christine belsom
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
In New Orleans we used to find semi-decent games at thrift stores (we had one called Red, White and Blue that had a huge board games section), but our luck here in Austin, TX, has been sporadic at best.

We did find Dragonmaster at Half Price Books for almost nothing, but, er, I don't know if that constitutes a good find or a bad one.

If anyone has tips on where to thrift some good games in Austin, would you mind sharing? That would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there are no good thrift stores at all in Austin. Please move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll be a little more helpful. These are the locations I usually check out:

Goodwill - http://locator.goodwill.org/
Half-Price Books - http://www.halfpricebooks.com/find_a_store.html
Savers - http://www.savers.com/aboutus/storelocator.php

There are some other ones in South Austin that I go to:

Thrift Land
(512) 326-1510 512 W Stassney Ln # 107a
Austin,TX

Thrift Town
(512) 442-7200 5726 Manchaca Rd
Austin,TX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Carter

Pflugerville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had little luck at the Goodwills, but the Half Price Books on North Lamar (formerly on Guadalupe) has had a few gems over the years. The proximity to the university is what I always credited it with, now that it's moved further away it seems to have lost the proper crowd.
If you check out the HPB on North Lamar (by DPS), make sure you stop by Great Hall Games. It's practically next door and has a great selection. It's been a while since I stopped by, but I have friends that live closer that drop in all the time. They tend to put games on pretty steep clearances. Don't expect the latest releases to be clearanced, but you can usually find a few gems.
The majority of games I've found at thrift stores are all MB. It's pretty rare to find anything great or complete, they either get grabbed up quickly or people aren't getting rid of them.
If you're looking to play more games, there are several groups in town and UT, just do a google search and you should be able to find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christine belsom
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've noticed Goodwill here is pretty proud of their stuff, and like Neil I haven't had much luck there either.

Dan, thanks for giving up some of your secrets. I know it was a tough thing to do.

Thanks guys, and happy gaming!

I joined a couple of Austin game groups, but I can't go to the SoC meetup because I'm having non-gaming company and I have to be polite and not disappear for a couple of hours on Sat. Bah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a lot of kid games and older mass-market games at Austin thrift shops over the past six years. Lately, with no kid to buy for and so few quality (or even fun once!) game finds, I've kind of lost heart. I don't know what my Goodwill (on South Lamar) does with their games, but I don't think they put them out -- the kiddie shelves have maybe one or two Hannah Montana games. With missing lids.

There are some funny lists here about what thrift employees do, like with tape (one tiny piece of scotch tape or they wrap the whole thing five times with industrial packing tape!), and smashing and purposely leaving games open at toddler level, etc.

Or maybe online auctions and craigslist are the culprit. Too bad shipping costs are so high. And it's not nearly as fun to discover a game there as it is on a thrift store treasure hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
I never had any luck at any of the thrift stores here in Austin. I hear all those great thrifter finds, and think, where the hell do they live.(At least for games that I would find interesting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I never had any luck at any of the thrift stores here in Austin. I hear all those great thrifter finds, and think, where the hell do they live.(At least for games that I would find interesting.)

I know what you mean, they find this or that obscure German classic in shrink - who here bought that originally, much less donated it? The thrift store on Stassney that gets everything from Massachusetts has the best game shelf for kids' stuff -- sometimes with the upscale toy shop sticker still on it -- but there's nowhere for good games. (They also have a lot of stuff for Red Sox and Patriots fans and many, many winter coats.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. Would you believe that today after complaining here I found Betrayal at House on the Hill and Cashflow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls