United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
Stranger New Worlds is the title of the world's rarest Talisman expansion. The one and only copy in existence was hand made and presented to me in 1988 by my three children, with a great deal of help from their Mom (my wife). The story of how it came to be may not be interesting to anyone outside the family, but I'm going to tell it anyway just in case.

1988 started out as a great year with the birth of my youngest son in February, but took a turn for the worse six weeks later when I injured my knee while playing basketball. This led to surgery and six months of therapy before I could walk again without crutches. I didn't have a sit-down job then, and between lack of work and big medical bills the budget was very tight. As Father's Day approached, I gave strict instructions that no money was to be spent on presents for me - homemade cards would suffice. Little did I realize that the cards my family set out to make would turn out to be beyond price.

I played lots of games with my kids, and Talisman was a huge favorite with them. There were several expansions out at that point, and the kids had wanted to get me a new one, but I had ruled that out. So they determined to make an expansion themselves. Each of the three older kids came up with ideas for four new characters, two new adventure cards and two new spells.

My 15 year old daughter needed no help, but my 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter had Mom print the required text on the cards. She also made the box cover and drew all the card backs in the appropriate colors for the adventures and spells. The names, artwork, and the ideas behind the cards they did by themselves.

All this was done secretly, and I was totally surprised to get my custom made Talisman Expansion on Father's Day. I've gotten hundreds of games as gifts over the years, but never one as special as Stranger New Worlds. I've uploaded 5 images in case anyone else would like to see what the set looks like, or even make their own set. Maybe I'm not the only one who wants to be the Walking Frog and cast a Valley Girl spell on the Crazed Barber!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Stranger New Worlds
George,

Fantastic! Top story.

Regards
Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Stranger New Worlds
Thank you, Neil! The pictures are now up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously thats beautiful I teared up reading it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phenomenal story!

I love the pic of the twiddle bug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the kind words. Seeing this bubble up to the top, I wonder why I didn't include links to the images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Awsome story, amazing what boardgames brings out of families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this years later, it occurs to me that I might have said a couple of things more clearly. First, I have 4 children altogether - the older 3 made the game for me (the youngest was still a baby). Second, the name "Stranger New Worlds" was undoubtedly the result of the kids having enjoyed another game we played in those days, Strange New Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words. Seeing this bubble up to the top, I wonder why I didn't include links to the images:

whistle FT4"Greater Viewing"-NOW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
whistle FT4"Greater Viewing"-NOW

Thanks Grogs. A blind man could see 'em now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this thread, beautiful story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.