before movement.

The way we think about the power token is just to pretend like we are that color for the instance in which the power is invoked. Thus, to invoke yellow it is before movement, red is in movement, blue is in the action phase, and green is special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steinley wrote:
The way we think about the power token is just to pretend like we are that color for the instance in which the power is invoked. Thus, to invoke yellow it is before movement, red is in movement, blue is in the action phase, and green is special.
Yeah, that sounds like the simplest approach. "By spending a power token and selecting a neutral board, you acquire all the powers of that board for the remainder of your turn." There.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |