Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

UFO Interception: Rhineland 1945 is a combat flight simulation where a P61A Black Widow encounters a group (x3) of Foo Fighters. (this is the most basic scenario)

The game (despite me calling it a combat flight simulation it is still a game... just one with shootie bits) comes with the following...

1) x1 1:285 P61A Black Widow model that is unpainted and without decoration. It is well constructed though and has decent detail.

2) x3 Foo Fighters. Three red balls of swamp gas?

3) x4 Flight disks and flight stands. These also come with add-ins that show various game info.

4) various game terrain in a 2d fashion.

5) Quick reference sheets (QRS) for the Foo Fighters, the P61A Black Widow and any of the sequence info you'd need. All laminated and set out with easily read font. (I have old eyes)

6) a decal sheet for the P61A Black Widow

7) The rule book (bound to look like top secret info... a nice touch)

8) the requisite dice to play the game (x4 d10 I believe)

9) this is all set into a lovely carrier (plastic folio box with logo)

This is both a simple and complex game... simple in that the basic procedure is as such...

1)Observe the area around you: look for the enemy
2)Movement: moving the aircraft and making any necessary manoeuvers.
3)Shooting: fire at the enemy
4)Critical Hits: assuming you hit the enemy this is to check for debilitating damage
5)Scenario criteria met: did you win the game or is there more to do

The game is also complex in that this is a Combat Flight Simulation. You don't just point the ship in the direction that you want to go and shoot your guns 'pew, pew, pew' and blow something out of the sky. No, in this game you actually have to pay attention to flying your aircraft to make sure you can get the enemy into your sights. Because of how the aircraft/ufo are set-up... you can do your fancy flying and see the aircraft carry out your manoeuver requests on the flight stand. A chit doesn't give you visual evidence of why you missed that Jerry... but knowing your fighter was falling in a flat spin towards the earth would show perhaps why. (and just so you know... you can't fire when in a flat spin... your gunner is too busy puking his guts up... that's what you get for having a green crew)

Everything will seem a bit confusing the first time you play... the game does a great job of telling you how to make things work but if you're not used to playing such a game (I have my hand raised) then it'll be a bit daunting. The thing is... this is no harder to play than any other game of a similar nature... you merely follow the charts and you'll catch on so quick that you won't need to have them sitting on your lap by the end of the 3rd go round.

I'm not a skilled reviewer. And the mods have made it more than clear that my skill at photography borders on the non-existant. (that's why there aren't any photos... sorry) But please do take my word for it when I tell you that this is a game you'll want to try. If for no other reason then it really is a change for the different. It's not every game that lets you fly either a UFO or a highly efficient, well armed fighter craft in combat against each other. If you want a change after a while then you can always either purchase other 1:285 aircraft (this game simulates around WWII) from your local games store or online retailer or go to the website for the game at http://www.majicminiatures.com/index.html and see what else they have to offer.

I'd like to thank a few folks before I close off from this review.

To my nameless Secret Santa who made this review possible.. thanks... I've really enjoyed your gift.
To Oliver at Majic Miniatures for answering all my questions with both promptness and detail and being so willing to help me with my new enjoyment.
To my wife who patiently indulges me when I go all mad over my hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, have you checked out their website, have you seen their aircraft bases? Awesome! Thank you for the review. Otherwise I would never have seen these guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem... keep an eye out for their 6mm Weird War offering out sometime this year. I think it'll work with the Interception game as well. And yes... the flying bases are really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.