Subject: Stores in Mpls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got three days in Minneapolis in a couple weeks. Any stores I absolutely need to visit? How 'bout downtown restaurant recommendations while we're at it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend The Source, in Falcon Heights. It is one of the best hobby and game shops I've ever been in. A must-visit location.

1601 West Larpenteur Ave
Falcon Heights, MN 55113 USA
651-645-0386
651-644-0922 (FAX)

Store Hours: Mon to Sat 10 - 9,
Sunday 12 - 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's wrong but I read "Stores in Mpls?" as "Stores in Meeples."

Who's with me on that?

Cheers!

Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me.

Yeah, it's the Source you want to check out. Great store. Like any FLGS, you're not going to get games at very cheap prices though, but they have an excellent establishment with friendly, mostly knowledgeable folks (Chad or Burle is who you want to speak to about Board games, usually) - and a great selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usta Playalot
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I know it's wrong but I read "Stores in Mpls?" as "Stores in Meeples."

Who's with me on that?

Cheers!

Donald

Dammit! I came here to say that! A pox upon thee, ye scurvy dog! arrrh Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restaurants? I have heard that Fogo De Chao (I think I spelled that right) is the best steak experience in the state of Minnesota. If you are looking for something cheaper and you like pubs, I think The Local is the best choice downtown. Ichiban is great for hibachi and sushi. Just south of downtown (about a mile), there is "Eat Street", which is full of good restaurants. My favorite is Quang, a Vietnamese place. The Bad Waitress may appeal to the gamer in you. They have tables named after comic book characters and movie monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FiddlersGreen wrote:
Restaurants? I have heard that Fogo De Chao (I think I spelled that right) is the best steak experience in the state of Minnesota. If you are looking for something cheaper and you like pubs, I think The Local is the best choice downtown. Ichiban is great for hibachi and sushi. Just south of downtown (about a mile), there is "Eat Street", which is full of good restaurants. My favorite is Quang, a Vietnamese place. The Bad Waitress may appeal to the gamer in you. They have tables named after comic book characters and movie monsters.

Fogo is not really a "steak" restaurant - it's more a "various types of meat brought on spits and cut at your table" restaurant.

If you want steak, my favorites are Morton's or Capital Grille. Many like Manny's, but I am not as sold on it.

Agreed that the Local is a decent pub type place - Lyons, Ike's, and 8th Street are not terrible either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restaurants I'd recommend downtown:

Manny's if you want to spend a bunch on a quality steak dinner. My bachelor party dinner was here, it was legendary. 8th and Marquette is their new location.

Oceanaire for a top-drawer seafood night. In the Hyatt just south of 12th and Nicollet Mall.

Origami for sushi. In the Warehouse District at 1st St and 1st Ave N.

If you'll have a car and are willing to venture out across the river, Restaurant Alma in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood is one of my faves (contemporary American is what I'd call it). It's at the corner of University Ave and 6th Ave SE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fogo de Chao (at 7th and Hennepin downtown) is indeed awesome. My girlfriend took me there for my birthday last year, it was pretty sweet. Just make sure to not eat the rest of the day to prepare!

Right around the corner, on 6th Street between Hennepin and Nicollet, is my favorite steakhouse in existence, Murray's. It's remained pretty much the same since 1946.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the restaurant suggestions above are excellent, and downtown like you asked. Someone else pointed out Eat Street, which is just south of downtown. I'd also throw out Uptown, which is a bit further south of downtown, and has a number of good restaurants including Chino Latino.

But, when I have guests in town I like to take them to have something that I'm pretty sure is unique to Minnesota cuisine.

So if you're going to be out and about to go to the Source anyway I would recommend venturing out for a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar, where it was supposedly invented. I have had a number of Jucy's around town and that is my favorite one so far. Matt's is a dive, the food and beer are inexpensive, and the decor is from a few decades ago, so it may not be for everyone. But everyone I've brought there has loved it.

I will also add, though I haven't been there myself, that The Nook just won the Minneapolis/St Paul Magazine award for Best Hamburger in 2008.

492 Hamline Ave S
St Paul, MN 55116
(651) 698-4347

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm many choices, I'll list off some options for you.

For a game store, try to get to The Source. It has a large selection of games and comics for all your needs.

1601 Larpenteur Ave W, St Paul

For restaurants you have many options, a lot of it depends on how much you want to spend.

I prefer Murray's for a steak house. It's an old school dinner club that hasn't been touched in decades, try the silver butterknife steak.

26 S 6th St

Solera is a nice Spanish tapas place, with a great wine selection, but can be pricey. If you're going, try to get a seat by the chefs, and ask for their recommendations.

900 Hennepin Ave

For pubs try the Local, it offers decent pub food and drinks. I’d recommend their fish and chips or salads and a big ginger. The best part about the Local is you can find a private place to sit with friends, but it can be busy with the after work crowd. A couple blocks down the street is Brits, a similar pub style place. It’s not bad, and has good specials on Sunday mornings.

931 Nicollet Mall

A bit further away, which can make for a cold walk, are a couple of other good places I’d recommend. Salsa a la Salsa is a good Mexican place, excellent carne asada and margaritas. Next door to it is Market Barbeque, which operates the only smoker in downtown Minneapolis, they have some excellent ribs. Sit in the bar and enjoy watching the neighborhood drunks.

1414 Nicollet Ave

Try Pizza Luce for some excellent and unique pizzas. This is also the best place to get pizza delivered from downtown.

119 N 4th ST

Take a cab across the river to Nye’s Polonaise, an old style Polish night club. Go late and try to sit in one of the booths in the main lounge for the best time. The small adjacent bar contains the world’s oldest polka band, and is worth a visit.

112 E Hennepin Ave

If you have a night to go out and get drinks, grab a cab and head to Psycho Suzi’s. Its a couple miles outside of downtown, but this tiki bar is definitely worth a visit, with amazing tiki drinks. They also serve pizzas and Minnesota bar food like fried cheese curds.

2519 Marshall St NE

If you have any preferences I can make other recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source is indeed the store you absolutely must visit. I don't think others mentioned it, but it also features a fairly extensive stock of comics and graphic novels as well as anime. Plan on allowing yourself a couple hours for browsing!

When you're asking for restaurant recommendations, you might want to consider your price range. While all of the above suggestions are great, Manny's, Oceanaire and Fogo de Chao are all higher-end options that can average out at around $70 - $100 a person. If cost is not an issue and you're looking for the experience, however, then by all means have at it.

I would also add Hell's Kitchen to the list, particularly for Sunday brunch (80 S 9th St, Minneapolis, MN 55402, (612) 332-4700); but if the wait is prohibitively long, Key's is an excellent alternative (a half-block away down 9th).

And as someone else mentioned, Eat Street (essentially, Nicollet Avenue running south out of downtown) has a wealth of great places. The India House, Market Bar-B-Que and New Jerusalem are all within walking distance of each other at 14th and 15th Avenue (and are indicative of their genre). A bit further at 26th you will find Azia, which is an amazing Latin-Asian fusion restaurant with the Anemoni Sushi & Oyster Bar attached to it, and diagonally across the intersection is the Black Forest Inn, with a great offering of traditional German fare.

Have a great weekend visit! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, people.

Very cool (and I'm sure upsetting to purists) that this site can assist in my culinary adventures out-of-town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, The Source is simply one of the best FLGS you'll ever visit. I travel a lot as well (in SanDiego as I type) and I simply have yet to find one that beats The Source (though I'm sure they exist somewhere). Otherwise, Chaos Games in in the tredy Uptown area which is very close to the Downtown area. Uptown is also home to Chino Latino, Bar Abilene, The Independent, and lots of trendy shops. Downtown just doesn't really attract a huge amount of traffic from locals anymore. But Fogo is easily the best of the bunch down there. It's a chain place, but if you don't have one in your town or have never tried one, it's a must.

Also, near Uptown you have Monster Den (great if you're a Magic player), and newly relocated Dream Haven books which caters just to sci-fi and fantasy. Great place to find rare books!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk DeWester
United States
Columbia Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like sushi Origami is the only way to go. It's expensive but fan fing tastic. The Sample Room in Northeast Mpls. is another great spot. Also pretty spendy.

Don't go to Monsters Den unless you want to hang out with a bunch of stinky MTG and video game players. They have no real selection of any gaming items beyong MTG and some CMG stuff. I'm not a Magic guy so I view it from that perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree on the Hell's Kitchen recommendation!

Also:

King and I Thai (does it still exist?)

JD Hoyts (was across the street from my school at the time - NOT because it's next to the Vu hehehe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chino Latino is a fun restaurant. I'll second that.
Make sure you take a GPS though. When I was there (a while ago I admit) it had hardly any signage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You've come to the right place!
The Twin Cities are a hub of gaming.

Here are my recommendations:

Good pub/restaurant for a gamer:

Chatterbox http://www.chatterboxpub.net/

It has classic board games and vintage video games (Nintendo, Sega, etc.) you can check out or play either for free or for a buck or two. Fun place in a residential area south of downtown. Pub grub is pretty good, too. Branches in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Other game stores:

Universe Games in Richfield, a suburb, http://www.universegames.com/
Tower Games 4807 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis, (612) 823-4477
Dreamers 3008 Texas Ave S, St Louis Park (suburb), (952) 938-8163

They're not as big as the Source (a place I love), but they're worth checking out if you have more time. Among other things, Tower and the Source do a lot of minis -- terrain tables and such.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Universe is closed, but Choas in Uptown is their "sister store" and i still open. It's run very much the same way and usually have a decent selection of the newest BG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding restaurants:

If you want to experience the best food in Minneapolis that you won't find anywhere else:

Vincent on Nicollet - French
Solera on Hennepin - Tapas
Lurcat in Loring Park - "American"
Evergreen on Nicollet - Taiwanese
La Belle Vie at 510 Groveland - French
Cheng Heng on University - Cambodian

Fogo de Chao is a tourist trap. I'm pretty much guessing you can get pub food anywhere. Manny's is top-notch steak but way overrated. Oceanaire is good but you're buying seafood in the a land-locked state for God's sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are curious about game nights at local stores, The Source has boardgaming Friday nights from about 7PM - 2AM, and Dreamers has boardgaming Tuesday from 6PM-10PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Universe Games closed in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Universe closed?

Oh, no!
I was looking forward to going there when I move back to Minneapolis.
I haven't even been gone that long.
Dropping like flies, they are.
(Though Chaos is new to me.)

Thanks for the info, in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kennylibido wrote:
Regarding restaurants:

If you want to experience the best food in Minneapolis that you won't find anywhere else:

Vincent on Nicollet - French
Solera on Hennepin - Tapas
Lurcat in Loring Park - "American"
Evergreen on Nicollet - Taiwanese
La Belle Vie at 510 Groveland - French
Cheng Heng on University - Cambodian

Fogo de Chao is a tourist trap. I'm pretty much guessing you can get pub food anywhere. Manny's is top-notch steak but way overrated. Oceanaire is good but you're buying seafood in the a land-locked state for God's sake.

I believe the OP's couple of weeks from the date of his post is well past due. Good suggestions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kennylibido wrote:
Fogo de Chao is a tourist trap.

Dammit, Kenny, I've lived here my whole life and I love it. Jerk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |